Opinion AFL ART - Do we see enough of it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
With the AFL now a cultural phenomenon in Australia, is there room for more art? If you watch 4 to 5 games a week, you can feel a bit like something is missing in your life! Not only is it wall to wall footy, it's an advertising overdose. This is little art in advertising ,it is more likely to be constant brand exposure.As humans we need art and music to balance out our work/life/AFL balance.An AFL art show for 30 minutes a week would be a start. Here's some examples of good AFL art that adds to our
Kultcha.
. images.jpeg.jpg Resized_1549412110983946410491276024840001_6485.jpeg s-l400.jpg f41b1afe3cce6b5560d3847fe6217d14.jpeg

I commissioned this 'Stencil Art' piece by a young street artist, Kirpy. He has gone on to have successful exhibitions in Melbourne and in Germany. This one is of Cameron Ling and the Geelong team in 2007 after Ling's 150th game in which the Cats beat the Pies

1549416587886.png

• Banned
Heres a famous one from yesteryear .
Lou Richards, Jack Regan and Phonse Kyne. Three_of_the_Players_-_John_Brack_(1953).jpg
Seeking verities beyond the everyday suburban fringe, Brack wittily likens the three Collingwood football personalities in their black and white striped jumpers to three types of players as present in the ages of man. The bulk of youth looks observantly to the older player, eye-lined with experience, while dogged determination is captured in the maturity of the manly profile.

— Deutscher and Hackett,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

G3113LAQC.1-1.jpg

Good thread! Always liked this painting of Richo. It really reminds you what it was like to barrack for Richmond in the 2000s. If I could find a decent copy / scan I would have it up on the wall.

View attachment 615389

Found this one for $3 at a Savers in Shepparton once. Couldn't have worked out any better being my favourite season of all time.
Do they still make them???

How has nobody mentioned my AFLW cum Pop Art tribute thread yet? Some of the stuff in it is... ok.
AFLW_Poster_EllieBlackburn_zps5ecybcam.png

And you had bloody well better check out Mowse's mascot thread if you're any kind of true BFer.

:thumbsu: Like it, simply a painting of a photo doesnt cut it for me. Needs a bit of artistic licence, as a motor racing afficionardo its paintings arent cheap & distinguish themselves from photos by a bit of artistic flair IMHO.
Theres a market out here waiting ....

Found this one for $3 at a Savers in Shepparton once. Couldn't have worked out any better being my favourite season of all time.
Do they still make them???
Yeah but only games featuring the premiers of that season. Used to be a must buy around the late 2000s when it was every game reviewed. Was looking for a 2018 edition but had to settle for the WCE almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Back