Rules AFL to issue Pies ‘please explain’ after Jordan De Goey and Jeremy Howe mid-game phone usage caught on camera

Six minutes into the second quarter and Australia's leading rocket surgeon picks up his and Howe's phone from the phone storage box in direct contravention to the rules on mobile devices. This deserves weeks with the prevalence of exotics and betting markets in football. There is a reason the team manager is allowed to have a phone and make calls on behalf of injured team mates.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Just plain stupid. Probably nothing untoward but sick of hearing about players do dumb sh*t like this. I'm fully expecting a suspended financial penalty, but it's about time the AFL started getting serious about breaches like this and handing out meaningful sanctions. Get the players to pay a fine and have a suspended sentence of one week for the rest of their careers

MagpieJo

Premium Platinum
Nov 30, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Shoulda dropped their ducks! Probably just jetting their loved ones knowthey ain’t dead. , and meanwhile Kelly who left the ground and took De Goey out for the match gets nothing. Why are there cameras in the change rooms??

matthew_s

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Just plain stupid. Probably nothing untoward but sick of hearing about players do dumb sh*t like this. I'm fully expecting a suspended financial penalty, but it's about time the AFL started getting serious about breaches like this and handing out meaningful sanctions. Get the players to pay a fine and have a suspended sentence of one week for the rest of their careers

dumber that they could just waltz in to an open case. Why wasn’t it locked? There would have been thirty grand worth of phones just sitting there.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The rule exists for a reason, and they clearly broke it 🤷‍♂️
Investigate it, see that all they did was text their family that they're ok, then make them pay the Idiot Tax and fine them a couple of grand each and move on. Suspend it if you're feeling generous, whatever, because it's highly doubtful they did anything illicit with the phones.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Shoulda dropped their ducks! Probably just jetting their loved ones knowthey ain’t dead. , and meanwhile Kelly who left the ground and took De Goey out for the match gets nothing. Why are there cameras in the change rooms??
Yeah just ban cameras from the changerooms and problem solved... Is that you Ed?

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The rule exists for a reason, and they clearly broke it 🤷‍♂️
Investigate it, see that all they did was text their family that they're ok, then make them pay the Idiot Tax and fine them a couple of grand each and move on. Suspend it if you're feeling generous, whatever, because it's highly doubtful they did anything illicit with the phones.

Once subbed out what influence could they have on the game ?

The rule is good but if their game is over let them TikTok.

Or maybe call their parents and tell them they are ok.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Once subbed out what influence could they have on the game ?

The rule is good but if their game is over let them TikTok.

Or maybe call their parents and tell them they are ok.
They are/were still privy to in game information, and regardless Howe wasn't technically subbed out. The rule is for spot betting, they might have known for example of an upcoming mid-match positional change. They can wait another 90 minutes for the game to finish without breaking the rules, and if their parents need to know they're OK there are designated people to do that.

It's a clear rule breach, not a hanging offence but if the AFL want to show they are serious about this they should and will cop a sanction.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
They are/were still privy to in game information, and regardless Howe wasn't technically subbed out. The rule is for spot betting, they might have known for example of an upcoming mid-match positional change. They can wait another 90 minutes for the game to finish without breaking the rules, and if their parents need to know they're OK there are designated people to do that.

It's a clear rule breach, not a hanging offence but if the AFL want to show they are serious about this they should and will cop a sanction.

And yet the AFL still is taking sponsorship from betting companies. Don’t take the sponsorship and then set the gambling and phone rules.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Let's not forget that DeGoey actually went off the field with a broken nose and "concussion". Brain all befuddled. Let's cut the kid some slack.

I'm not sure what the point of this post is - the report was he didn't have a concussion, but if he did, do you actually think he would have faked it and been subbed off? 🤔

Curious as to why he got a quotation mark concussion.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nothing in it.

For the sake of the game have a look at what they did on their phones - doubtful they did anything bad.

Slap on wrist with 2k suspended fine or something.

Yes they are "privy to mid match changes" but really we all know that they did * all.

And yes as others said - AFL quite happy for Sportsbet half time in depth discussions about the odds (read: ads) but don't want any of the negatives. I love a bit of a punt but I don't drink and am quite frugal, put away some pocket money for fun - I'm still aware that gambling companies are awful and that the AFL are idiots.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
And yet the AFL still is taking sponsorship from betting companies. Don’t take the sponsorship and then set the gambling and phone rules.
Yeah that's not how it works. I fully appreciate the AFL's stance in supposedly attempting to address problem gambling within the industry whilst regularly promoting sports betting companies is conflicted. However that doesn't mean that it can't set rules to prevent illegal gambling, even if it occurs through the same companies they promote (ie by players passing on privileged information for spot fixing).

Sports betting companies are legal, match fixing/insider information is not.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest

The AFL policy is, “Do as I say, not what I do”. The AFL are hypocrites of the highest degree. Gambling, yep the AFL is sleeping in their bed.

As for Friday nights phone breach, a rule is a rule, but just check their record of calls. If it was to loved ones, just a warning and the phone is taken off them for a week. Parental rules are best.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Just check their phones and if they called Mum or Dad it’s ok... wtf?

Dad then calls Macca and tells him both Howe and De Goey are confirmed out the rest of the game. Macca then posts it to a few mates. One of those guys then passes it on to his private gambling chat group. Happens in minutes. Sure the gambling companies don’t want it, but it also rips off all the punters who don’t have that inside info.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Just check their phones and if they called Mum or Dad it’s ok... wtf?

Dad then calls Macca and tells him both Howe and De Goey are confirmed out the rest of the game. Macca then posts it to a few mates. One of those guys then passes it on to his private gambling chat group. Happens in minutes. Sure the gambling companies don’t want it, but it also rips off all the punters who don’t have that inside info.
Inside info? It was all over national TV. They were clearly out of the game well before they accessed their phones.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Inside info? It was all over national TV. They were clearly out of the game well before they accessed their phones.
"Hi Dad, yes I'm ok, just a sore nose and a bit of light concussion. Bucks said they'll stick Jordan Roughead on the ball for the rest of the game to cover me, so he might rack up a few more touches than he otherwise would at full back. Oh is there a market for how many touches Roughead gets in the 3rd quarter?"

Unlikely, yes. Impossible, no.

Back