Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Huh? They were well down?

The GF inflated what has trending down even with new teams added.
Averages are not really meaningful in the context of womens football, and trends from averages are even worse.
Firstly, there are to few games. The fewer the data points, the less accurate the average.
Second, if the data doesn't come from `like` sets, then changes in the average tend to reflect differences within the data sets, not actual average changes.

eg, do we include the Optus game in last years average? Everyone says it wasn't a real AFLW crowd, but if you include it, it bumps the average a lot, but if you exclude it, you are arbitrarily excluding data because it doesn't look like you want it to.

It seems you want to exclude the GF for the same reason. The problem with this is, if next years Grand Final was in Tasmania during a storm, people would be happy to include it as it fits expectations.

This year there were several Tasmanian games included in the averages, but last year, no Tasmanian games, this changes the averages.

The huge difference between the biggest AFLW crowds and the smallest, and the small number of games means a fixture that replaces a large drawing game with a small drawing one, or vice versa, has a huge impact on crowd averages. We get differences in the mens to, but its averaged out over a much larger data set.

Huh? They were well down?

The GF inflated what has trending down even with new teams added.

The fact that you are referencing the new teams being added speaks volumes. Averages tend to fall when new teams are added, not rise

2019 had by far the highest attendance in aggregate.

It had more on average than 2018.

The GF obviously helped this outcome substantially but, on the other hand, 2018's numbers benefited from the 40K at the Optus stadium match.

The brutal harsh truth though for the death riders is that 2019 finished up on a far bigger high than the first two years. It was the first year the GF, despite being up against the men's season, rated higher and got a bigger attendance than the opening game

The fact that you are referencing the new teams being added speaks volumes. Averages tend to fall when new teams are added, not rise

The GF obviously helped this outcome substantially but, on the other hand, 2018's numbers benefited from the 40K at the Optus stadium match.

The brutal harsh truth though for the death riders is that 2019 finished up on a far bigger high than the first two years. It was the first year the GF, despite being up against the men's season, rated higher and got a bigger attendance than the opening game

There also the major issues of when games are scheduled, what the weather was for those games - a 40 C day game is not going to get the crowd of a night game when the temperature is in the high 20s - low 30s. The AFL apparently use the drop off in round 3 games as an "issue" for AFLW, but the round 3 games have been scheduled for ridiculous times - there was even an 11:30 am Sunday game in year 2! No wonder there are crowd number declines happening.

yes they both had two games that were outliers that inflated them but I'm talking like for like home and away. It went down when and considering the new teams brought bigger crowds at the start as they were new then it's been a steady fall season on season and that's even with the AFL's extra friendly crowd counting (let's just add 10k onto the gf for example).

The TV ratings also fell off a cliff this year? It has to be majorly concerning, it's probably why the huge promo push about the crowds for the GF.

yes they both had two games that were outliers that inflated them but I'm talking like for like home and away. It went down when and considering the new teams brought bigger crowds at the start as they were new then it's been a steady fall season on season and that's even with the AFL's extra friendly crowd counting (let's just add 10k onto the gf for example).

The TV ratings also fell off a cliff this year? It has to be majorly concerning, it's probably why the huge promo push about the crowds for the GF.

Neither crowds or ratings "fell off a cliff" but believe what you want dude. I can't imagine how one's life must be to think women's football is "falling off a cliff" might make them feel happier but, anyway, good luck with that

Neither crowds or ratings "fell off a cliff" but believe what you want dude. I can't imagine how one's life must be to think women's football is "falling off a cliff" might make them feel happier but, anyway, good luck with that

I never said it made me feel happier, just reading this thread and talk of easily getting the sponsors for 2million bucks doesn't match reality at all. Tell me where did the prelims land in ratings land? For that matter the rest of the season there was hardly any games even registering enough viewers to get on the ratings list from what I can tell this started about round 2.

This stuff is concerning for people like myself who follow a team who can't afford to be losing million+ or even 500k when the men's side can't even generate enough revenue.

I never said it made me feel happier, just reading this thread and talk of easily getting the sponsors for 2million bucks doesn't match reality at all. Tell me where did the prelims land in ratings land? For that matter the rest of the season there was hardly any games even registering enough viewers to get on the ratings list from what I can tell this started about round 2.

This stuff is concerning for people like myself who follow a team who can't afford to be losing million+ or even 500k when the men's side can't even generate enough revenue.

You don't even have a women's side. You just don't want resources directed to women's football

The ratings / crowds haven't "fallen off a cliff". That's nonsense

The Sunday PF averaged 41,000 viewers on Foxtel, we know that much. If the decision-makers are concerned about such figures, they could easily improve on it in the future just through fixturing alone. Nevertheless, as a habitual peruser of the Top Rating Programs list you would already know how frequently professional men's sport rates lower than 41k.

There's a lot of research you can do to catch up on how clubs come out ahead by fielding women's teams. Start with fellow small club Brisbane and their training facilities at Springfield, or if you prefer reverse-chronological order then check out the funding heading to cross-town rival Adelaide. You will quickly figure out why, despite missing the boat initially, Port Adelaide are on the record saying they now want an AFLW team ASAP!

The Sunday PF averaged 41,000 viewers on Foxtel, we know that much. If the decision-makers are concerned about such figures, they could easily improve on it in the future just through fixturing alone. Nevertheless, as a habitual peruser of the Top Rating Programs list you would already know how frequently professional men's sport rates lower than 41k.

There's a lot of research you can do to catch up on how clubs come out ahead by fielding women's teams. Start with fellow small club Brisbane and their training facilities at Springfield, or if you prefer reverse-chronological order then check out the funding heading to cross-town rival Adelaide. You will quickly figure out why, despite missing the boat initially, Port Adelaide are on the record saying they now want an AFLW team ASAP!

Wanting a team for government handouts is not a good reason for long term sustainability of the entire club. Brisbane are a financial basketcase, it's another giant money sink for them but they know they'll get government money to help them when in need thanks to AFL lobbying. My own club is throwing out a press release because the AFL went nuts trying to drum up women's footy during the GF week and wanted to get something out to Port supporters who were fretting about the Crows (literally people freaking out because something they didn't have even though they have zero interest in going if they did have it).

Yes it averaged 41k and was also on FTA so it's an absolutely absymal result, the other prelim didn't even make it at all on to either list which is hard to do. You can't spin abysmal numbers and the trend is that TV viewership absolutely cratered and literally disappeared. The arguments for it don't even add up either, more teams is supposedly more interest yet crowds dropped even with big opening round crowds to check out the new teams and TV viewing actually evaporated after round 1.

With the expansion next year set to weaken the talent pool again I just think the AFL has rushed it and are basically WNBA'ing it. How they did not manage to learn one lesson from that schmozzle is astounding.

I know the women don't want to play as curtain raisers to the men but the other week I got to the Essendon v St Kilda match early and while sitting there watching a few of the blokes warming up and I thought this being a nice Saturday afternoon would be an ideal time to have Essendon playing St Kilda in a women's match.

I don't get the big deal about whether there is an entry fee or not, local footy doesn't so not sure why the women have too and it could be argued that the AFL clubs already earn enough from members so having a women's side adds some value to those membership fees.

Wanting a team for government handouts is not a good reason for long term sustainability of the entire club. Brisbane are a financial basketcase, it's another giant money sink for them but they know they'll get government money to help them when in need thanks to AFL lobbying. My own club is throwing out a press release because the AFL went nuts trying to drum up women's footy during the GF week and wanted to get something out to Port supporters who were fretting about the Crows (literally people freaking out because something they didn't have even though they have zero interest in going if they did have it).

Yes it averaged 41k and was also on FTA so it's an absolutely absymal result, the other prelim didn't even make it at all on to either list which is hard to do. You can't spin abysmal numbers and the trend is that TV viewership absolutely cratered and literally disappeared. The arguments for it don't even add up either, more teams is supposedly more interest yet crowds dropped even with big opening round crowds to check out the new teams and TV viewing actually evaporated after round 1.

With the expansion next year set to weaken the talent pool again I just think the AFL has rushed it and are basically WNBA'ing it. How they did not manage to learn one lesson from that schmozzle is astounding.

If the AFL was managed solely around club finances then half the Melbourne clubs would have disappeared years ago, and when it comes to government handouts, the Cattery redevelopment was largely paid for by the government, the joys of being a marginal seat and most clubs have received some financial assistance from the government. Not sure about Port but the Essendon FC sells Grand Final tickets and packages every year.

Wanting a team for government handouts is not a good reason for long term sustainability of the entire club. Brisbane are a financial basketcase, it's another giant money sink for them but they know they'll get government money to help them when in need thanks to AFL lobbying.
You're simply wrong about that. Having state-of-the-art facilities is crucial for any AFL club's long-term sustainability. Brisbane were not getting, and did not get, the government funding they needed until AFLW came along.

Yes it averaged 41k and was also on FTA so it's an absolutely absymal result
Yes it was also on FTA so a lot more than the 41k Foxtel viewers were tuned in.

You can't spin abysmal numbers and the trend is that TV viewership absolutely cratered and literally disappeared. The arguments for it don't even add up either, more teams is supposedly more interest yet crowds dropped even with big opening round crowds to check out the new teams and TV viewing actually evaporated after round 1.
What sort of crowds and ratings should AFLW be pulling and why?

The talent pool size is increasing at a faster rate than the number of teams being added. And your WNBA comparison is ridiculous, the numerous differences between how the two leagues were set up is another topic you could research and learn a lot about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strapping Tape are you one of the Port supporters who through pity at Greg Phillips for only having daughters.

Or pissed he wears Crows gear to support his little girl.

I know the women don't want to play as curtain raisers to the men but the other week I got to the Essendon v St Kilda match early and while sitting there watching a few of the blokes warming up and I thought this being a nice Saturday afternoon would be an ideal time to have Essendon playing St Kilda in a women's match.

I don't get the big deal about whether there is an entry fee or not, local footy doesn't so not sure why the women have too and it could be argued that the AFL clubs already earn enough from members so having a women's side adds some value to those membership fees.

Wouldn’t you have preferred to watch VFL in curtain raiser?

Wouldn’t you have preferred to watch VFL in curtain raiser?

Ideally yes the VFL should be the curtain raiser and the AFLW season could run parallel to the AFL season but with the women using the traditional suburban grounds and play their matches at a different time of the weekend so say this weekend Essendon's women's side was playing Brisbane then it could be played Saturday morning or Sunday at Windy Hill to mirror the Essendon AFL side being the home team that way members and supporters could go to both if they wanted.

Enough to know the suspension system was improved as a result of that saga. And more than Yan Zhuang of The Age who thinks Katie "appealed, and lost, with the Human Rights Commission".

There's also been a build-up of things I've noticed which suggests to me the Bulldogs and Brennan parting ways is best for both parties. And I think her move to Richmond is great for the league too.

Her sooking her way to the humans right condition was one of the most disgraceful pieces of behavior ever.

Her sooking her way to the humans right condition was one of the most disgraceful pieces of behavior ever.
What does that have to do with her playing for the Tigers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back