AFL @ Adelaide's Oval - That time is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Indeed there is a vast difference in population. But true, like the US we love our sport. For example, the largest attendance at a sporting event in Adelaide was the 1976 SANFL (state footy league, long before the Crows era) grand final. 66,897 people showed up - that's nearly a tenth of the city's entire population at the time. It was so full that they let the kids and teenagers (including my dad) sit on the grass right behind the boundary line. 'Now don't cross the line kids!' the policeman said, wagging his finger. 'Yes sir,' they replied. 'We respected rules back in my day,' my father then says.

I love that...and exactly why I "adopted" the Crows. That is a great story.

I've sat there a few times. It's not too bad. Good back up option if you don't have reserved seats and are running late.

Its the option i use when i take my girls. We get there just over an hour before the game starts, and that's ample time. Typically nab row AA. Not too bad a view, the girls love it. Then at half time we head to the North-West part of the hill so they can have a run around with the footy and i can still watch the game.

You are right, it isn't the reason the fans go to games at places like Michigan. You go because you love the school, you love the program and you love the team. Loyalty for sure.

Just like in Cleveland we pack the place for Browns games not because of winning (god knows that isn't happening) but merely a badly misplaced sense of loyalty and for those of us 40+ the remembrance of fielding a competitive team in our youth! ;)
It is the factory or sadness after all.

Not sure if anyone has noticed but on the AFL Tables site (Unofficial but amazingly comprehensive) they lists different attendances for matches at Adelaide Oval compared to those announced on match day. It's only occurred this year.

When I asked him about it he said Adelaide Oval is the only venue in the AFL that includes all match day staff in the original figure, and then there is a revised total afterwards which he receives from the AFL.

So the match day crowd for showdown 39 was 54,468, the revised total was 53,518.

Against the suns, the crowd was announced as 42,656, revised total was 41,715.

Has this been done deliberately by Adelaide Oval for a bit of gloating? Or laziness?

Not sure if anyone has noticed but on the AFL Tables site (Unofficial but amazingly comprehensive) they lists different attendances for matches at Adelaide Oval compared to those announced on match day. It's only occurred this year.

When I asked him about it he said Adelaide Oval is the only venue in the AFL that includes all match day staff in the original figure, and then there is a revised total afterwards which he receives from the AFL.

So the match day crowd for showdown 39 was 54,468, the revised total was 53,518.

Has this been done deliberately by Adelaide Oval for a bit of gloating? Or laziness?
Both gloating and laziness, I'd say. It's annoying, as when an attendance figure is announced you expect it to be accurate. Therefore Friday night's crowd would have just failed to crack 50,000.

If the SMA has only been releasing inflated figures this year, perhaps it's an attempt to cloak the inevitable drop-off in crowds, caused by increased prices and the novelty wearing off.

That's 950 and 941 people added to the total respectively. I'll have to check more stats but that seems like a pretty round figure of extras

Match|Home Crowd|Revised Crowd|Difference
\R1: North Melbourne|46591|45607|984
\R3: Melbourne|43713|42834|879
\R5: Port Adelaide|49735|49617|118
\R7: St Kilda|43532|42795|737
\R9: Fremantle|45518|45009|509
\R12: Hawthorn|50023|49108|915
\R16: Port Adelaide|54468|53518|950
\R17: Gold Coast|42656|41715|915

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Match|Home Crowd|Revised Crowd|Difference
\R1: North Melbourne|46591|45607|984
\R3: Melbourne|43713|42834|879
\R5: Port Adelaide|49735|49617|118
\R7: St Kilda|43532|42795|737
\R9: Fremantle|45518|45009|509
\R12: Hawthorn|50023|49108|915
\R16: Port Adelaide|54468|53518|950
\R17: Gold Coast|42656|41715|915

Round 5 is different because the Crows announced a different "official figure" of 50,509 compared to what Adelaide Oval announced on the night. So the final figure of 49,617 fits in with that 900 difference.

It would be the only explanation for the inflated figure, as they don't have enough time to subtract the staff off the scanning numbers.
You'd think these days they could have a staff pass, and the mighty computer just takes staff of the total. I recon I could even whip up an excel formula to work this out for them.

You'd think these days they could have a staff pass, and the mighty computer just takes staff of the total. I recon I could even whip up an excel formula to work this out for them.

I think Adelaide Oval like the fact the revised figure isn't really released publicly, so the extra 1000 fans on the figure is a plus for them anyway.

They have been talking about this on the Port page all year, one thing none of them can say that if these revised figures were true, then why do afl.com.au NOT change the attendances down?

If true (about staff scanning in being counted - why shouldn't they counted anyway?) that the SMA are rounding down attendance numbers then surely the media would have picked up on this by now.

This is why I think this is a non story, as if it was official it would be big news by now and it isn't.

They should have a two rows of statues of SA greats as you walk down to the eastern gates. F*** me it's the only acknowledgements SANFL footy history gets if we do it ourselves.....might even educate some of our own at the same time.
While I'm at it. The southern side of the ground should be dedicated to indigenous SA players as my understanding is that Pinky Flat was a significant area for aboriginals pre and post white settlement. I'll let others more informed correct me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back