Rumour AFL Players Faking Mental Illnesses To Avoid Drug Tests?

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't feel like the best version of yourself using?
Lol. Has to be the worst ******* argument ever. There is nothing out there about it enhancing performance.

To remain high and supposedly as the best version of yourself as you say you’d have to be doing lines all game. Combine that with the high intensity of an AFL game and you’ve got a recipe for health disaster.

The idea that AFL players are using shitty drugs with god knows what in them and have not been proven to enhance their performance prior or during a game is so ******* laughable.

Lol. Has to be the worst ******* argument ever. There is nothing out there about it enhancing performance.

To remain high and supposedly as the best version of yourself as you say you’d have to be doing lines all game. Combine that with the high intensity of an AFL game and you’ve got a recipe for health disaster.

The idea that AFL players are using shitty drugs with god knows what in them and have not been proven to enhance their performance prior or during a game is so ******* laughable.
There's only been a few AFL players smash a line of cocaine before a game, one is waiting for sentencing..

It's not about game day acute improvement. It's about lifting your motivation to train harder outside of competition.

Like any of them are being drug tested. They’re hypocrites the lot of them.

It’s like all the tools on TV that get on their high horse. They should do drug tests and sniffer dogs at the Logies and report back the results.

I'd be up for that. Getting tired of dealing with drug ****ed morons at work.

What a bizarre argument.

I'll make it really simple.

Ben Cousins can get himself up and run his guts out on a cloud of ice then not touch it prior to the game and test clean, but he has the fitness gains from it.

One go at it will be gone except from his hair in a few days.

The psychology of sport is as much about trusting your body as it is knowing what limits you can break through, drugs massively help that because they lift your chance of going in hard at the contest, now you have acquired positive pattern recognition and that behaviour is more likely to be repeated in game. You run harder because your physical signals are not relaying as normal, you can reach new Max efforts, you carry the physical and psychological benefits of that new ceiling.

If I had to get a team to compete hard, work hard and it didn't matter what happened to them after I'd have them on testosterone and ice and they would win.

Like any of them are being drug tested. They’re hypocrites the lot of them.

It’s like all the tools on TV that get on their high horse. They should do drug tests and sniffer dogs at the Logies and report back the results.
Is your argument that the only people who can comment on this are those willing to be drug tested?

It's that the drugs can be performance enhancing

AND

It's dangerous, especially when it's taking the place of alcohol

AND

It has mental health impacts

AND

It puts them in contact with people who the AFL (gambling sponsors) worry will compromise the integrity of the games because they think a bikie gang can convince an AFL team's forward line to miss every shot and drop every mark for a quarter, or even a match.

But I maintain, the AFL doesn't actually care. Just don't get caught and you're fine to do anything.
As long as the money keeps rolling in that's all the AFL cares about.
The reason they brought in the 3 strike rule in the the first place was to cover up the games drug problems, and not player welfare. For the AFL money is the be all and end all and player welfare is light years away in comparison.

I'll make it really simple.

Ben Cousins can get himself up and run his guts out on a cloud of ice then not touch it prior to the game and test clean, but he has the fitness gains from it.

One go at it will be gone except from his hair in a few days.

The psychology of sport is as much about trusting your body as it is knowing what limits you can break through, drugs massively help that because they lift your chance of going in hard at the contest, now you have acquired positive pattern recognition and that behaviour is more likely to be repeated in game. You run harder because your physical signals are not relaying as normal, you can reach new Max efforts, you carry the physical and psychological benefits of that new ceiling.

If I had to get a team to compete hard, work hard and it didn't matter what happened to them after I'd have them on testosterone and ice and they would win.
Lol.

Have you got any evidence for this nonsense?

Is your argument that the only people who can comment on this are those willing to be drug tested?
I couldn’t care less about what AFL players or media figures do.

I just hate the hypocrisy of media figures, particularly when it comes to sport. Wish some of them would actually come out and say footy players do silly things just like some other Aussies. And then say there would be some within their industry that also behave that way.

They don’t. Instead they pretend they’re perfect and are happy instead to pile on footy players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I couldn’t care less about what AFL players or media figures do.

I just hate the hypocrisy of media figures, particularly when it comes to sport. Wish some of them would actually come out and say footy players do silly things just like some other Aussies. And then say there would be some within their industry that also behave that way.

They don’t. Instead they pretend they’re perfect and are happy instead to pile on footy players.
So that is your argument. Thanks

The amount of media coverage and crap they talk about it is ridiculous. Im sure most of the media then go out on weekends and snort as much as they can. Imagine Gerard Whately's big snoz and how much he could snort with that thing
Now now, the only thing Gerard snorts is his own bath water.

Now now, the only thing Gerard snorts is his own bath water.
I think you just invented the "snortel" ; Ideal for those who want to snort underwater aka Jack Watts.

That’s the conundrum. Cocaine and methamphetamine are stimulants and, therefore, performance enhancing if detected in-competition.

Why does ASADA need to know the results of a voluntary Illicit Drugs Policy - They can find out if a player fails a drug test.

Look, I sort of agree with you that is it not really anyone's business what the players do as long as they are not getting an advantage on game day (with the added caveat about overdoing the drugs and becoming addicted or harming others). BUT saying that, they are possibly exposing themselves to criminal elements that could bring other unforeseen consequences to them. Say in a worst case scenario, being blackmailed by above said bikie gangs and drug cartels, to put in poor performances.

What you say has some truth BUT it's nothing to do with ASADA - Their brief is to administer the WADA Code.

Why does ASADA need to know the results of a voluntary Illicit Drugs Policy - They can find out if a player fails a drug test.

That was my point. At present, they can't. But, under the new integrity legislation there would be nothing to stop them from finding out who had returned + cocaine/meth tests under the guise of integrity investigations and then subjecting the player to in-competition testing.

Interesting timing for that announcement from St Kilda earlier.
Yes, it does make you wonder if Nick coming out and making his comments yesterday was in response to hearing about an incident at a club he knows well leading to a player needing to have a break from the club to deal with a "mental illness" announced today. Alternatively, it was just a very interesting coincidental timing...

Yes, it does make you wonder if Nick coming out and making his comments yesterday was in response to hearing about an incident at a club he knows well leading to a player needing to have a break from the club to deal with a "mental illness" announced today. Alternatively, it was just a very interesting coincidental timing...

It also makes a mockery of those players who are genuinely struggling with mental health issues.

Every time a player takes time off they will be put under a cloud due to those abusing the system.

So he threw an ex-teammate under the bus ?.

He is certainly taking this "journalistic integrity" thing to extremes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back