Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 (23/04/24 PATCH: Sliders are here)

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Other than the grand final - if they play Adelaide Oval during the year (assuming they do?) do they have the AFL markings?
Adelaide and Port played SANFL but I assume as curtain raiser in Round 1 hence AFL markings on Adelaide Oval, but most Adelaide games are away. Port SANFL play at Alberton.
Adelaide SANFL are playing Peckers as curtain raiser for West Coast game in June at AO, so I guess you could say WHEN Adelaide SANFL plays at Adelaide Oval, there would be AFL markings, otherwise only time SANFL uses ground is for Finals.

Hey BigAntStudios
With set shots, or even shots on the run
(When the ball is clearly going over the line on the full) are we able to get a camera angle behind the goals in the opposite angle of the Shot.
Its abit silly for the camera angle to be centred if your snapping from a tight angle.

Or even better, a first persons view from the goal umpires position?

Regards

Haven't played for a week or so. How we lookin?
Wow, nevermind. I just played a half.
To be fair, I have zero interest in custom creator/novelty modes and only really care about general gameplay.
But what happened? I stopped for a week because I was frustrated with gamplay and now that I come back it's still got all the same bugs with a heap of new ones as well. 11 seconds into the match the ball was kicked from defensive 50 to out on the full in the forward 50. It was almost a 150m behind. Players teleporting, balls changing direction mid air, Stringer rotated to the backline.
This game was a decent game with a few hiccups a week ago. Now it's slipped back to unplayable status.

To be fair, I have zero interest in custom creator/novelty modes and only really care about general gameplay.
But what happened? I stopped for a week because I was frustrated with gamplay and now that I come back it's still got all the same bugs with a heap of new ones as well. 11 seconds into the match the ball was kicked from defensive 50 to out on the full in the forward 50. It was almost a 150m behind. Players teleporting, balls changing direction mid air, Stringer rotated to the backline.
This game was a decent game with a few hiccups a week ago. Now it's slipped back to unplayable status.
got to wait for another 10 stability patches

There have been 1,976 H&A SANFL senior men's games this century, 20 of which were played at either Football Park or the Adelaide Oval during the concurrent AFL seasons. 8 of those 20 were during the 2020 COVID season when no AFL matches were being played in Adelaide those weeks.

In the WAFL there have been 1,929 senior men's H&A games, 31 of which were played at either Subiaco or Perth Stadium during the concurrent AFL seasons.

51 games played at AFL venues out of a possible 3,905 this century.

Why are we worried about the darn logos on the field when the AFL affiliated team lists don’t have AFL listed players on them?
Because. It is all part of the game. It is another part of the experience. Big Ant's AFL23 gives so many options for customisation and I enjoy that. It gives the game more longevity too I guess.
People on here want different stuff and I maybe my tolerance for flawed gameplay is higher than most.
Most footy is played on fields without the darn logos on them.

Last edited:
Have you updated to the latest patch (new one coming out tonight/tomorrow pending on the platform your on) ?? Because I feel as it's a more enjoyable experience to where it has/was but that's just my opinion

Why do players just randomly fall to the ground before getting a chance to dispose the ball while clicking handball. This game is a joke, will this ever be fixed?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Patch is good on Steam, we're back to a happy place. The AI is beginning to have less space in attack which is fantastic, the momentum mechanic is working well, some of the commentary I believe deserves a bit of credit. Had my first game where is was one point the difference for most of the final quarter and there were a lot of comments I hadn't heard before.

The slow kicking has to go, the game doesn't need it to be 'hard' in its present state and it forcing me to play a slow, possession based game. In the two games I just had there was two running goals total and farcical scenarios of ~half dozen players standing around the goal square with two defenders and it's a ball up the majority of the time. This is an Evo 2 dynamic, one I'm happy to leave behind.

Automatically playing on if you don't walk back the full distance also isn't great, mainly again because you kick too slow. So you're stuck going back and taking the kick properly, again slowing everything down. Thank goodness the marking contests are generally fair.

Lucky last, what is up with holding the ball? I'm laying 20+ tackles a game, nothing. It's great that you can tackle more easily but it's almost like the rule doesn't exist for the AI. Hopefully that's a bug.

Super stoked, fingers crossed we build from here in terms of refining the gameplay.

Really good feedback MM, surprised you can hold off a full week especially with all the patching.

Agree that marking feels like a WIP but some really encouraging signs, I could be imagining it but I think there is a new animation (sometimes) when sprinting to grab the ball above head height.

With the timing, I'm finding it consistent more often than not. One challenge is the end to end view is easily the most immersive (imo) and you often can't see the ball at the highest point.

Ross has confirmed the game has momentum, it is definitely harder to mark when it kicks in so I can only imagine how tough it is on Hard.

I mean there is a fun game there underneath all of the crap. Obviously I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes, but I can rarely call a game that feels so.... unevenly developed?

Visually it looks beautiful.
The animations are largely superb. It always surprised me that previous games struggled to get basics like kicks looking good, but here they look beautiful and there are so many different types.
There are a million beautiful looking stadiums and special heritage guernseys and such.

But then you go to play it and it crashes every second game and is missing pretty basic Aussie Rules fundamentals like pack marks and gang tackles.

Loving all the patches BigAntStudios and where the game is it some niche things I’d like to see added

More pack marks with more then 2 players where most likely the ball get spoiled and players stay on the ground longer after big pack marks and hard tackles..

After a forward marks in 50 and is most likely to have a shot. The players start walking back with back against the goal rather then jog backwards before you press set shot..

More players wear long sleeves in colder weather games

Injuries during gameplay

Free kicks sometimes paid when jostling for pulling on the jumper (not to often though)

More cut scenes when the whistle goes instead of just the afl logo popping up and the players are all in position

Just some quick ones I thought of before work. Might post some more later. Cheers

Played a game post patch #16. CPU marking seems less OP. I reckon if they toned down the magnetic AI tackling of your players, actually allowing you to get a kick off, there is a potential for a decent game here.

Still got issues with automatically playing on from a free kick when you don't mean to.

I occasionally do a guest lecture on IP Law at a law school, my go to, to start class discussions is a five second clip of RLL4 that has 500+ pieces of individual IP contained within it.

There is not only the rights holders, there's also their obscure wishes, let's say a property owner does not want their property placed near gambling, alcohol, etc. or even presented with X minutes of them. Then there's the straight our platform holder issues of guerilla marketing issues.
Speaking of rugby league games, anyone have any idea who has the license and if there is a new one in the works? Some of my favourite sports gaming memories were from early RL games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back