Portfolio AFL Heritage Round - By Zooper Dooper

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane takes on the Bulldogs in the first match of Eighties Round. When I did this I didn't think much of the matchup, but with the return of the first Bears jumper up against the 80s Footscray jumper, I had an opportunity on my hands. Nowadays security is a lot better, but if any dogs player gets a short after the siren in this match, should Brisbane fans be allowed to enter the ground? They could in 1988, just ask Simon Beasly.

Brisbane V Footscray.png

You do realise the colours red and yellow mix to make orange? This game would go down as one of the worst clashes in history.
If we can put a man on the moon, for one week, we'll be able to differentiate two different teams.

I apologise for the lack of posts recently, but I assure the jumpers will be coming soon. I've been working on a few nineties jumpers as well. Again, I apologise for no posts on here in the last few days, but as I mentioned, I really want to get this portfolio completed!

Sorry for the wait, and these jumpers were not worth the wait, but either way the show must go on. This game pretty much sells itself. The rivalry was born in the Eighties, and it hasn't died down since. That's a matter of opinion and a matter for another day. But enough rambling here's Hawthorn V Essendon.
View attachment 724080

You've got Footscray in the graphic

You've waited long enough, and now since we're in a new decade this portfolio may become a little more relevant. Since International Cricket in Australia is done until March, now is the time I can roll out a lot of my designs. This portfolio has been revived, for now anyway. Here's in my opinion the most '80s' rivalry in the AFL, Hawthorn V Essendon. Multiple Grand Finals, multiple melees, and a broken point post all make this rivalry one of a kind. So here's Hawthorn V Essendon!
Hawthorn V Essendon.png

Here it is, I don't know in fact, I highly doubt this was awaited but it is one of my favourite ever jumpers, that being West Coast's original predominantly gold wings jumper, those colours along with the glorious font below the Eagle. When the Eagles sported those jumpers they never wore white shorts. When they played away to the Bulldogs, West Coast wore gold shorts. When they played the Roos in 1987 in Melbourne, North wore white shorts. But there's no fun in that so the Eagles sport gold shorts and retro SGIO logos. You're probably saying "But SGIO don't sponsor them anymore". I've grown up too accustomed to seeing it so it's there. And there's also a quite nice North Melbourne jumper which should be featuring QANTAS on the front. They didn't feature a collar then but for the hell of it it's there too! Anyway, this is North Melbourne V West Coast.
North Melbourne V West Coast.png

Next game is one of my favourite matchups, jumper wise. In the 1980 Grand Final, Kevin Bartlett and the tigers eclipsed the pies and ran rings around their defence. The old predominantly white Collingwood jumpers clashing with the golden sashes of the Tigers always looked great in my eyes. I tried to replicate it here, nothing too special here, but deep down, less is more.
Collingwood V Richmond.png

Carlton-PS1.gif
This is the only one i've found that is different than the others. 99' Pre-Season

I've always been a fan of seeing teams with mostly light jumpers wearing mostly dark coloured shorts or darker shorts. I decided to pit the swans, in their straighter vee jumpers, the ones that I feel are more synonymous with the Swans in their early years in the Harbour City. For the Saints their old jumpers the classic big logo are great. It's just a simple matchup with classic jumpers synonymous with the 80s!
Sydney V St Kilda.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last game of Eighties Round is the Duel Of The Port Cities. Fremantle takes on Port Adelaide. The dockers in South Fremantle inspired jumpers against Port Adelaide in their traditional Prison Bar. In the AFL, Port are the Power, not the Magpies, so the Magpies logo is nowhere to be seen on the jumper, replaced by the PA monogram. And that's a wrap for Eighties Round. Fremantle V Port Adelaide.png

First cab off the rank for 90s Round is a duel of Preseason Jumpers and a rivalry that emerged during the decade and possibly defined the changes that this decade brought. Those being the idea to, merge and expand, both Melbourne and Hawthorn got caught up in this debacle. The last game of the 1996 season is one of my all-time favourite games, even though, Melbourne didn't win. To the jumpers, these two being some of my favourite jumpers ever. So here it is, Melbourne V Hawthorn.
Melbourne V Hawthorn.png

For the next game of Nineties Round, we go back to the first Showdown. Port Adelaide donning possibly their best jumper, and the crows running out, complete with a collar, thicker hoops, and the retro Camry sponsorship. It really screams "Camry Crows" in my eyes. The First Showdown memorable for many, and those memories are relived here.
Adelaide V Port Adelaide.png

It's not quite Pluggers 1300th goal, however, that's all I could think about when I planned this matchup. Sydney takes to the SCG in their original opera house jumpers, complete with the side panels! The Pies go out in one of my favourite Collingwood jumpers. The old-style number panel accompanied by the magpie logo in the middle of the four white stripes is something we rarely see now. I would love to see it as a training jumper or even a Preseason one, and mainly why we see it in Nineties Round!
Sydney V Collingwood.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back