AFL Player # 5: Elijah Tsatas - Signs a two-year extension! - 22/2

Remove this Banner Ad

On a wing your told to hold your width at contests, I think it’s a confidence thing and being a young player he is unsure when he should or shouldn’t go to a contest in case he doesn’t impact and is burnt the other way. Parish and Merrett both have had those moments in their career so yeah I’m not too concerned about that at this stage.
I agree and I think they are only playing him there as it is a spot to give him senior experience as the midfield is full and he is not physically ready for a full time midfield gig. Personally I would like to see him get some midfield time in the VFL as well to hone what will be his one wood. As much as I would like to see him playing a more physical role I can hold on that as he has improved in that area and although it needs to go further his body is still developing. It is not like he has had a clear run in the last 3 years to be ready to explode early.

Looks like they’re trying to build up his tank while he’s working on his foot skills etc. important to build the tank while he can as when injuries happen he will have a higher fitness base to build from/wont set him back as far like the previous injuries did.

Was hoping too see more potential from him in the VFL today.

Saw a couple of things as to why he maybe got dropped. Few times not blocking for team-mates after giving it off and lacked the composure shown by roberts

Was hoping too see more potential from him in the VFL today.

Saw a couple of things as to why he maybe got dropped. Few times not blocking for team-mates after giving it off and lacked the composure shown by roberts
Nope.
Have you watched every AFL side ? There would be a 5 on 5 comp if they where dropping blokes for not blocking or shepherding.
It is a pet hate of mine but it is not really coached in junior footy anymore and most AFL side prefer to give the footy and then run forward rather than shepherding . Hate it with a passion but it is what it is. How many times do you see Parish or Merrett actually look to shepherd at every opportunity ? You do not. I would coach it. AFL coaches do not.

He was left out for not attacking the contest a few times. Today he went a long way towards rectifying that. I did not mid the fact he gave away a high free kick for just running in and crashing a bloke in one of the tackles. He showed a bit of purpose today.

I have my question marks on his physical side. Did not rate it all all before the draft and personally I want to see more of today on a regular basis but you can not question the fact that today he was told to put more effort in and he did. Got to play in his natural spot and he put effort in.

Nope.
Have you watched every AFL side ? There would be a 5 on 5 comp if they where dropping blokes for not blocking or shepherding.
It is a pet hate of mine but it is not really coached in junior footy anymore and most AFL side prefer to give the footy and then run forward rather than shepherding . Hate it with a passion but it is what it is. How many times do you see Parish or Merrett actually look to shepherd at every opportunity ? You do not. I would coach it. AFL coaches do not.

He was left out for not attacking the contest a few times. Today he went a long way towards rectifying that. I did not mid the fact he gave away a high free kick for just running in and crashing a bloke in one of the tackles. He showed a bit of purpose today.

I have my question marks on his physical side. Did not rate it all all before the draft and personally I want to see more of today on a regular basis but you can not question the fact that today he was told to put more effort in and he did. Got to play in his natural spot and he put effort in.
Agree with most of this. Dropping back from AFL to VFL is a big change too - not just the general skill level across the board but also systems they have, and players like him who are developing and want back in the ones may have different set of instructions and strategy for the game. I think he'll be a good one but plenty of competition for now - maybe if setters doesn't come up he'll get a chance next week as we need a deep engine room against port

Nope.

Give the footy and run forward, or give the footy and jog? You shouldn't have the guy you handballed to ran down by a player that runs past you. That happened to Tsatas in the third.

Nope.

Yep understand the argument no one blocks but usually they run to provide a option.

I don't often see a player give it and Just stand and watch a team mate get run down. Was no voice or urgency from tsatas at all.

Give the footy and run forward, or give the footy and jog? You shouldn't have the guy you handballed to ran down by a player that runs past you. That happened to Tsatas in the third.
Yeah it did. I never said he had ironed out every flaw in his game.
Pretty simple. He was not dropped for not blocking. He was dropped for lack of physical effort at a few contests. He should give and run but in general his physical effort was 300% better than what he showed against Sydney. He still has work to do which is why I was all for him getting back to the VFL and playing midfield. I am not bias either way on him.

Yep understand the argument no one blocks but usually they run to provide a option.

I don't often see a player give it and Just stand and watch a team mate get run down. Was no voice or urgency from tsatas at all.
Like I said above never said his game was out of the box or he had fixed all his issues. Are we going to keep jumping on him for everything he does wrong or is this more of I hate Dodoro and his draft selections ? He made a massive step forward in what he was doing. It was good to see he was prepared to crack in and have a go even if he still had some moments.

I thought he had intensity at the ball without necessarily getting reward yesterday.
Looked like he was stalking the ball well if it went to ground.
Didn’t see as much from the restarts, bit of attention from Sandy players but nothing abnormal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like I said above never said his game was out of the box or he had fixed all his issues. Are we going to keep jumping on him for everything he does wrong or is this more of I hate Dodoro and his draft selections ? He made a massive step forward in what he was doing. It was good to see he was prepared to crack in and have a go even if he still had some moments.
I think he'l become a good afl player. Just stating I understand why he is the vfl now and has some pretty obvious flaws he has to work on.

I also stated I really like roberts.

This kid has played 6 games.. YES 6. So let's maybe judge him after 60?? Once he grows into that frame he will likely grow in confidence at AFL level and be able to increase his contest work.
This whole the player needs to be the finished product when they debut is laughable, was his first full pre szn too after some bad injures in 2022-23

Last edited:
This kid has played 6 games.. YES 6. So let's maybe judge him after 60?? Once he grows into that frame he will likely grow in confidence at AFL level and be able to increase his contest work.
This whole the player needs to be the finished product when they debut in laughable, was his first full pre szn too after some bad injures in 2022-23
Happy to be especiallly patient with him given his athleticism is a big part of his game and it has been hampered by continuous injury. He’s tracking well imo

Its true about the lightning hands - did the quickest grab and dish off I have seen in the last qtr vs the Swans which setup a goal.

Massive upside.

Anyone who was down on the Parish selection for being too vanilla should be a fan of the Tsatas selection. Yep, there's knocks on his kicking and his ferocity at present - but there's also every chance that when he is 23 he is an absolute game breaker.
What is the ultra-elite skill? Or role you can see him developing into.

I see him becoming a good best 22 player pretty quicky but not seeing the superstar or game breaker streak.

I see him becoming a good best 22 player pretty quicky but not seeing the superstar or game breaker streak.
Think his ceiling is a Darcy Parish/Matt Crouch type with a bit more speed.

Perkins, Martin and Caddy are the young guys on our list with top end potential.

He’s an inside mid with the same uncanny sticky hands as Parish - but with elite ability to break out of congestion.

He’s way more explosive than Parish.

He will also turn out to be our best marking midfielder. Will be a big unit too, great frame for it.

Will need a Hobbs & Durham around him for the true bash and crash. But I reckon he will be a star.

Watching Butters and Rozee quite literally run past the flat footed Setterfield and Parish reminded me that we need to get every single game into this bloke as we can. Our midfield is so one paced and one dimensional without some sort of line breaking / pacey mid.
What you say re needing this is right but I challenge you to find me one clip of Tsatas breaking a line at any level. I’ve never seen it.

So far he looks more Parish than Rozee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back