Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Just saw the scuffle from the Derby. What was the Freo girl thinking? Did she think she could get a free kick after the siren?

It was great to see how animated the Eagles player was. I feel the competition is lacking true rivalries and characters at the moment. All the players have the same “happy to be there” attitude and it makes for a really sterile environment.

There’s a mantle for the first AFLW villain waiting to be taken. We’ve got the hero in Daisy Pearce but we need a counterpart to get people passionate about these games.

It’d be the best way to get people invested in the game while the skills aren’t where they need to be.

Reminder there's a Round 2 Discussion thread here:

0a94792ec8ac36416873db4230d57e05.jpg

I know I’m being frivolous but how good did Jacqui Yorston in a longie

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Besides the Irish lass giving away that 50, where else did this occur?
IMO, the 50 m penalty should be changed to 35m in the AFLW- it is simply too big a penalty.
AFLW games (played over shorter duration) are generally lower scoring- this penalty can "gift" a goal; can be the difference between winning & losing a match, if a goal eventuates from the penalty; & most AFLW players can only kick a maximum of c. 40 mtrs.

Theyll have to wait I guess
emoji12.png
Your cynicism, about a crowd of 35,000+, is unwarranted.

AFLW average crowds of c.6200 per game, since 2017, are the 2nd highest in the world for female stand-alone, non-international team sports (behind the WNBA only). A superb achievement.

35,000+ at PS yesterday is a magnificent result for AF, & the AFLW in particular- a world class crowd in non-international, stand-alone female team sport (likely top 8 female etc. crowd ever, in the world?)
And this is in a comp. that is only starting its 4th season, & is still very much in the development stage.

The AFLW has a great future, crowds are certain to grow (assuming it is properly managed, to achieve its full potential)

During one game the Disposal efficiency was shown as 59 and 62 :drunk:.
Some games have been played in very wet conditions- slippery balls effect skill execution; & some games with strong cross winds. (Generally, mimimum, or nil, grandstand wind protection in AFLW games).
The AFLW is only 4 years old, average skills are improving each year.

AF is an extremely difficult sport to play well, cf other sports (which don't use hands & feet, left & right. Also, AFLW players, often sprinting on the world's biggest ovals, are constantly being tackled/bumped etc., or have the fear of such contact when near the ball: fear ruins skill execution, cf non-contact sports).

Last edited:
Just saw the scuffle from the Derby. What was the Freo girl thinking? Did she think she could get a free kick after the siren?

It was great to see how animated the Eagles player was. I feel the competition is lacking true rivalries and characters at the moment. All the players have the same “happy to be there” attitude and it makes for a really sterile environment.

There’s a mantle for the first AFLW villain waiting to be taken. We’ve got the hero in Daisy Pearce but we need a counterpart to get people passionate about these games.

It’d be the best way to get people invested in the game while the skills aren’t where they need to be.
Yeah make it a pantomime instead of a sport. People will love that.

Yeah make it a pantomime instead of a sport. People will love that.

It’s clear as day that sport thrives off rivalry and conflict. It’s the difference between say Sydney FC/WSW or Victory/City in the A-League compared to Stars/Renegades in the BBL.

Genuine rivalries to hook in the audience is the next frontier for AFLW to me.

Scoring has gone down drastically in the men’s but nobody really minds because the rivalries are still there.

The AFLW just has this “nice” tag to it that I think it would be beneficial to shake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quirky stat from the opening round and a half in the AFLW:

10 teams have had more free kicks in a game than total score they have achieved in the game. With 2 games to go in round two, this could quickly become 12 teams.

IMO, the 50 m penalty should be changed to 35m in the AFLW- it is simply too big a penalty.
AFLW games (played over shorter duration) are generally lower scoring- this penalty can "gift" a goal; can be the difference between winning & losing a match, if a goal eventuates from the penalty; & most AFLW players can only kick a maximum of c. 40 mtrs.

Your cynicism, about a crowd of 35,000+, is unwarranted.

AFLW average crowds of c.6200 per game, since 2017, are the 2nd highest in the world for female stand-alone, non-international team sports (behind the WNBA only). A superb achievement.

35,000+ at PS yesterday is a magnificent result for AF, & the AFLW in particular- a world class crowd in non-international, stand-alone female team sport (likely top 8 female etc. crowd ever, in the world?)
And this is in a comp. that is only starting its 4th season, & is still very much in the development stage.

The AFLW has a great future, crowds are certain to grow (assuming it is properly managed, to achieve its full potential)

Some games have been played in very wet conditions- slippery balls effect skill execution; & some games with strong cross winds. (Generally, mimimum, or nil, grandstand wind protection in AFLW games).
The AFLW is only 4 years old, average skills are improving each year.

AF is an extremely difficult sport to play well, cf other sports (which don't use hands & feet, left & right. Also, AFLW players, often sprinting on the world's biggest ovals, are constantly being tackled/bumped etc., or have the fear of such contact when near the ball: fear ruins skill execution, cf non-contact sports).
It did fall well short of the 50k+ some had been spruiking was the expected crowd, that was my point.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

the umpiring so far this year has been woeful, not just one or two games but every game i have seen, you see better umpiring in under 10s

no frees for incorrect disposal of the ball, ffs its not that hard if your tackled fairly with the ball and you drop it, it is a free kick

players taking on tackles and being caught not getting a free against, if you take on a tackle and are caught and do not dispose of it correctly is also free kick, if you take on a tackle, then you have had enough time to get rid it

lingering tackles, once a player has released the ball and then held onto or thrown to the ground is also a free kick

also im not to sure on this one and if someone can help me out, but if a umpire awards a free kick for a deliberate rushed behind, is the free kick taken from where the player ran over the goal line or is it right in front, i thought it was directly in front

Pretty funny comment by that Collingwood girl Livingstone about Tayla Harris "If you stop her in the air shes useless"

Wish some of the blokes were this honest.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
There were better ways to say it. Not a fan of that in sport. These are your peers and what goes around comes around. Fairly disrespectful from a no name. Pretty easy to talk it up as a defender when the delivery is s**t and the attacking team can't move the ball with any fluency yet in the game.

I'd love to see someone like Livingstone be useless once the girls can hit a leading forward on the chest or teams actually move it quickly and efficiently. The lack of marking and kicking skills yet does half the defenders job for them right now.

Lol, it wouldn't be half that % in reality was the point of my post.
The reality is that stat has a misleading name and people don't realise what it actually records.

I created a much better measurement for ball use, numbers for every match in the first three AFLW seasons can be found here. Too many games each week now though so I'm not doing it anymore.

Why are some games ticketed, and some arent?
A few exceptional circumstances, mostly to do with some double-headers with men's matches.

also im not to sure on this one and if someone can help me out, but if a umpire awards a free kick for a deliberate rushed behind, is the free kick taken from where the player ran over the goal line or is it right in front, i thought it was directly in front
I was checking this rule earlier for another reason. It's the same as any other free kick. If it occurs in the goal square then the mark is set directly in front, if it occurs outside the goal square (such as: on the line between the goal post and the behind post) then the mark is just set where the infringement occurred.

operational or fundraising needs according to the league. Double headers with mens preseason games have always been charged.
And Optus games have to be ticketed. You need public transport to get there and the deal with the setup of the ground is that the game ticket acts as the transport ticket. They would then want ticket numbers when planning public transport, as they would need to add a lot of trains specific for Optus.

There were better ways to say it. Not a fan of that in sport. These are your peers and what goes around comes around. Fairly disrespectful from a no name. Pretty easy to talk it up as a defender when the delivery is s**t and the attacking team can't move the ball with any fluency yet in the game.

I'd love to see someone like Livingstone be useless once the girls can hit a leading forward on the chest or teams actually move it quickly and efficiently. The lack of marking and kicking skills yet does half the defenders job for them right now.

Spot on.

Not denying that Tayla Harris (or any of the women for that matter) shouldn't take criticism when it comes. Harris had a very poor game and needs to accept it and work on improving from it. But there are better ways in expressing such views. This is especially the case if the AFLW wishes to be a true professional sporting league of its own.

'Useless' is a fairly animated and somewhat childish word to describe anybody in anyway. If these women are to be role models for younger girls, then they need to practice communication a little better. Then again, I get the feeling that Stacey did not mean for it to come out like that from the moment she said it. It was sort of a 'heat of the moment' response, and I'm sure she'd take it back and rephrase it.

It's not a case of political correctness or words being hurtful. It is about showcasing a sense of professionalism. It is to ensure that people can find new reasons to take women's footy more seriously.

Last edited:

of course there is a better way to say it

with media training and sterilisation of the answer

laud the sports player speaking honestly she thinks taylah is a one trick pony and called her out on it - good on her

enough if this respect/love/hippy s**t - have a crack

went to the derby yesterday and whilst the spectacle was average (it’ll get there) - as soon as the game started o wanted our girls to belt Christ out of Freo (physically and the scoreboard - though the opposite occurred)

The game and skills will gradually improve however there is an elephant in the room that will need to be addressed at some point.

The ground dimensions, equipment and current rules all revolve around men whom run faster and kick longer. A possible 3 kicks from one end of the ground to the other simply cannot be achieved in the female version.
That means more kicks, handballs and possessions are required to cover the equivalent distances for men. More possessions means more opportunities for error and turnovers, for each attacking movement. Whatever distances or pathways may be covered heading to goal in 4 or 5 possessions by the men will take an extra number of possessions for the females to replicate. Now we may eventually find the womens game utilising different styles and plans to try and lessen all those extra possessions required to cover equivalent distances, but the realities remain. They are playing on grounds marked for men and will never cover the same distances with kicks and handballs or achieve the same speeds (bar the odd exception). That is reality.

At some point ground dimensions or different line markings may be considered as well as equipment and rules. In women's Gaelic football there are a few rule variations, shorter game times and a smaller ball is used compared to the men which aids skill levels. I expect we will see similar variations in our game for the women eventually.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back