Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2022 - Tsatas, Hayes, Davey x2, Munkara & Montgomerie

Who should we take with Pick 4? (Pick 2)

• Tsatas

Votes: 60 27.9%
  • Humphrey

Votes: 33 15.3%
  • Phillipou

Votes: 109 50.7%
  • Clark

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 17 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick links: Player Contract Status | Trade & Free Agency 2022 | JHA Father/Son and NGA | Adrian Dodoro

0093895D-8D9D-4EFD-93DB-32FA70C2A596.jpeg

Last edited:

Brad Scott didn’t give much away in his interview (no surprise) but he did say we should be focusing on talent instead of need, as that could change in 12 months time .

I think we will end up picking Tsatas from that comment

From the interviews live stuff etc.
Tsatas interview (clip from earlier) spoke highly of Wardlaw being the inside bull that could feed his bursts out of the stoppage. A similar pairing with Hobbs would seem like a good fit.
Beatson from Sydney said that they had a top 7 in their first tier. Then 10 in their second tier.
Brad Scott was asked about Tsatas vs Phillipou. Mentioned Phillipou first, but said both would be great players. Also that he doesn't have a say.
He did say that he rates a number of qualities with the first selection. Leadership was the first of these qualities he spoke about.
Cal pushed McGrath to half back idea, which Scott seemed to agree with.

Brad Scott didn’t give much away in his interview (no surprise) but he did say we should be focusing on talent instead of need, as that could change in 12 months time .

I think we will end up picking Tsatas from that comment

Talent instead of need is an even dumber comment than best available. It's dumb if you believe it when you say it (as a professional).

If you're picking on talent you'd take Allen wouldn't you?

As in, if everyone gets to his maximum potential you've got a 194cm Dangerfield around a stoppage.

Last edited:
Talent instead of need is an even dumber comment that best available. It's dumb if you believe it when you say it (as a professional).

As in, if everyone gets to their maximum potential you've got a 194cm Dangerfield around a stoppage.
The best talent available at that pick. It’s normal drsft strategy to pick the best player available high in the draft.

Talent instead of need is an even dumber comment that best available. It's dumb if you believe it when you say it (as a professional).

As in, if everyone gets to their maximum potential you've got a 194cm Dangerfield around a stoppage.
Don’t disagree with you. I’d much prefer we go with Phillipou who has the higher ceiling (in my view).

The best talent available at that pick. It’s normal drsft strategy to pick the best player available high in the draft.

I was going to say it is meaningless but it seems to have a meaning, to justify not building a list/selecting a player you don't actually need.

There is no such thing as an outside version of the player who is the 'best available' player in my book this early in a draft. Gun key forward, unless I've got 2 young ones, and pack busting, >186cm, really quick inside mid who rotates forward. They're the sort of players you can't count on being available every draft let alone at your pick in the draft he turns up.

If I'm at Melbourne I can justify outside speed and class without a moment's hesitation.

It also comes down to how people see the game. Are you an Essendon recruiter who only seems notice the aftermath of a stoppage? Or are you focusing on how the ball got there?

There is virtually nothing objective about drafting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a dream, they we select Phillipou at 4, Hewett fell to our pick 22, A.Davey gets bided on after pick 30, Munkara gets to us after pick 40, J.Davey gets to us in the rookie draft. 2023 draft, Parish leaves and gets us first round compensation. We select Harley Reid and Watson. 2024 we repeat history with another baby bombers flag triumph 🥹. Then I wake up.
Dream or delusion?:smile::tearsofjoy:

Melb seem pretty keen to make something happen so I think the best course is to just wait and see if they're willing to up the offer.
If we can keep 22, I’d probably just take the deal tbh. 3 first round picks for one pick is just too hard to say no to, especially if it’s for Tsatas, I’d be a day light robbery if we got those picks instead of Tsatas.
We could really solve a lot of holes on our list with those picks, and if Parish leaves too and we finish 15th, get another top 5 pick in a strong draft. Wow imagine our draft haul and trade currency.
We could certainly throw a big offer to Tom Green and have the currency, or we can get Finn Callaghan and get in his ear right now about not signing an extension.

Are teams that are coming for pick 4 basically after Humphry? Otherwise wouldnt you be trying to pay less to get pick 6 from the hawks as i thought they were open to trading that pick
Unless clubs are of the understanding that Gold Coast will draft Humphrey. At which point our pick is the only one potentially available.

Unless clubs are of the understanding that Gold Coast will draft Humphrey. At which point our pick is the only one potentially available.
Yep what i was hinting at

Could potentially create an interesting change in order

Dees 5 Humphry
Suns 6 Ginbey
Hawks 7 Mckenzie
Cats 8 J.Clark
WCE 9 Ed Allen
Saints 10 Tsatas/Phillipou
Blues 11 Tsatas/Hollands

Tsatas/Phillipou?

Talent instead of need is an even dumber comment than best available. It's dumb if you believe it when you say it (as a professional).

As in, if everyone gets to his maximum potential you've got a 194cm Dangerfield around a stoppage.

Talent and potential are two different things.

Yep what i was hinting at

Could potentially create an interesting change in order

Dees 5 Humphry
Suns 6 Ginbey
Hawks 7 Mckenzie
Cats 8 J.Clark
WCE 9 Ed Allen
Saints 10 Tsatas/Phillipou
Blues 11 Tsatas/Hollands

Tsatas/Phillipou?
If it was to play out like that, you surely go back to Gold Coast and shake down a better deal.

the Melbourne deal isn't good. But if you could make Gold Coast believe that they would miss out on Humphrey.

Actually he is not a great kick. He is an okay kick.
Is not a balanced midfielder either as he does not have a physical game. Does not defend. Does not tackle.
Have watched him at every chance I have had including live games as he was rated top 5 at the start of the year.
What he does do well is read the ball of the hand and gets going early and he has good speed.
His last game against Country he had one of the worst work rates I have seen and his physical presence was Cutler level.
Everything about this screams welcome to Essendon

If it was to play out like that, you surely go back to Gold Coast and shake down a better deal.

the Melbourne deal isn't good. But if you could make Gold Coast believe that they would miss out on Humphrey.
I dont think its as terrible as many suggest. People hate trading back, it delays things in the short term but sometimes can be the better move long term

Gold Coast might not have much of a gap between Humphry and Ginbey but could be worth trying to get a F2 to move back 1 spot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back