Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 8 - Blues v Pies Fri May 3rd 7:40pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 38 36.2%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I suggest you listen to a podcast of Hoyne on SEN last night.
He said Geel are ranked 1 on Champion Data for scoring from turnover which was the reason they beat Carl - on the same stat Coll is ranked 3.
Coll is ranked 6 for defending turnover Carl ranked 13.
Geel lost clearances but stopped Carl from getting pure clearances, on most occasion thereby nullifying the advantage.
I recognised that in my post. I recognised that Collingwood will punish Carlton from turnovers.

Even Essendon last week destroyed Collingwood in the midfield and Collingwood still drew purely based on their ability to score readily from turnovers.

The reason why I think Carlton should win is actually because of the Geelong game. Carlton should have won that game but kicked themselves out of it due to their inaccuracy. If Carlton were more accurate, then the ball goes back into the centre where Carlton destroyed Geelong all day. But because Carlton were wasteful inside 50, Geelong took the ball coast to coast and scored with a ridiculous efficiency. They lost to Adelaide exactly the same way.

Whilst Carlton may be wasteful forward of centre again, I don't anticipate it happening. Even moderate efficiency should see Carlton win IMO. I also don't anticipate for Collingwood to be as efficient as Geelong and Adelaide inside 50. That's why Carlton are favourites to win and I believe they will. Whether they actually win is another story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they lose, I assume Carlton will trot out the "missing half our side" excuse (as if they're the only team with injuries). In reality, they're missing or may be missing Cerra, McGovern and Saad as walkups from their best 22 of 2024; the rest are of marginal influence or relevance and half are VFL scrubbers.

Like just about everyone else in the competition.
Not many teams are missing their first choice HB line and Martin was immense during our run last year.

Thank * Collingwood is the away team and will wear their clash jumper meaning all dark v all light.
Sure as * wouldn’t happen if Carlton was the away team.
Visually it will be bliss - unlike in Round 21 later this season.
We’ve been doing it this way for nearly 200 years and won’t be changing it for you Johnny Come Lately’s 😂

I recognised that in my post. I recognised that Collingwood will punish Carlton from turnovers.

Even Essendon last week destroyed Collingwood in the midfield and Collingwood still drew purely based on their ability to score readily from turnovers.

The reason why I think Carlton should win is actually because of the Geelong game. Carlton should have won that game but kicked themselves out of it due to their inaccuracy. If Carlton were more accurate, then the ball goes back into the centre where Carlton destroyed Geelong all day. But because Carlton were wasteful inside 50, Geelong took the ball coast to coast and scored with a ridiculous efficiency. They lost to Adelaide exactly the same way.

Whilst Carlton may be wasteful forward of centre again, I don't anticipate it happening. Even moderate efficiency should see Carlton win IMO. I also don't anticipate for Collingwood to be as efficient as Geelong and Adelaide inside 50. That's why Carlton are favourites to win and I believe they will. Whether they actually win is another story.
The game always rests on taking opportunities- Coll were wasteful against GWS. We kicked poorly and had more inside 50’s. Using your logic we should have won but didn’t- that’s life.

But a fundamental flaw of lacking the ability to defend turnover with a Ranking of 13 this season is endemic and is a huge issue for Voss.

Never seen anyone so invested in an opposition team

Not sure what last year has to do with this Friday night
Find it funny that the moment Fadge disappears, this guy suddenly appears out of no where and posts crap about us. Prior to that, never even heard of 'em.

Claims like mine?
You and your supporter base have just spent the past week telling me you should have won the game had you kicked straight or had fit players to choose from.
And they post how the Lions kicked 5.11 for remainder of the match but fail to mention it getting them across the line..

Back