Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XI - McKay. Goldstein. Gresham. Duursma!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why aren't Essendon in the Elijah Hollands game? Essendon were the only club who told Elijah they would take him if there in his draft year so they have had interest. Could probably get it done for our 2nd rounder, seems like good business to me.

On CPH2065 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hollands hasn’t really fired a shot since being drafted. If you’ve watched him in the VFL you’d know why he isn’t knocking the door down for a senior game at a struggling Gold Coast.

It’s obvious to me they are working on a contract to trigger band 2 compensation but not have to pay Gresham band 2 salary (which he isn’t worth) over the long term.

Either that or SOS and Dodoro are waiting for eachother to blink…

It’s obvious to me they are working on a contract to trigger band 2 compensation but not have to pay Gresham band 2 salary (which he isn’t worth) over the long term.

Probably the case, haggling likely between manager and essendon rather than essendon and st Kilda

Sure makes a lot of sense from the perspective of us and North. Not so much for WCE. They are giving up a player widely touted as a generational talent for pick 9 and a player who profiles very much like Luke Shuey in his last 2 seasons. If they have any clues at all they have no use for a player like Shiel given their rebuild is a minimum 3 year project. Even if Harley Reid does turn out to be a homesick boy, they're going to get a lot more in return then than pick 9 and a Dylan Shiel equivalent.
It was a tongue in cheek trade.

Why aren't Essendon in the Elijah Hollands game? Essendon were the only club who told Elijah they would take him if there in his draft year so they have had interest. Could probably get it done for our 2nd rounder, seems like good business to me.

On CPH2065 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Who is to say we haven't asked the question? Elijah might simply not be in the Essendon game. And honestly who could blame him?

Yeah starting to think that. The bare minimum to get band 2. a way that suits both sides longer term

The AFL have absolutely ruined this draft with the North concessions.

They currently have five picks in the top twenty... Absolute horseshit.

It’s like a startup club circa 2010 all over again

GWS and Gold Coast should have been made to trade out those (concession) picks for proven players. Ditto north right now

As a wise man once said… “absolute horseshit”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I am not inclined to afford Dodoro any leeway because he is clearly incompetent, his job is to put together a list that works not to identify talent - that's what scouts do, it could be that this attitude is really a symptom of the bigger issue that we never know whether we are coming or going in terms of the list build. It would be easier to commit if the list we had made sense at any given time.

Maybe it's not stubbornness as much as it is fundamentally indecisiveness.

I'm often struck by the reality that the hardest parties to negotiate against are the ones who have no real appreciation of their position.

What grinds my gears is that the same style and type(s) of player Dodoro has preference for a decade conveniently matches that of numerous coaches. None have brought success but the same approach has continued

given its only happened once or twice that I can recall, there’s not exactly a huge range of examples to select from.

If St Kilda are serious about matching if they don’t get band one as per the age this morning then as far as I am concerned they can keep him. Our need is not great enough to warrant that mich money for him.

Who walked away if you can recall?

I think the fact that keeps flying over some people's heads is that we still have our draft hand.

We're effectively loading up, while still rebuilding, if there ever was such a thing.

With what'll be 7 first rounders on the list from debut of the last 5 years, you can't have a better build up than that. Couple more years and we should start getting serious.

Last edited:
Based on the article about some clubs needing to get up to the cap floor I daresay the complication with Gresham is the distribution.

Similar to McKay, I see no reason why they’re not both 1 million dollars players next year under the cap.

In essence, we’d be giving Gresham a 500k signing bonus and then 500k per year for the rest of his deal, won’t make a difference by the time the whips are really cracking for us.

I almost wonder if Dodoro and SOS were too smart for their own good trying to manufacture a trade overpaying Gresh and handing them Sheil and something went south and now we're both scrambling to piece it all back together
Arent they good friends

Id say trying to pay as little to trigger Band 2

700 x 2
675 x 3

With a heavy incentivised contract for year 4 and 5 at 625k

I think the fact that keeps flying over some people's heads is that we still have our draft hand.

We're effectively loading up, while still rebuilding, if there ever was such a thing.

With what'll be 7 first rounders on the list from debut of the last 5 years, you can't have a better build up than that. Couple more years and we should start getting serious.
Yep

Were also a big club and cant really afford to do what North are doing

Whether that should be the case or not is another matter

Just an important factor to consider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back