Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Have we trialed it?
AFLW games have been played on a huge variety of grounds, from as short as 130m to as long as 170m, and from as narrow as 100m to as wide as 140m.

Stoppage numbers clearly show smaller grounds result in more congestion. The numbers also show no clear link between ground size and scoring (unlike how the numbers clearly suggest a link between higher scoring and warmer weather).

Most crucially, what we've seen this year is that increasing match length by 15% has resulted in scores increasing by about 30%. Therefore, if we want to keep opening the game up more, all that needs to happen is another ~10 mins get added next season.

I'd like the goals to be brought in 20m or so each end. And make it a 30m arc to make it easier to score for the women.
Not being patronising but the kick length just isn't there and it makes it a different game.
Do you think the premier womens football comp should be played on smaller grounds than what all other women play at? And if not, where do you think all these different sized grounds come from.

AFLW games have been played on a huge variety of grounds, from as short as 130m to as long as 170m, and from as narrow as 100m to as wide as 140m.

Stoppage numbers clearly show smaller grounds result in more congestion. The numbers also show no clear link between ground size and scoring (unlike how the numbers clearly suggest a link between higher scoring and warmer weather).

Most crucially, what we've seen this year is that increasing match length by 15% has resulted in scores increasing by about 30%. Therefore, if we want to keep opening the game up more, all that needs to happen is another ~10 mins get added next season.
We don't just need to look at women's footy. Men's suburban comps are played on all sized grounds. I played for years at an amateur Perth club, with a main ground about 5 M longer than Subi was. By the logic of, more kicks from one end to the other = less goals, then it should have been a low scoring ground, but it wasn't, it was a high scoring ground. And some of the grounds we played on were tiny, literal kids grounds. What I mostly remember from those grounds was congestion.

Never, in years of playing, did I come across the notion from anyone, We are playing on a small ground today, there will be lots of scoring. Never, it was never a thing, no one equated ground size with scoring. We equated ground size with congestion.

Until the AFLW arrived, when suddenly, it seemed obvious to everyone that they would score more, if only the ground was smaller.

One thing I've noticed is alot of women who came in and played 20 games before retiring or being cut just have fallen into all these media roles as so called experts of the game. I catch myself thinking about it every so often when one of special comments has absolutely no idea what they're on about. Glad for them and the roles need to be filled. And as time goes on the skill and knowledge of former players in these roles will improve. And yes, some men in media struggle to. But they still have the skill and knowledge to atleast back up what they're saying. So it's hard to take these women seriously at times atleast when listening to them. I'm thinking of Kate McCarthy as one example yesterday but there's been a good dozen of them float through.

Bearing in mind AFLW isn't exactly like AFL, who are these other experts on AFLW you'd have in place of these women, right now? Men commenting on the women's game is pretty useless unless they actually watch every game and understand the differences in tactics, strategy and game play...

Your post seems to be "Currently they are not great due to lack of experience, which will come in time as women play more and those women transition to the commentary box, but right now it sucks"...erm, yes?

Mind you, there's zero evidence the amount of games played makes someone a better "special comments" person or not.

Broadcasting is an entirely different skill set.

I'll give you an example. During the 1970s in the USA, ABC's NFL Monday Night Football dominated the airwaves, with its most well known star being "special comments" (as we'd call the role in Australia) person, Howard Cossell.

Now, Howard never played American Football. In fact, he wasn't even actually a journalist.

He was originally a lawyer, and got his start hosting a half-hour little league baseball program on New York radio!

The one thing that made him stand out. He was an effective communicator and great storyteller.

The more broadcasters (in all sports) get over this decades long obsession that a special comments person has to be an ex-player/coach, the better their coverage will be.

Mind you, there's zero evidence the amount of games played makes someone a better "special comments" person or not.

Broadcasting is an entirely different skill set.

I'll give you an example. During the 1970s in the USA, ABC's NFL Monday Night Football dominated the airwaves, with its most well known star being "special comments" (as we'd call the role in Australia) person, Howard Cossell.

Now, Howard never played American Football. In fact, he wasn't even actually a journalist.

He was originally a lawyer, and got his start hosting a half-hour little league baseball program on New York radio!

The one thing that made him stand out. He was an effective communicator and great storyteller.

The more broadcasters (in all sports) get over this decades long obsession that a special comments person has to be an ex-player/coach, the better their coverage will be.
But like expecting a race caller to have been a great jockey.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bearing in mind AFLW isn't exactly like AFL, who are these other experts on AFLW you'd have in place of these women, right now? Men commenting on the women's game is pretty useless unless they actually watch every game and understand the differences in tactics, strategy and game play...

Your post seems to be "Currently they are not great due to lack of experience, which will come in time as women play more and those women transition to the commentary box, but right now it sucks"...erm, yes?
I thought Leigh Montagna was an excellent AFLW commentator, I think it was his first commentating gig, but he always sounded very confident and knowledgeable either when commentating or providing special comments.

AFLW need a night GF at Marvel and a big name act.
Agreed but what if an interstate club earns the right to host?
Should the AFL book Marvel on the odd chance a Victorian team is the highest ranked? They would be losing potential revenue when the venue could be booked out for concerts which would be far more profitable.

What I think is needed is a ~25,000 seat stadium in Melbourne to host events like this. Marvel is too big, Ikon Park (in its current configuration anyway) is too small and has substandard facilities.

Nothing from the AFL regarding the shoulder to the head of Jasmine Garner late in the third.

I think that makes it seven instances in the last 18 months that a North Melbourne AFL or AFLW player (CCJ, McKay, Kearney to name a few) was struck in the head and the MRO thought it didn't warrant a suspension, or even a fine.

The head is sacrosanct unless it's a North Melbourne head.

If it's the same one I'm thinking of - near the goals, with Garner running slightly back, I thought it looked bad live, but on the replay I changed my mind as I felt the Brisbane player (Campbell I think) had eyes on the ball as well and didn't really do anything malicious or with intent. If Garner marked it I reckon she would have been fine but as she dropped it she went chasing a bit and clashed with the Lions player.

No idea on any previous instances, but this case I didn't think there was a lot in it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed but what if an interstate club earns the right to host?
Should the AFL book Marvel on the odd chance a Victorian team is the highest ranked? They would be losing potential revenue when the venue could be booked out for concerts which would be far more profitable.

What I think is needed is a ~25,000 seat stadium in Melbourne to host events like this. Marvel is too big, Ikon Park (in its current configuration anyway) is too small and has substandard facilities.
The AFLW season will be brought forward, GF in October perhaps, before the concert season or cricket starts, so access to grounds will be much better.

If it's the same one I'm thinking of - near the goals, with Garner running slightly back, I thought it looked bad live, but on the replay I changed my mind as I felt the Brisbane player (Campbell I think) had eyes on the ball as well and didn't really do anything malicious or with intent. If Garner marked it I reckon she would have been fine but as she dropped it she went chasing a bit and clashed with the Lions player.

No idea on any previous instances, but this case I didn't think there was a lot in it.

The only incident I can think of was the loose ball where the two players were both going for it and agree that live it looked bad, but on replay I'm not sure it was even worth a free kick with Campbell (?) putting herself in a position to win the ball & potentially even have her hands on the ball before contact was made

I'm not sure those are the types of incidents we want to see reported - it was two players going for the ball, and sometimes in those situations one will come off worse than the other, but I'm not sure it's the type of intent we want taken out of the game

I'd rather see a bigger focus on coming down harder for incidents off the ball with those automatically receiving a higher grading compared with a situation occurring within play

The only incident I can think of was the loose ball where the two players were both going for it and agree that live it looked bad, but on replay I'm not sure it was even worth a free kick with Campbell (?) putting herself in a position to win the ball & potentially even have her hands on the ball before contact was made

I'm not sure those are the types of incidents we want to see reported - it was two players going for the ball, and sometimes in those situations one will come off worse than the other, but I'm not sure it's the type of intent we want taken out of the game

I'd rather see a bigger focus on coming down harder for incidents off the ball with those automatically receiving a higher grading compared with a situation occurring within play
The incident I was talking about was in the last 90 seconds or so of the third quarter when Jas was attempting a mark, she had it in her hands when she was hit by her opponent, and in her attempt to knock the ball away, her shoulder hit Jas in the jaw, and while it was a genuine attempt, it looked a little late. The umpires called play on while Jas remained on the ground for 5-10 seconds feeling her jaw before getting up. Jas didn't have a great fourth quarter so it may have had an effect on her as well.

While I thought it may have been worth a look at the MRO didn't think so, but I do think it should have been a free kick, the umpires are always happy to give free kicks for the most innocuous of head high incidents, but to miss an obvious one, and in such an important game is a little embarrassing.

Last edited:
The incident I was talking about was in the last 90 seconds or so of the third quarter when Jas was attempting a mark, she had it in her hands when she was hit by her opponent, and in her attempt to knock the ball away, her shoulder hit Jas in the jaw, and while it was a genuine attempt, it looked a little late. The umpires called play on while Jas remained on the ground for 5-10 seconds feeling her jaw before getting up. Jas didn't have a great fourth quarter so it may have had an effect on her as well.

While I thought it may have been worth a look at the MRO didn't think so, but I do think it should have been a free kick, the umpires are always happy to give free kicks for the most innocuous of head high incidents, but to miss an obvious one, and in such an important game is a little embarrassing.

I don't really remember that - it would be interesting to see a replay of it, but they don't often seem to do that for the women's game

Yeah I went and had a look at the Kayo replay and found it right at the end of the third quarter with 51 seconds left. Garner was left on the ground for a few seconds but at the next ball up about 15 seconds later she was up and rubbing her jaw and giving a thumbs up.

I agree we've seen free kicks given freely at times so wouldn't have been surprised if it was given when it happened, but I didn't think it was worthy of any further review.

What will North have to give up for Birch? Can she walk to North for nothing since she in uncontracted?
No, that would only be the case if Melbourne didn't offer her a contract for next season.

She was ostensibly traded for pick 8 back in 2019. It would therefore seem likely that North Melbourne's first rounder (pick 19) will be changing hands to get the deal done. That is unless a player (such as Ellie Gavalas, who wouldn't be a bizarre replacement for Eliza West) requests a trade back the other way.

No, that would only be the case if Melbourne didn't offer her a contract for next season.

She was ostensibly traded for pick 8 back in 2019. It would therefore seem likely that North Melbourne's first rounder (pick 19) will be changing hands to get the deal done. That is unless a player (such as Ellie Gavalas, who wouldn't be a bizarre replacement for Eliza West) requests a trade back the other way.
Told not required and no contract offered. So will be a late pick and on lowest tier of money.

Told not required and no contract offered. So will be a late pick and on lowest tier of money.
There would be no need to even give up a late pick for a player not offered a contract.

Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back