Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2022 - Tsatas, Hayes, Davey x2, Munkara & Montgomerie

Who should we take with Pick 4? (Pick 2)

• Tsatas

Votes: 60 27.9%
  • Humphrey

Votes: 33 15.3%
  • Phillipou

Votes: 109 50.7%
  • Clark

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 17 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick links: Player Contract Status | Trade & Free Agency 2022 | JHA Father/Son and NGA | Adrian Dodoro

0093895D-8D9D-4EFD-93DB-32FA70C2A596.jpeg

Last edited:
My wishlist is finalized:

1. Humphrey
2. Sheezel
3. Cadman
4. Wardlaw
5. Hollands
6. MacKenzie
7. Hustwaite
8. Phillipou
9. George

While these guys are still on the board I'd been keen to trade up past a Davey bid.

I think Bailey is the man for us. Great in the contest/plays with physicality, amazing trajectory, carries 86kgs effortlessly, won't need a lot of development, a genuine mid/forward blend.
No Tsatas?

No Tsatas?

No. He'll be a good player but everyone we bring in needs to have a physical edge or a defensively sound game, at least for the next 2 years of drafting and he's just underwhelming in the contest. Really nice mark/kick/spread player but not at his price.

A lot to play out with trade week in terms of picks changing hands, but looking at the current order, the outside-chance dream would look something like this (I've picked "maybe" teams for some of these trades, but can substitute in a few different destinations for these trades and you can eventually arrive at roughly the same kind of pick swap values).

Trade 1: Francis + 40 out to Brisbane; Pick 33 in
Trade 2: Ham + F3 out to St. Kilda; F2 in
Trade 3: 2 x F2 out to GCS; Bowes + 7 in

Delist: Waterman
Re-sign: Eyre; Brand

Presuming that we upgrade Martin/Durham to the main list at the end of the draft, that would leave us (I think) with 32 main list players, and 5 x Cat A rookies, so 5 spots to fill.

Pick 4: Cadman/Sheezel/Wardlaw
Pick 7: Humphrey/Phillipou
Pick 22: Grab a midfield slider like Ginbey, Hollands or Syzbowski (or used in Davey bid if that comes in the teens)
Pick 33: Used for Davey bid, or if Davey bid before 22, we use this on a midfield slider if someone we value still there (or use to trade back in a F2 if not).
Later picks (Durham/Martin upgrade).

Rookie draft: Jayden Davey (and if Munkara hasn't been swooped on, maybe throw a Cat B position his way).

Could end up being an off-season that looks like this (at the highest):

Essendon Out: Francis; Ham; Waterman; Cutler; McDonagh; Hird; Hurley (ret); AMT (ret); Smith (ret)
Main List upgrades: Martin; Durham.
Essendon In: Bowes; Sheezel; Humphrey; Ginbey; A. Davey; J.Davey; A.Munkara

That'd almost be enough to let Jackets keep his job.

My wishlist is finalized:

1. Humphrey
2. Sheezel
3. Cadman
4. Wardlaw
5. Hollands
6. MacKenzie
7. Hustwaite
8. Phillipou
9. George

While these guys are still on the board I'd been keen to trade up past a Davey bid.

I think Bailey is the man for us. Great in the contest/plays with physicality, amazing trajectory, carries 86kgs effortlessly, won't need a lot of development, a genuine mid/forward blend.
I could go with that.

No. He'll be a good player but everyone we bring in needs to have a physical edge or a defensively sound game, at least for the next 2 years of drafting and he's just underwhelming in the contest. Really nice mark/kick/spread player but not at his price.
And also no real defensive game. He is a bit of a ball watcher when it transitions out of his area. I still rate him but you are right I think. He is not an exact fit for us. If we had three picks like we had in 2020 you would take him as his spread and outside game is really good and you could afford to take another hard edge guy like Humphry.
He will be a really good player in a good side but I suspect he may look like a Jayden Stephenson in a bad side. Like I said I rate him. If we picked him I am not going to be totally unhappy but I think you have nailed why he is probably not our guy.

The interesting comparison to Watson this far out is Caleb Daniel. You’re really looking at a footballer that only has one flaw for his position, and that’s height.

Daniel has made the doubters look silly in retrospect but that was at pick 40 odd, not pick 4.
Yep, Caleb was literally elite if not the best at just about everything he did. Thats what was required to even be a late pick at that time with that size

Was running 16 beep test, was dominant in the carnival, high 20 disp and multiple goals, considered the best kick, was toigh as nails, All Aus, playing really good senior footy. I cant remember exactly but he may have even tested extremely well in other areas like leap, 20m, agility ect aswell. I remember at the time thinking how does he get drafted and looking at his overall results being better than anyone else id seen before

The thing that can help Watson is that small forwards are a vogue thing

Still think you can get guys to do the role from little draft capital loss. McCreery, Ginnivan, R.Clarke*, Papley, Close, Miers, Stengle, Butler, Castagna, Lambert, Spargo, ANB, Fantasia, Tippa, W.Rioli, L.Ryan, Frederick, Schulz, Switta, Walters ect ect

I also dont see the 'athleticsm' as much as others. Its certainly not kozzie like levels and he has something else

Really like Red Black and Blue trade of

4, 22, F2 to suns for 5,7, Bowes

With GWS at 3 and GC suns at 4, all would need is one of those top 5 victorian kids to turn their nose up about leaving home and family.

They may even be happy to take Hollands at pick 5 to pair with his brother. I dont think its a huge reach after Thursdays game

Surely cats dont have room of 1.6mill over the next 2 years for him with Henry and Bruhn aswell. Or even if its just 2.

Play the long game with Elijah Hollands.

4 point plan.

1. Draft his brother Oliver.
2. Elijah requests trade to Essendon in 2024.
3. Trade for two late 1st rounders.
4. Win premierships.

6621bb56-9790-496c-b7d8-bf4a49f97236_text.gif

Well you haver given yourself away now.
Clarke does have plenty of inside grunt. He is only just smaller than Wardlaw and his game is all about work rate. He will be the one that will block for Hobbs and do his bit when needed.
He is not my number 1 choice but he is not the player you are describing.
Given myself away? What are you talking about??

Where have I suggested Clark doesn't have grunt? Wardlaw powers through contests, you can't compare Clark to him. I think Clark is a solid all-round workhorse through the midfield that lacks an elite trait to push him into the top echelon of players. His proclivity to hit the scoreboard later in the season was promising and pushed him into my top 10, however I wouldn't be selecting him unless we really clean out our midfield and get additional picks in that range.

Given myself away? What are you talking about??

Where have I suggested Clark doesn't have grunt? Wardlaw powers through contests, you can't compare Clark to him. I think Clark is a solid all-round workhorse through the midfield that lacks an elite trait to push him into the top echelon of players. His proclivity to hit the scoreboard later in the season was promising and pushed him into my top 10, however I wouldn't be selecting him unless we really clean out our midfield and get additional picks in that range.
Your words

Spending top 10’s on small mids that aren’t exceptionally powerful is something we don’t have the luxury of doing no matter how good their other attributes are.

I was simply saying Clarke has power inside and is only just smaller than Wardlaw. No comparison to Wardlaw.

If you do not rate leadership as a serious trait then so be it. I doubt we pick him but he is what we need. Would I pick in him front of Wardlaw ? probably not but it is a close call. One reason we are an average side is we have only a handful of players with Clarkes traits. You undersell him. He is an upgrade on Parish.
Go back and watch how many times he took the best opposition player at a center bounce and how few times they beat him.
Plays like Sellwood and leads like him. Has massive hard edge. And has good skills on both sides.

Last edited:
The issue I have with Hollands is when I look at him I see Darcy Parish body wise which is why I did not end up with Parish as preferred in that draft.
No doubt he has the ability and runs both ways.

The issue I have with Hollands is when I look at him I see Darcy Parish body wise which is why I did not end up with Parish as preferred in that draft.
Yeah i see that.
Very similar though i wonder if also compliments parishs game.

Cadman surely firming as a #1 option. Looks an incredibly solid kpf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah i see that.
Very similar though i wonder if also compliments parishs game.

Cadman surely firming as a #1 option. Looks an incredibly solid kpf.
I see Holland as Parish with a much better work rate both ways and a bit better kick. Good clearance player but not the power guy. He would work well with Hobbs who is more in and under.

Last edited:
Your words

Spending top 10’s on small mids that aren’t exceptionally powerful is something we don’t have the luxury of doing no matter how good their other attributes are.

I was simply saying Clarke has power inside and is only just smaller than Wardlaw. No comparison to Wardlaw.

If you do not rate leadership as a serious trait then so be it. I doubt we pick him but he is what we need. Would I pick in him front of Wardlaw ? probably not but it is a close call. One reason we are an average side is we have only a handful of players with Clarkes traits. You undersell him. He is an upgrade on Parish.
Go back and watch how many times he took the best opposition player at a center bounce and how few times they beat him.
Clark wears contact whilst Wardlaw breaks it. Very distinct difference there. Forget 'just smaller', look at them in person instead of their listed dimensions and you'll see Wardlaw is far thicker in his legs that Clark.

Because I say Clark lacks an elite trait you assume I don't rate leadership? I see Clark as similar to Caldwell as previously stated. He's tough, will wear contact and willing to sacrifice parts of his game for the betterment of the team. You want blocks and leadership? Trade in Graham, Robertson or O'Halloran for pick 30+.

Clark wears contact whilst Wardlaw breaks it. Very distinct difference there. Forget 'just smaller', look at them in person instead of their listed dimensions and you'll see Wardlaw is far thicker in his legs that Clark.

Because I say Clark lacks an elite trait you assume I don't rate leadership? I see Clark as similar to Caldwell as previously stated. He's tough, will wear contact and willing to sacrifice parts of his game for the betterment of the team. You want blocks and leadership? Trade in Graham, Robertson or O'Halloran for pick 30+.
I have looked and not just on TV. Have seen both play live as well. Do not throw out bull s**t lines like that. How many Falcons games have you seen live ?
Clarke already has more definition in the quads than Caldwell.

Anyway where did this become a Wardlaw v Clarke comparison ? I did not compare them nor did I say he was not more powerful. I have also said I would pick him first. My only comment was Clarke was not much smaller than Wardlaw.

All I said was you said Clarke was not powerful. I did not agree.
You also said he lacked traits that make him an early pick. He has plenty going for him.
Clarke has more than blocks and leadership. Skills on both sides. Inside and outside game. Does the team stuff and wins his own footy. You do not get rated in the top 10 over the whole year if you have limited traits.

Last edited:
So we trade Hobbs then ?
It is not no more small midfielders. It is no more small skinny midfielders.

These are our inside midfielders.

Parish 181cm
Caldwell 184cm
Shiel 180cm
Merrett 180cm
Hobbs 183cm

I’m leaning towards him not being the guy for us….but I really liked what I saw.

The danger in passing him up is that he’s more Steele Sidebottom than Darcy Parish. He has a great engine. Not the user Sidebottom is but a long way ahead of Parish.

I thought he looked like the best mid out there in the final game.

The clear pick for me, if he’s available, is Wardlaw. A no brainer.

It’s tough after that..love Sheezel’s X factor, see him as mercurial Stevie J mid size forward. Lord knows we could use that touch of class and brilliance inside 50.

But geez Cadman looks good…..height, reach, good hands, good wheels, a long leg and seemingly abundant competitiveness and confidence. Are we passing up the next Jez Cameron?

Hopefully one of these three are available when we pick.

The clear pick for me, if he’s available, is Wardlaw. A no brainer.

It’s tough after that..love Sheezel’s X factor, see him as mercurial Stevie J mid size forward. Lord knows we could use that touch of class and brilliance inside 50.

But geez Cadman looks good…..height, reach, good hands, good wheels, a long leg and seemingly abundant competitiveness and confidence. Are we passing up the next Jez Cameron?

Hopefully one of these three are available when we pick.
Im gonna be surprised if he lasts to us tbh.

What’s the general consensus around this years draft ? Heard it’s weak outside the top 5-6

Hopefully Cadman lands in our hands, would look great in the number 10 next year and the years to come.

Also would like to see Mattes Phillipou at Essendon, as a younger draftee he has comparisons with the Bont. Would look great in number 5 🤞🔴⚫

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back