AFL players to boycott Brownlow, post game interviews

Remove this Banner Ad

Checked the ratings lately? The media always win against boycotts. The AFL needs 7 more than 7 needs some inarticulate mumbling half tanked footy player at a boring media non event.
It would be a PR disaster for 7.

They might not lose much in ratings, but that show of solidarity among players would send a powerful message.

And 7 needs the AFL far more than vice versa. Otherwise the TV rights wouldn't have sold for $800m.

AFL once again refuses to acknowledge that there is a problem, and encourages people to shoot the messenger.

Channel 7 are useless, but the AFL are a joke.

The message wasn't due to be delivered till someone fulfilled the required criteria, If you think it's ok to bypass the process, just go steal and publish your own clubs sensitive medical documents.

It would be a PR disaster for 7.

They might not lose much in ratings, but that show of solidarity among players would send a powerful message.

And 7 needs the AFL far more than vice versa. Otherwise the TV rights wouldn't have sold for $800m.

7 will run the story as a cover up by drug users. The AFL cannot win this blue. The credibility of the code is going down the dunny. The "solidarity" of the players will last as long as the endorsement cheque. Most people in the community must be puzzled. Why do AFL footballers think they have a "right" to confidentiality in regards to illicit drug use? If you or I were picked up at a club in possession of an illicit drug our names would be published and plastered all over the media. The same goes for people in the entertainment industry. The news editor of channell 7 was recently convicted of drink driving. His name was published by his own network. Why are footballers demanding a privilege that doesn't exist for anyone else in the community?

Good to see. Hopefully this does happen, and that the players don't back down or have the AFL force them to give interviews.

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/players-cold-shoulder-seven/2007/08/27/1188067032638.html
Players give Seven the cold shoulder
Samantha Lane | August 28, 2007

COLLINGWOOD and Adelaide players will deliver a silent protest to Channel Seven in Friday night's match, refusing any interviews before or after the game in anger at the network's publication of drug allegations and players' personal medical details.

Players from other clubs are contemplating joining the Magpies and Crows players in refusing to answer questions from Seven representatives in press conferences or respond to requests for interviews before and after matches.

... Why are footballers demanding a privilege that doesn't exist for anyone else in the community?

you seem to be mixing up different concepts? if someone is convicted of a legal offence, hard to make an argument that publication is wrong. but doctor - patient confidentialty is a "privilege" that everyone in the community expects. that's what is at the heart of criticism of channel 7 in this case, not some half baked conspiracy theory.

7 will run the story as a cover up by drug users. The AFL cannot win this blue. The credibility of the code is going down the dunny. The "solidarity" of the players will last as long as the endorsement cheque. Most people in the community must be puzzled. Why do AFL footballers think they have a "right" to confidentiality in regards to illicit drug use? If you or I were picked up at a club in possession of an illicit drug our names would be published and plastered all over the media. The same goes for people in the entertainment industry. The news editor of channell 7 was recently convicted of drink driving. His name was published by his own network. Why are footballers demanding a privilege that doesn't exist for anyone else in the community?

Same reason that I would not expect my GP or Surgeon to lose 'my files' P47.

Come on - slowdown and get a grip mate. It will come to you. You know - the most important factor.....surely......

Watson sounds boring, and is constantly negative.

Ox is just an idiot who can barely string a sentence together.

Ricky looks and sounds nervous and it's so amatureish.

Bingo. I can't see why Ricky was hired. I thought at the start of the season he may settle into the job and start looking comfortable but he's so difficult to watch because he always looks nervous and unsure.

The players have made a statement....

AFL Players have made a statement and said they will not be interviewed on Channel 7 any more.

We, as the customer, can have a bloody big say in how they will slander players as well. Just remember, it could be your club next time.

Personally, I am giving up Seven until Bathurst, and you can't know how much that hurts unless you are a V8 Supercar fan and my team is in the finals as well.

I only ask for a yeah or nay vote as to whether 7 is fit to broadcast anything apart from infomercials.

Re: The players have made a statement....

AFL Players have made a statement and said they will not be interviewed on Channel 7 any more.

We, as the customer, can have a bloody big say in how they will slander players as well. Just remember, it could be your club next time.

Personally, I am giving up Seven until Bathurst, and you can't know how much that hurts unless you are a V8 Supercar fan and my team is in the finals as well.

I only ask for a yeah or nay vote as to whether 7 is fit to broadcast anything apart from infomercials.

Geez, I bet 7 are shittin emselves over this threat-not
I am bloody glad you are gonna jump in and have a bloody big say about how players are to be slandered, what are your suggestions?

I also am not watching 7, since around 6pm on Friday night. The missus isn't happy but bad luck.
They are a complete disgrace. Australian TV plummeted to an all-time low - way worse than even the British press produce, and some of it is woeful.
Good on the players.:thumbsu:

I too will refuse to watch Chanel 7 from now on.

Of course it is a little easier since I am living in Canada now ;)

But it is the thought that counts, right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Us too , we've erased channel 7 from our sets , aside from the outrage on friday night , it's a pain in the arse on the remote when you flick from Rage on the ABC................ to the nudie films on SBS.:)

LOL I couldn't read on, I was too busy laughing. :D

You've got to be kidding yourselves. Media are out for stories and don't care what the public think - it's all about getting in first.
The first year of AFL rights on 7 have been very ordinary but to say you are not going to watch because a journalist has outed someone is a complete joke and you guys should pull your head out and support your teams no matter what.

I do not believe that other channels would have made the decision that seven made. They crossed a line in terms of creating junky tabloid journalism.

I hope that the AFLPA take the action to boycott seven. Seven would have made the decision to go with the story after consulting with their lawyers and I would imagine the decision was made based on legal facts and not ethics. The fact that they ignored ethics has outraged the players. I for one believe in consequence for actions and hope that seven now faces their consequences by the players hurting their muti-million dollar brand.

the media provides the medium for all the dollars in footy.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.....

I can't believe people in this thread are saying these things with a serious face

If you believe, EVEN FOR A SECOND, that either 9 or 10 would not have done EXACTLY THE SAME thing if they were offered those documents then you are an absolute fool. Didn't 10 semi-break the story to begin with (they stole it off 7, but still).

Yeah probably, still doesn't make it right. Whats your point? If it had come from 9 or 10 we would be talking about boycotting them.

i think the bigger issue here is that once again the AFL has found a reason to attack someone for pointing out that there is a serious drug problem among AFL players. If there was a one strike policy rather than this stupid 3 strike policy then we would not have situations like this one happening.

This isn't about the drugs policy, nothing to do with it IMO. How do you know the players didn't seek drug counselling or treatment off their own bat? They may not have even been detected once under the leaugue's policy. This woman has simply seen the opportunity to make some cash by stealing confidential documents and selling them to a newspaper, how can you say a stronger drugs policy would have prevented something like that?

The Braun thing was pretty bad and now this? Its like 7 (and I guess other media) see it as completely acceptable, business as usual. Is this the way we want to go? Of course not, this kind of thing is not on and the media needs to understand that. 7 needs to be made an example of.

Completely support the players association, hit them where it hurts, definately boycott 7 this weekend and take whatever further action is necessary for them to get the point.

I don't get it.

How come there was no media and player outrage when the public was baying for blood and names when the West Coast story broke?

Why was Cousins pursued everywhere yet another high profile player can enjoy some protection?

Why has everyone gone all moral all of a sudden?

Is it the Vic bias and protecting mates?

Why would AFL players miss the brownlow? its in their best intersts to go because

1. unlimited grog
2. eye candy available
3. party!!!!

AFLPA are threatening to boycott any post game interviews with 7 and most importantly, to not attend the Brownlow.

Surely Dylan Howard must be sacked.
He's no Hutchy when it comes to breaking stories.
Wost career move ever.

Who gives a sh!t.....I couldn't care less if the players are interviewed or not. They all spin out the clubs line and cliche after bl00dy cliche....

When did the players get bigger than the game? No offence to any of them, but we all pay them a lot of money, either directly or indirectly.

No players name was released by Channel 7 even though they had the opportunity and there was no sign that that was their absolute intention.

Players aren't gonna talk at the Brownlow....boo hoo....I guess we'll only be able to see them pull apparent funny faces when the camera comes on their table....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back