Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw this article at The Roar and liked it and wanted to share it around.

Thanks for the link.

I think the main takeaway for me is consistent with my own view that while the AFLW comp is in its infancy and junior womens footy is producing plug and play 18 year olds for the most part we should see any cellar dwelling and expansion teams hitting the draft hard and being competitive a lot quicker than we see in the mens game.

Which leads me to question whether there should be scope for elite 17 year olds to enter the AFLW comp a season earlier and also play VFLW in their U17 season. Numerous other sporting comps have seen elite young women representing their country at senor level at 15, 16 and 17 years of age so surely the Newton and McEvoy types would be able to cope with senior national level footy while at high school. I think their should still be a general draft age of 18 for most draftees but the status quo is artificially cutting a year (or 2) off careers just by following the men's precedent.

For example if Georgia Prespakis dominates the 2020 NAB league as she should given her performances as an under 16 player 2 years younger than her peers in 2019 it seems stupid that she won't be able to test herself at VFLW level in 2020 and be in the AFLW from Round 1 2021. For what it is worth I actually expect that she would be AFLW ready for 2020 but recognise that is probably a bridge to far for the AFLW administrators to get their heads around.

Wouldn't have called this a shock... if it came right after the 2019 season. But to pull the pin at this juncture, especially after playing through the winter to some acclaim, bit of a headscratcher. Shame, would've liked to see her recapture that (frankly underrated) form of '18.

Wouldn't have called this a shock... if it came right after the 2019 season. But to pull the pin at this juncture, especially after playing through the winter to some acclaim, bit of a headscratcher. Shame, would've liked to see her recapture that (frankly underrated) form of '18.
Yes, surely you make this call 6 weeks ago. Seems strange. Maybe just the thought of preseason and where her body was at meant she couldnt go through with it.

God is there anything more Darcy Vescio wants to whinge about? she now thinks its too hard for the girls to balance playing footy and having a career. The men only went full-time in the 2000's, they balanced footy & career for 140 years. I think the girls will manage.

God is there anything more Darcy Vescio wants to whinge about? she now thinks its too hard for the girls to balance playing footy and having a career. The men only went full-time in the 2000's, they balanced footy & career for 140 years. I think the girls will manage.
CBA negotiations are over and everybody already knows Vescio's views, we don't have to jump up and down every time the Herald Sun flogs a dead horse.

---

In other news, Richmond has a big fanbase. This too is apparently shocking, going by Neil Balme's comments:
At Richmond's inaugural AFLW training session on Monday night, football boss Neil Balme said the Tigers were in discussion with the AFL over whether Punt Road would be able to host games.

"That's a genuine challenge, because we're not really set up for big crowds," Balme said.

"That'll be something we're actually talking to the AFL now about as to whether we can really play games here or not.

"We're programmed to have a couple but we're really looking at that to make sure we can provide what they think we can provide."
Again, one might have expected these conversations to take place slightly earlier. In a way it's a nice problem to have, but the bitter irony is that moving a game from Punt Road to Ikon Park might mean they go from attracting 10k at a 6k venue to pulling 7k in a 25k venue. Neither are ideal scenarios.

The 5.45pm Friday game in round 7 against Brisbane, decent chance of being a dead rubber, prrrrobably not gonna be a lock out. Round 3 on a Sunday afternoon is a different story. Nevertheless, it seems the trepidation isn't just about fitting in x amount of people, but doing so with adequate facilities that meet the league's lofty criteria (if so, shouldn't be a problem based on my experience attending AFLW matches).

CBA negotiations are over and everybody already knows Vescio's views, we don't have to jump up and down every time the Herald Sun flogs a dead horse.

---

In other news, Richmond has a big fanbase. This too is apparently shocking, going by Neil Balme's comments:

Again, one might have expected these conversations to take place slightly earlier. In a way it's a nice problem to have, but the bitter irony is that moving a game from Punt Road to Ikon Park might mean they go from attracting 10k at a 6k venue to pulling 7k in a 25k venue. Neither are ideal scenarios.

The 5.45pm Friday game in round 7 against Brisbane, decent chance of being a dead rubber, prrrrobably not gonna be a lock out. Round 3 on a Sunday afternoon is a different story. Nevertheless, it seems the trepidation isn't just about fitting in x amount of people, but doing so with adequate facilities that meet the league's lofty criteria (if so, shouldn't be a problem based on my experience attending AFLW matches).
I didnt read that as needing a bigger venue, I read it as, was Punt road really capable of dealing with any crowd at all, to the degree required for AFLW.

I didnt read that as needing a bigger venue, I read it as, was Punt road really capable of dealing with any crowd at all, to the degree required for AFLW.
The first line of the article mentions the Tigers' large fanbase, Balme is quoted as mentioning "we're not really set up for big crowds", and venue changes have only happened for one reason so far.

There's no way Olympic Park is/was more capable of hosting matches. Likewise Arden Street and quite a few others. Yet Punt Road was suitable enough to host a packed-out VFL final this year.

Not really doing the image of the league any favours given the AFL/state league players did this for decades with far longer and more draining seasons.

The first line of the article mentions the Tigers' large fanbase, Balme is quoted as mentioning "we're not really set up for big crowds", and venue changes have only happened for one reason so far.
1. The big crowds that the AFLW can expect, together with 7 games pw, are other reasons for creating a new, permanent Thur. night time FTA slot.
When Melbourne teams are playing home games against non-Victorian teams, these games can & should be held on Thur. nights (often at smaller venues) in summer- 7pm start.

Punt Rd is ideal for a Thur. night game against a non-Victorian team, it can handle the expected crowd, c.5000 (ie capacity), on a Thur. night.

Permanent Thur. night (& more on other nights) time slots are essential because:-

a. women are not playing playing in the hot sun, more comfortable & safer for players & fans (possibility of skin cancer)- both are happier...WIN.
Heat exposure or exhaustion can usually cause a loss of concentration, slower reaction times, poorer disposal efficiency etc- which will cause more injuries. WIN.

b. players are better able to display their skills, if they don't have sweaty hands/sweat & suntan lotion in eyes/ higher sun in eyes/over-heated...WIN

c. more likelihood, therefore, of higher scores, more entertaining game...WIN

d. more goals + more ad breaks: advertisers are happier with the AFLW, more advertising $...WIN

e. higher ratings for the AFLW increase its appeal for the teams' sponsors, as their sponsors gets more exposure (see point 2. below)...WIN

f. Thur. night is Prime Time, so MUCH higher ratings- better for maximising exposure/popularity of the AFLW...WIN

g. higher ratings, obviously, are more desirable for broadcasters...WIN

h. higher ratings increase the commercial value of the AFLW Right $...WIN

i. higher ratings are necessary to fulfil the AFLW ambition to become, eventually, a full time professional competition for c.600+ players...VERY BIG WIN

2. There are other very important reasons for raising the profile of the AFLW, via higher game ratings.
Female teams, from all sports, cf. men's teams "...rank highest with the public for emotional connection and trust..."
"...to teams, Rights' holders and sponsors, they're as relevant as outcome-based measures like attendance, TV ratings and memberships".

News for the AFL is not so good here.

"The stronger the emotional connection to a sports team, the more likely an individual is to connect to the team's sponsors".

Last edited:
1. The big crowds that the AFLW can expect, together with 7 games pw, are other reasons for creating a new, permanent Thur. night time FTA slot.
When Melbourne teams are playing home games against non-Victorian teams, these games can & should be held on Thur. nights (often at smaller venues) in summer-7.30 start.

Punt Rd is ideal for a Thur. night game against a non-Victorian team, it can handle the expected crowd, c.5000 (ie capacity), on a Thur. night.

Permanent Thur. night time slots are essential because:-

. women are not playing playing in the hot sun, more comfortable & safer for players & fans (possibility of skin cancer)...WIN

. players are better able to display their skills, if they don't have sweaty hands/sweat & suntan lotion in eyes/sun in eyes/over-heated...WIN

. more likelihood, therefore, of higher scores, more entertaining game...WIN

. more goals + more ad breaks: advertisers are happier with the AFLW, more advertising $...WIN

. higher ratings for the AFLW increase its appeal for the sponsors, as their company gets more exposure (see point 2. below)...WIN

. Thur. night is Prime Time, so MUCH higher ratings- better for maximising exposure/popularity of the AFLW...WIN

. higher ratings, obviously, are more desirable for broadcasters...WIN

. higher ratings increase the commercial value of the AFLW Right $...WIN

. higher ratings are necessary to fulfil the AFLW ambition to become, eventually, a full time professional competition for c.600+ players...VERY BIG WIN

2. There are other very important reasons for raising the profile of the AFLW, via higher game ratings.
Female teams, from all sports, cf. men's teams "...rank highest with the public for emotional connection and trust...to teams, Rights' holders and sponsors, they're as relevant as outcome-based measures like attendance, TV ratings and memberships".

This also depends on 7 wanting to have an AFLW game in its Thursday night line up regularly, which they may not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The knee curse continues. Chelsea Randall has done her ACL at the first Crows preseason training session.
Such an issue are knee injuries. Gutted for Chelsea

Personally gonna miss Chelsea's aerobatics. The Crows have great leaders named Courtney to help absorb losses in the captaincy department, and if Phillips can get back in time for even half of the season (supposing it's not foolishly rushed) then who knows what they might conjure. Nevertheless this latest news guarantees their games are going to be less entertaining than usual.

In case anybody (like me) was wondering and/or couldn't remember: Randall signed a two-year contract with Adelaide back in April. And she turns 29 in June 2020.

When Melbourne teams are playing home games against non-Victorian teams, these games can & should be held on Thur. nights (often at smaller venues) in summer-7.30 start.

Permanent Thur. night time slots are essential because:-

. women are not playing playing in the hot sun, more comfortable & safer for players & fans (possibility of skin cancer)...WIN

. players are better able to display their skills, if they don't have sweaty hands/sweat & suntan lotion in eyes/sun in eyes/over-heated...WIN

. more likelihood, therefore, of higher scores, more entertaining game...WIN

. more goals + more ad breaks: advertisers are happier with the AFLW, more advertising $...WIN

. higher ratings for the AFLW increase its appeal for the sponsors, as their company gets more exposure (see point 2. below)...WIN

. Thur. night is Prime Time, so MUCH higher ratings- better for maximising exposure/popularity of the AFLW...WIN

. higher ratings, obviously, are more desirable for broadcasters...WIN

. higher ratings increase the commercial value of the AFLW Right $...WIN

. higher ratings are necessary to fulfil the AFLW ambition to become, eventually, a full time professional competition for c.600+ players...VERY BIG WIN

Female teams, from all sports, cf. men's teams "...rank highest with the public for emotional connection and trust...to teams, Rights' holders and sponsors, they're as relevant as outcome-based measures like attendance, TV ratings and memberships".

"The stronger the emotional connection to a sports team, the more likely an individual is to connect to the team's sponsors".
Yes its a fact that the top Womens Sports/Teams have a International basis according to the article - Nah that does not matter according to AFL House and most AFLW fans on here who live in the AFLW bubble.
We dont need an International basis do we however the Guardian is also a feel good lefty newspaper so that does discount the article a bit.

No it isn't.
The AFL were smashed for scheduling night games at Drummoyne, which is a far more suitable night venue.
Can you clarify your 2 points? Are you saying Punt Rd lights can't be fixed, to ensure their lux rating & reliability?

Can you challenge or rebut any of my points a-i in post#1736?
(My points prove that more night games are necessary to advance the AFLW)

Are you saying Punt Rd lights can't be fixed, to ensure their lux rating & reliability?
Are you saying the venue "IS ideal", or are you saying it "COULD be ideal with millions of dollars in upgrades"?

Can you challenge or rebut any of my points a-i in post#1736?
(My points prove that more night games are necessary to advance the AFLW)
Give it up, the AFL would schedule nothing but night games if they could.

Typically useless contribution from this poster.^

1. The Age J.Pierik 10.1.20

Collingwood's AFLW player S. Layton is very confidently predicting the 2020 AFLW will have an average higher standard than 2019- based on her observations of Coll. FC. AFLW team's improved standard in pre-season training etc., & the improved standard of the 2019 VFLW matches.

Virtually all AFLW experts agreed that there has been an improvement in average skill levels every year since the AFLW started in 2017. Adding 4 new teams in 2020, however, has caused a concern that this improvement may not continue- c. 100 new players will be added to the AFLW (but current AFLW players have become more skilled!).

IMO, c. 70%+ of previous AFLW games were of a good standard (relative to the actual AF experience of the players), & a good or great fan spectacle.

About 15% were just average or OK.

About 15% were uninspiring or poor.

Unfortunately for the AFLW, IMO, it has been "cursed"- some of the high profile, evening FTA games were overrepresented in the poor category.
The AFLW's image hasn't recovered (decline in average ratings) from the 2018, much hyped. Coll. v. Carlton season opener: an embarassing & goal-less half, played in good conditions &, rightfully, received a tirade of criticism.

As the players become more skilful, the fan entertainment value of AFLW games will certainly rise, as will its ratings & crowds (the latter already 2nd in the world- for female stand-alone, non-international, team sport). Their skills will compare very closely to men (but won't kick as far), if all AFLW players become full time (& they play from the age of 5 y.o., & have similar elite jnr pathways to male AF players).

2. Melb. SEN Radio N. Negrepontis AFLW podcast Dec. 2019

AFAIK, this topic hasn't been discussed on BF before-all AFLW players & teams were recently rated by experts, to determine that the 2020 Conferences are as even as possible.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back