AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

SMH S. Keoghan 20.5.21

Keoghan said "netball has dropped from 4.5% participation- & a spot in Australia's top 10 sports- to just 2.8%".

M. Go, Chair of Netball Australia, says netball has been losing out to soccer & "AFLW" (sic); & that both these sports, & athletics (?) are growing.
Go also said

"We don't want to lose that talent to other sports because some of the skills are transferrable, particularly a a young age".
(Because both AF & netball require constant use of one's hands, it could be inferred that Go sees AF as a bigger threat than soccer, to netballs' GR nos.).

Female GR AF is booming in Qld.- & it appears that in Qld. (& other States) it is getting many/most of its players from netball.

I think you would find that across the country atm. AFLW is an increasingly high profile female sport with far more exposure than most of the other traditionally international sports girls have traditionally been offered. Now AFLW is another viable option for young girls to play and one that has a clear pathway and that is well resourced. While I don't want sports such as Netball hurt with lower participation levels, it is up to them to adapt to survive. I think choice is always a good thing.

There was a time when girls who wanted to play a team sport virtually had Netball as the only option.
That has gradually broken down, and will continue to break down with all the options now available.
The beauty of the growth of womens footy is that it not only appeals to girls/women who have always followed the game, it brings in stacks of women who have never followed the game. This is why we the investment in womens footy will pay off in spades, it's actually growing the game.
To add to that, when a family member gets involved in aussie rules, the family generally starts following the game.
This is in stark contrast to a game like soccer, where pretty much every family in Australia is involved in the game to some extent, but the majority don't give a rats about the game more broadly once the family member completes their game.

abc Offsiders program 16.5.21

R. Masters does not believe incidental, accidental contact to the head should be punished with a sin bin, or other penalties.

Masters said "Incidental & accidental contact to the head is unavoidable in Rugby League". Soft "flyswats" to the head should not be a penalty, but referees have been ordered to sin bin those, even if it is a "flyswat" to the head. (2 minutes 16 seconds- 3 mins 18 secs.)

Masters also said AF has increased its popularity, & has moved the Barassi Line rapidly in the Riverina, & above it. 11 mins.1 sec. - 11 mins 40 secs.

R. Stewart said "RL is a unique game, it's not for everyone. It's a rough brutal contact sport" 8 mins 20 secs- 8 mins 44 secs.

But W. Bennet said that the AFL has banned contact above the shoulder, the NRL must also do this. If not, "we will drive parents & kids away from the game"...& the NRL will be facing legal claims in 10 years. 8 mins 45 secs. - 9 mins. 20 secs.

(Scroll to 16.5.21)

NRL officials & fans seem divided how tough the game should be on accidental & incidental knocks to the head.
This is an existential issue for all contact etc. sports, re health of players- & parents' concerns must also be fully taken into account, & respected, if a sport will continue to thrive in the future.

Last edited:

Good crowd at the Gabba today. With the Lions AFLW team winning the AFLW Premiership and the men’s team as one of the premiership favourites, footy has overtaken rugby league in QLD.
AFL will never overtake Rugby League here. Being second place here is more than enough.
Outside of Brisbane and GC they still barely know what AFL is
Not true. AFL is popular in northern Queensland. particularly cairns.

You've obviously never been to Cairns or the Sunshine Coast. Both cities have good Aussie rules followings and are producing top level players these days like Charlie Dixon (Cairns), Eric Hipwood (Sunshine Coast) and Jack Bowes (Cairns).

Barely known......? Strangest and most ill-informed comment I have read here I think. If you move only in Rugby leagues circles then I can understand the comment, but you are here on BigFooty......... There are still more people not interested in football (of any sort) than are interested in football, but the following in this state for AFL is closely rivaling the other codes. It has gone well passed 'barely known' a couple of decades ago.

Barely known......? Strangest and most ill-informed comment I have read here I think. If you move only in Rugby leagues circles then I can understand the comment, but you are here on BigFooty......... There are still more people not interested in football (of any sort) than are interested in football, but the following in this state for AFL is closely rivaling the other codes. It has gone well passed 'barely known' a couple of decades ago.
Go out into a place like Ipswich, an hour from Brisbane, where I have worked for 10 years, people know what it is but the % of people who actually follow it is low, when the Lions are going well people will casually follow it and pay attention to results, but there is no doubt it is RL country.

Go out into a place like Ipswich, an hour from Brisbane, where I have worked for 10 years, people know what it is but the % of people who actually follow it is low, when the Lions are going well people will casually follow it and pay attention to results, but there is no doubt it is RL country.

I don't dispute that Rugby League and Union to a lesser extent is still the dominant form of footy especially Ipswich way - I know Ipswich well, which is why I think it lends itself better to being the next Qld NRL Club (however money both talks and blinds and we will probably see it from Redcliffe), but my comments were in response to that throw away line you used "barely known". I've lived and worked around Central Qld in the 80's and I would have agreed with that comment back then. Have traveled and studied the demographics of all of Australia and that comment simply doesn't apply anymore..

I've lived within an NRL family (father-in-law played at the highest level). Even he would sit down some Saturdays and watch the AFL match of the day (and I'm still talking the 90's). So while many NRL lovers may not openly covert the AFL, they know enough about it to never ever say it is "barely known".

I don't dispute that Rugby League and Union to a lesser extent is still the dominant form of footy especially Ipswich way - I know Ipswich well, which is why I think it lends itself better to being the next Qld NRL Club (however money both talks and blinds and we will probably see it from Redcliffe), but my comments were in response to that throw away line you used "barely known". I've lived and worked around Central Qld in the 80's and I would have agreed with that comment back then. Have traveled and studied the demographics of all of Australia and that comment simply doesn't apply anymore..

I've lived within an NRL family (father-in-law played at the highest level). Even he would sit down some Saturdays and watch the AFL match of the day (and I'm still talking the 90's). So while many NRL lovers may not openly covert the AFL, they know enough about it to never ever say it is "barely known".
Fair enough mate it was a bit of an exaggeration

Fair enough mate it was a bit of an exaggeration

Yeah, I get it was said for effect more than anything else, which rarely happens on a forum like this ;) All good!

The NRL, P. V'landys, & some MSM RL experts are concerned about RL's "poor image" problem- which is caused by a small minority of RL players etc., on & off the field.
Some (eg NQ Cowboys & A. Johns) believe that some NRL players should have minders when they are in night clubs etc., to ensure no trouble occurs.
(I accept that 95%+ of NRL players are law abiding citizens, who are well behaved, & never bring RL into dispute).

(Point#5 only- NQ Cowboys appointing minders for RL players- is relevant to this post)

(Point #2 only is relevant to this post. List of NRL "66 well publicised of-field scandals")

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lions V Richmond match came within 10k ratings on tv in Brisbane of the telecast NRL match last night, despite the AFL being on the secondary 7mate channel and the NRL being on 9's main channel.

Why don't the pricks at 7 put it on the main channel. I thought they were a few years ago into nsw and qld for swans and lions games.

Just got back from a trip up the Sunshine Coast to far north coast of QLD. First time really being up that way. Was interesting seeing how popular Aussie rules was in Cairns and particularly port douglas, almost seemed more popular than Rugby. Any one explain this? As there a was a bit of interest in the Sunshine Coast but once you get above Bundaberg its seems to drop too little interest until as said before it hits cairns and its interest explodes. Very interesting

Just got back from a trip up the Sunshine Coast to far north coast of QLD. First time really being up that way. Was interesting seeing how popular Aussie rules was in Cairns and particularly port douglas, almost seemed more popular than Rugby. Any one explain this? As there a was a bit of interest in the Sunshine Coast but once you get above Bundaberg its seems to drop too little interest until as said before it hits cairns and its interest explodes. Very interesting

"Expats" would always be part of the answer whether recent or historic. I would say they are typically critical to establish clubs and leagues given the numbers required in the AFL. I think Mackay and Townsville have a bit of activity and have produced players recently by Central Queensland is very weak from all reports

Brisbane's recent form will be helping significantly. I know for a fact that 5 of the guys at my work watched the Lions Richmond game and loved it. They wouldn't normally bother. I know its only 5 people. But the fact these 5 people were even talking AFL is a positive. I tried watching some of the broncs game yesterday afternoon but the amount of stoppages was ridiculous. Wont bother watching another game or RL.

Real culture clash at moment as v’landys tries to change the nature of the game. Without change parents will keep their kids from playing.

the old school types are fighting it to their own long term detriment.

Ex-pat Victorians got into Cairns decades ago and set up the local comp and bought/established Cazaly stadium, which is pretty much in the centre of town. The comp has since thrived and attracted a few ex AFL players over the years. The local rugby boyos still try and dunk on AFL, but when I lived up there ten years ago, AFL more than held its own, especially on the northern beaches where most burbs have a club and social rooms.
There was a brutal Grand Final up there 15 or so years ago that had to be called off.

Real culture clash at moment as v’landys tries to change the nature of the game. Without change parents will keep their kids from playing.

the old school types are fighting it to their own long term detriment.

I’m not sold on this. How many parents will turn their nose up at a game that is so different from the one they played?

I got my son into league 3 years ago and he loves it but while i obviously care about his safety I actually loved the character that league teaches you (on the field) in dealing with the reality that you WILL get hurt. Accidents happen, you will get belted, be sore, get hit High etc and in many cases there may be not a thing Anyone could have done to prevent it.

im all for punishing thuggery but you cannot police accidents and punish circumstantial situations and league is digging itself a dangerous hole at the moment

Ex-pat Victorians got into Cairns decades ago and set up the local comp and bought/established Cazaly stadium, which is pretty much in the centre of town. The comp has since thrived and attracted a few ex AFL players over the years. The local rugby boyos still try and dunk on AFL, but when I lived up there ten years ago, AFL more than held its own, especially on the northern beaches where most burbs have a club and social rooms.
There was a brutal Grand Final up there 15 or so years ago that had to be called off.
"Expats" would always be part of the answer whether recent or historic. I would say they are typically critical to establish clubs and leagues given the numbers required in the AFL. I think Mackay and Townsville have a bit of activity and have produced players recently by Central Queensland is very weak from all reports
In Cairns, it goes even further back than the movement of southern expats of the last few decades. A lot of praise should go to former Collingwood footballer Bruce Andrew, who was the director of the independent Australian National Football Council in 1957 when he purchased the land that would become Cazalys Stadium for the ANFC in one of many attempts to grow the game around Australia. They established their senior and junior competitions the following year and have never looked back. It's a very well run set up in Cairns and the Cazalys club is very profitable which has allowed them to keep pace with rugby league in the region. It would be close to a 50/50 situation in Cairns in terms of popularity of Australian rules vs rugby league. Southern expats help too but there are plenty of locals who are interested without southern roots. Even former AFL footballers like Nathan Bock and Jake Long have played up in the Cairns AFL competition in recent years.

These days Cairns is being properly serviced through the Suns academy and we've seen fruit of that labour with the likes of Charlie Dixon and Jack Bowes making their way into the league.

particularly port douglas, almost seemed more popular than Rugby. Any one explain this?
Port Douglas really became a popular destination for tourists in the 1980s and a lot of that had to do with Brisbane Bears owner Christopher Skase building the Sheraton Mirage resort up there. So it's not surprising that Aussie rules took off in the city. It's a small town but Victorian expats (mostly) have continued the footballing interest over the decades and the local Port Douglas Crocs team often wins the Cairns AFL senior premiership each year. It's not too difficult to convince Victorians to relocate to Port Douglas for the winter months and that's allowed the Crocs to have a constantly flow of higher level footballers coming through their doors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back