Rules AFL looking to ban jumper punches

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, it should. Its not part of play, and its not "tough". Standing under a rainmaker knowing what's coming your way is tough. Hitting the contest hard is tough.
Dishing out cheap shots of any sort, however little force is used, is quite the opposite.

You know what concerns me the most? I was out jogging this morning and ran past an underage footy match, so I thought I'd take a look for awhile. Judging from their ages it was possibly U12s or U13s, no older. One lad kicked a really nice goal, so I decided to stay longer. What did I see? At the centre bounce there were players pushing and shoving. A lad missed a shot at goal and copped a mouthful from opposition players. And then, there it was .... it had to happen ...... a jumper punch. I don't know what rules they play under, but the umpire immediately paid a free kick. I thought to myself, what a shame these kids don't know any better. They've picked up all these traits by emulating what they see on TV. A bunch of 11 or 12 year olds, not enjoying the game, but behaving like bad tempered, ill-mannered little brats. It's time it changed.

You know what concerns me the most? I was out jogging this morning and ran past an underage footy match, so I thought I'd take a look for awhile. Judging from their ages it was possibly U12s or U13s, no older. One lad kicked a really nice goal, so I decided to stay longer. What did I see? At the centre bounce there were players pushing and shoving. A lad missed a shot at goal and copped a mouthful from opposition players. And then, there it was .... it had to happen ...... a jumper punch. I don't know what rules they play under, but the umpire immediately paid a free kick. I thought to myself, what a shame these kids don't know any better. They've picked up all these traits by emulating what they see on TV. A bunch of 11 or 12 year olds, not enjoying the game, but behaving like bad tempered, ill-mannered little brats. It's time it changed.

Sounds like the AFL needs to dedicate a week to Junior Footy as their next SJW cause. Get all the players to play fair.

Boo ******* hoo. It's been happening in footy ever since it started playing it's only because the media is replaying it every 16 seconds on every newnews program that it's getting the air time.

The actual product itself is because of the kids on Sunday.

So you want a game with faux tough guys throwing cheap shots?

No the product is because of the fans that watch on TV and at the stadium. No point having kids play it as kids like basketball if they don't go on as adults.

I want an entertainment product. I want there to be an edge to the game. I liked footy 15 years ago. Every year now they take more and more away from the product and all they have added is tactics and zones.
No one in the history of the AFL has been hurt from a jumper punch yet the mothers club wins again.

I've never liked the cheap shot stuff. I've played in some bloody rough leagues and dished my own as required, but in my mind I always though cheap shots were totally unnecessary. A quick hit to solar plexus is as cheap as they come and anyone not grasping how that can drop even hardened guys has never really copped or given one. It's not tough, it's piss weak.
I'm as old school as hell in most things AFL but I've never agreed with the extra "bullshit" physical stuff. In my mind I always equated it with lesser players and if you really think about the type of guys who revert to things like it regularly, they are almost always lesser players. To me, the guys using it just confirm their lack of ability to actually play the game, cause they're not good enough to play by the rules and win, they have to find a way to effectively cheat.
That's what it is, cheating. It's not in the rules and nothing to do with the true game. You show real toughness by putting your body on the line when it counts. Frankly I think it should all be nipped in the bud and the lesser players unable to compete without it can F**k off down to the lower grades where they belong.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back