Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 (23/04/24 PATCH: Sliders are here)

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m 90% sure it goes in the direction you are pointing the analog stick when you release powering up your disposal.

I tracked it today in the 2 games I played. It's a bit of both - you have to time the release perfectly otherwise there's a late turn into traffic. If you couldn't change direction while powering up the game would be broken, so you can. But if you want to change your kick direction last minute you need to time it perfectly.

Tbh I don't mind this. In my mind it kind of replicates pressure - you're about to be tackled, so your kick can't go exactly where you want. I know it's not how AFL works in reality, but we're never gonna get that level of AI, so this as a stop gap solution works ok. The example for me that happened 3-4 times was streaming off half back, being chased, try to get my kick along boundary but due to pressure from behind I didn't nail the redirect and it went out on the full. I like that as a mechanic rather than always nailing the kick which makes gameplay repetitive.

I tracked it today in the 2 games I played. It's a bit of both - you have to time the release perfectly otherwise there's a late turn into traffic. If you couldn't change direction while powering up the game would be broken, so you can. But if you want to change your kick direction last minute you need to time it perfectly.

Tbh I don't mind this. In my mind it kind of replicates pressure - you're about to be tackled, so your kick can't go exactly where you want. I know it's not how AFL works in reality, but we're never gonna get that level of AI, so this as a stop gap solution works ok. The example for me that happened 3-4 times was streaming off half back, being chased, try to get my kick along boundary but due to pressure from behind I didn't nail the redirect and it went out on the full. I like that as a mechanic rather than always nailing the kick which makes gameplay repetitive.
Your direction wouldn't be locked unless you choose it to be that way. If the option is there to lock direction and aim somewhere else great, if you choose not to use it, that's great to. But having the option there would be a bonus if not just to be able to do 1-2 handballs without moving.

How often during real footy do players run towards the boundary near the forward 50 while avoiding opposition and then kick to the hot spot at the top of the goal square? You can't replicate that as easily currently

Your direction wouldn't be locked unless you choose it to be that way. If the option is there to lock direction and aim somewhere else great, if you choose not to use it, that's great to. But having the option there would be a bonus if not just to be able to do 1-2 handballs without moving.

How often during real footy do players run towards the boundary near the forward 50 while avoiding opposition and then kick to the hot spot at the top of the goal square? You can't replicate that as easily currently

Yeah but that ties into what I was saying. If we give attackers every type or flexibility then we need defensive AI to be perfect. Otherwise particularly in online play the ball will never be turned over. It's a difficult balancing act I think

In EA FC (FIFA) the left stick will control the player’s direction up until the moment you start charging a shot or pass - from when you press the button, the game has your player continuing their movement whilst the left stick now directs the shot or pass.
This is all split-second stuff, in that you must immediately redirect your stick from player movement direction to the direction you want the ball to go if you want it to register in time.

I don’t see why this couldn’t be the case in AFL 23.

Just had my 2nd loss to Bris by 5 points. Won the hitouts narrowly and basically even in contested marks. Was good, and really fun when the game plays this way. Just gonna be a broken record and reiterate that hitouts are too important, and contested marks are too binary/important. Ball should spill more often from marking contests or be spoiled more often.

Just won 84-10 v Doggies. Was 84-2 at 3qtr time and then the difficulty swing thing kicked in and I couldn't get a run on. Won the hitouts 43-1 lol, this is the gamebreaker atm, way too much power when you win hitouts.

Along with the ruck dominance, its also very AFL Live 2004-esque how you can just tap to a mid, clearance kick always goes to FF and take an easy grab and goal. Needs to be tuned a fair bit.

Along with the ruck dominance, its also very AFL Live 2004-esque how you can just tap to a mid, clearance kick always goes to FF and take an easy grab and goal. Needs to be tuned a fair bit.

Tbh I haven't really done that, do you mean just a regularly powered kick or the actual clearance kick button combo? But yeah I did notice this earlier, that after getting first possession from a hitout you're basically immune from being tackled for 2 seconds - defs needs tuning, and like I said earlier hitouts should miss the target long/short/sideways to add some variance to gameplay.

Tbh I haven't really done that, do you mean just a regularly powered kick or the actual clearance kick button combo? But yeah I did notice this earlier, that after getting first possession from a hitout you're basically immune from being tackled for 2 seconds - defs needs tuning, and like I said earlier hitouts should miss the target long/short/sideways to add some variance to gameplay.

I mean the actual clearance kick button combo (L2 + X on PS5) and yeah there’s a small time lapse when winning the ruck tap to execute this easily every single time. Yeah I dont think the footy is actually ‘alive’ enough in a lot of instances. Always hits a target or contest…should be far more live ground contests or kicks to space.

I mean the actual clearance kick button combo (L2 + X on PS5) and yeah there’s a small time lapse when winning the ruck tap to execute this easily every single time. Yeah I dont think the footy is actually ‘alive’ enough in a lot of instances. Always hits a target or contest…should be far more live ground contests or kicks to space.

Yeah the field kicking to space is a key miss at the moment. There should be skill in executing the right amount of power and aim to hit a target. Right now it just locks on and half the time completely ignores the power meter. I miss the AFL Live mechanic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After many run throughs of management mode, I finally got a trade offer from another club.

Deep into 2028 as the trade period was about to shut and I’d completed all my trades, I got this.
IMG_5216.jpeg
Port offering pick 28 for a key defender I’d drafted with Pick 3 a season earlier with a potential of 99. Standard low ball that I could either accept, reject or counter but was just honestly surprised I finally got an offer after all this time.

IMG_5217.jpeg

Last edited:
After many run throughs of management mode, I finally got a trade offer from another club.

Deep into 2028 as the trade period was about to shut and I’d completed all my trades, I got this.
View attachment 1961617
Port offering pick 28 for a key defender I’d drafted with Pick 3 a season earlier with a potential of 99. Standard low ball that I could either accept, reject or counter but was just honestly surprised I finally got an offer after all this time.

View attachment 1961619
lets just hope next update they will fix managment mode, because i remember i used to get a few trade offers each year now i get none.

Not sure why people get so excited over sliders. Never seen a game fixed with sliders ever. What ends up happening is a never ending adjustment that people think gives them the perfect experience only to realise that it isn’t and the cycle continues.
Load up Evo 2, play for a few minutes then set marking, tackle distance and chance of umpire decision to extremely low. If there is a fumbles slider (I can't remember) then jack that up.

The game becomes 50 times better imo.

Just got belted by the Hawks. 62-31 in the end but won the last quarter 19-6 so was 56-12 at three quarter time.

Was a really enjoyable game actually. Got smashed in hitouts and contested marks so just couldn't get a run on anywhere. Played around with tactics without luck, until the last quarter I switched to a full zone and by then had accepted I was losing marks so started spoiling more. Hawthorn stopped being able to penetrate my defence so easily and my rebounds were a lot better with this structure.

This is everything I want in a footy game. On the fly tactics, frustration, helplessness but then still able to mitigate. And with that comes satisfaction and reward for winning. I'm now 11-3 on the season so officially the first AFL game where I don't go 22-0 every year, so that's something.

I do think this is on the brink of being a very very good game, it just depends on how much appetite they have to fix up management mode and tweak the gameplay that needs tweaking. Sliders should help anyway, make hitouts harder to win and marks harder to take and we're a long way there.

Second game, beat Blues 94-58. Hitouts I lost narrowly but dominated contested marks again. Still a fun game overall and enjoy how each game plays differently.

Have noticed, and I think this has been there forever I just haven't taken advantage of it, the 'lag' before you can get tackled after winning a hitout is so long. Can literally turn around, not get tackled, run 10 metres forward and kick it pretty much every time. If they removed this mechanic for both human and AI then the hitouts would stop being OP and game would be more balanced, while still giving an advantage for dominant ruckmen. The stoppage fest I feel is what they are trying to avoid but being able to dispose of the ball from a tackle removes this issue.

lets just hope next update they will fix managment mode, because i remember i used to get a few trade offers each year now i get none.
Yeah fingers crossed. I have no idea how it's supposed to work - you'd expect 3-5 offers a season would be decent. I think since release, I've probably played a combined 20 seasons throughout my saves and never once received an offer until the one pictured.

I actually had an in-game injury at one point too during that season. Harry Morrison was crunched in a tackle, then was at 100% fatigue for the rest of the quarter and wouldn't sprint, so I subbed him. He was then out for 4 weeks with a knee injury. Not sure if it was all a coincidence and I was looking for things that weren't there.

Still not a fan of the regression of stats though - not sure that'll be fixed up. Had Jack Scrimshaw in brownlow form, absolutely dominating the backline and stats. Lead the comp for marks, contested marks etc. Then just randomly heading into a late season match, he dropped down to 67 overall and couldn't take a mark to save himself. Went from being captain and our best player to be dropped for finals as a severe liability. By the end of the season he'd regressed even further to 62 and I had to trade him away. Same thing happened with Karl Amon and James Sicily - one game they're dominating, the next they've dropped down by 20 OVR and are plodding along.

the 'lag' before you can get tackled after winning a hitout is so long. Can literally turn around, not get tackled, run 10 metres forward and kick it pretty much every time.
Yeah this feels like a bug. It wasn't there before the March Update... it used to be impossible to get a clearance... but now it's swung the opposite way.
Agree that we need a happy medium between the two.... not always a clear possession... but not always another stoppage.
For me, Right Stick timing to evade/fend, or Clearance Kicks/Handballs (with randomness) plus the chance to dispose while being tackled.... that'd hopefully bring some balance.

Yeah this feels like a bug. It wasn't there before the March Update... it used to be impossible to get a clearance... but now it's swung the opposite way.
Agree that we need a happy medium between the two.... not always a clear possession... but not always another stoppage.
For me, Right Stick timing to evade/fend, or Clearance Kicks/Handballs (with randomness) plus the chance to dispose while being tackled.... that'd hopefully bring some balance.

Yeah agreed, the clearance kick/handballs are a good way of letting the ball come out without too much control.

As someone else mentioned, I hadn't really used it until they did but the L1 kick modifier to pinpoint a target does seem a bit OP. Using regular kick to pass is the right solution, the 'precision pass' should remain but require perfect power, too much and it sprays left or right, too little and it falls short. Higher risk and higher reward. As in real footy, if you kick to a general space with some flight you'll hit your target more often than if you spear it in, but the spear option reduces defender ability to spoil if executed well. At the moment we only have the second part of that, not the first.

Yeah agreed, the clearance kick/handballs are a good way of letting the ball come out without too much control.

As someone else mentioned, I hadn't really used it until they did but the L1 kick modifier to pinpoint a target does seem a bit OP. Using regular kick to pass is the right solution, the 'precision pass' should remain but require perfect power, too much and it sprays left or right, too little and it falls short. Higher risk and higher reward. As in real footy, if you kick to a general space with some flight you'll hit your target more often than if you spear it in, but the spear option reduces defender ability to spoil if executed well. At the moment we only have the second part of that, not the first.

Agree but I have had a fair few forward entries get cut off with an L1 pass. The problem is it only happens when you rush it, when you take your time the difficulty barrier evaporates.

I commend BA for not using any sneaky tricks, or at least hiding them very well, but this could be a bit of a challenge. You don't want the AI running faster than you can, and you don't want to slow the game down. I think you're right, BA need to make the disposal itself harder.

Agree but I have had a fair few forward entries get cut off with an L1 pass. The problem is it only happens when you rush it, when you take your time the difficulty barrier evaporates.

I commend BA for not using any sneaky tricks, or at least hiding them very well, but this could be a bit of a challenge. You don't want the AI running faster than you can, and you don't want to slow the game down. I think you're right, BA need to make the disposal itself harder.

Yeah just played another game (lost 36-40 to Freo in the wet) and tried L1 more - found it worked well to about the wing but then as you said, can get harder. But would like to see more variance, or at least more impact on kick quality based on who's kicking the ball. Should be an actual incentive to get the ball to your best kicks instead of everyone basically being the same.

Again though having a lot of fun with the game. A lot of the risk-reward in general play feels right. Find myself spoiling out of bounds a lot in D50, probably not a great stategy currently given if I lose the hitout it's an auto shot at goal for the opposition, but if clearances are fixed this is awesome. And then when I was behind late going for speccies when in position, which basically if you don't nail it is a mark and shot at goal for the oppo.

I was avoiding and will continue avoid using the clearance free space hack, instead will handball or do a quick kick forward. I hate playing games where I know if I want to I can manipulate and abuse to get the win, so really hope they fix this next patch.

Definitely find myself adjusting tactics game by game. Freo were killing me early when I played the zone but switched to man on man and evened up a lot. And using R1 to peel off and try to smother/intercept when you know they're out if you don't, and knowing you need to nail the position and timing to execute makes it feel super satisfying when you pull it off. Though when you try to smother and the opposition run straight past you, not so much fun, but very realistic!

Agree clearance kicks are probably the most OP of all, I'm almost happy when it backfires. After I've won a flag or two I can definitely see myself following suit and not using any kick-to-win strategies. Hopefully the sliders allow you to nerf the disposal.

While on the topic, I REALLY hope BA allow community slider files and support a server running two or three of the most popular settings. It's free gameplay tuning for them and should in theory extend the life of the game for the tragics.

EDIT - just had my first full game since the last patch. A lot more changes than I was expecting, things like players dropping the ball towards the end of a big mark, the AI playing on more aggressively and the ump being a bit less fair or unexpected (has to be new, I was pinged for HTB for the first time in months doing the same old clearance handball). AI kicking for goal is worse and some things are looking a bit shakier but the game feels a bit closer to the real thing over all. A lot more HB intercepts from the AI, I used to be able to do whatever I wanted half the time.

Sure it seems like it's one step forward and then one step back (or worse), but I think these little changes are being made with the eye of someone who watches the footy and has an idea of what they want to do with the gameplay imo.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back