Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't believe anyone would question the value of supporting womens footy, it's an absolute no brainer, and every dollar spent will be returned in multiples.

Already, the amount of net money the AFL puts in is measly, womens footy already generates decent sponsorship and the TV rights are worth $2.5 million per annum.

But that's not the best bit. Others have already noted the new fans being brought to the game, but also consider that all over Australia, local councils and state governments are investing in facilities because of the growth of womens footy.

It's a whole new ball game and Australian Football is at the front of the line.

Not quite, the AFLW costs the AFL 14 million for seven weeks to run it. Hopefully in the next few years it will be able to start generating its own revenue from attendance to help cover some of those expenses.

It was always a condition of entry to the AFLW that clubs were going to have to be able to sustain the pay burden themselves in the long run. The AFL is not going to be footing the `full` bill for the players indefinitely.

$36 mill seems a lot, but remember there will be 18 clubs + the AFL raising the money. If each club through AFLW membership, merchandise, game day revenue and in particular, sponsorship, can raise $2 mill on average, there is $36 mill straight of the bat, not even counting TV revenue and AFL sponsorship.

I think in a few years, clubs like WCE, Collingwood etc will turn over $2 mill easy. Some clubs will struggle, and they will get handouts (as occurs in the AFL).

Total revenue in the 30 - 40 mill range for the full 18 team comp will be pretty easy to reach imop, its the step after that, that will be hard.

$2million is still a great deal of money to raise per club (aside from West Coast who would do it easily). A standalone VFL club costs around $500k per year and it's only in the past 6 or so years that most clubs started investing in those.

You can cite sponsorship, but the TV deals which are dictated by advertising are still modest. Plus clubs already battle to extract the most they can out of that, there's not an endless supply of lucrative sponsors to go around.

They're not going to get close to the $2million figure without serious growth in the TV deal and profitable match days.

Not quite, the AFLW costs the AFL 14 million for seven weeks to run it. Hopefully in the next few years it will be able to start generating its own revenue from attendance to help cover some of those expenses.

How does it cost the AFL 14 million? Total player payments are 2.75 million, double that to include coaches and support staff which is generous. Umpires and admin may take up another 2 million.
They have heaps of sponsors to cover lots of their costs so how is it costing the AFL 14 million? Serious question as I don’t know.

I too would like to know where this 14 million comes from.

How does it cost the AFL 14 million? Total player payments are 2.75 million, double that to include coaches and support staff which is generous. Umpires and admin may take up another 2 million.
They have heaps of sponsors to cover lots of their costs so how is it costing the AFL 14 million? Serious question as I don’t know.

Player payments are totalled at 4.74m for 2019.

100,000 at the MCG next year? :D

AFLW GF 2017 attendance - 15,610
AFLW GF 2018 attendance - 7,083
AFLW GF 2019 attendance - 53,034

100,000 at the MCG next year? :D

AFLW GF 2017 attendance - 15,610
AFLW GF 2018 attendance - 7,083
AFLW GF 2019 attendance - 53,034

It'd be something to see SunGirl - for sure. They really need to make the season longer, which is a topic that gets discussed a great deal by everyone - no idea why the AFL don't address that, it's ridiculous.

what Were the crowds across the board compared to year one and two?
AFLW H&A attendance totals:
2017 - 182,410 (28 games)
2018 - 174,012 (27 games)*
2019 - 178,183 (34 games)**

AFLW Season attendance totals:
2017 - 198,020 (28+1 games)
2018 - 181,095 (27+1 games)*
2019 - 251,792 (34+3 games)**

AFLW H&A attendance averages:
2017 - 6,515 (28 games)
2018 - 6,445 (27 games)*
2019 - 5,241 (34 games)**

AFLW Season attendance averages:
2017 - 6,828 (28+1 games)
2018 - 6,468 (27+1 games)*
2019 - 6,805 (34+3 games)**

* 2018 - attendance at one game not recorded
** 2019 - attendance at one game not recorded

Last edited:
Craig Hutchison suggested the following on Footy Classified for the 2020 season (no conferences). We can debate the merits of his suggestion but I applaud him for at least putting some thought into it. One criticism, his dates are incorrect as he looked at the 2019 calendar rather than 2020.

My opinion:
- 6/14 finalists rather than 8/14
- 8 or 10 rounds rather than 9
- forget playing for double points, advantages home teams

AFLW-2020a.jpg AFLW-2020b.jpg AFLW-2020c.jpg AFLW-2020d.jpg

Last edited:

It comes from the organisational costs including travel, venue costs, marketing etc etc. it’s not just the players that are being paid for the comp to occur. I work in women’s football and this is the info told to me by someone higher up in the industry than myself. If you don’t want to believe it that’s up to you, but I trust this person.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It comes from the organisational costs including travel, venue costs, marketing etc etc. it’s not just the players that are being paid for the comp to occur. I work in women’s football and this is the info told to me by someone higher up in the industry than myself. If you don’t want to believe it that’s up to you, but I trust this person.

Nothing to do with not believing, was actually interested and thank you for the information.

A net cost of $14 million to the AFL?

I find that very hard to believe.

I certainly can if you include the elite pathways investments which are obviously contributing significantly to the quality coming in.

The salary at each club was apparently about 500k and the football department spend about 400k (notionally met by the clubs but I suspect that isn't the case with some clubs).

4 new teams next year and the minimum salary is linked to time demands and so will increase with an expanded season. Then pretty soon there'll be four me again

And then the stand alone games all cost money to put on. I heard a number of $800k a round but not sure what that includes.

I certainly can if you include the elite pathways investments which are obviously contributing significantly to the quality coming in.

The salary at each club was apparently about 500k and the football department spend about 400k (notionally met by the clubs but I suspect that isn't the case with some clubs).

4 new teams next year and the minimum salary is linked to time demands and so will increase with an expanded season. Then pretty soon there'll be four me again

And then the stand alone games all cost money to put on. I heard a number of $800k a round but not sure what that includes.

But even on your figures, the maximum spend on the AFLW would assume zero receipts, which is not the case.

But even on your figures, the maximum spend on the AFLW would assume zero receipts, which is not the case.

With the elite pathways investment I suggested it could be. Also marketing head office etc (to the extent they are not captured in the 800k)

You could be right that the afl's total expenditure on the aflw alone is $14m rather than net of receipts. I would be shocked if it's overall net out goings on female didnt exceed that figure though

Adelaide has had a higher allowance on football spend for their Women's team compared to the other teams because of the travel costs associated with players and coach based in the NT. I know last year that they couldn't afford to send some of their regular trainers to away games because it would have resulted in an overspend on the football operating costs as they had regular players from the NT in the team.

Why this obsession with cost? If the AFL decides they can't afford it they will do something about it. When it's all added up I am positive the AFL wouldn't run the competition unless they saw some long term gain. It's hard to put a money value on the 100s of thousands of new players and supporters the AFLW has brought to the game but i'm sure it's quite considerable.

I flat out dont believe it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back