Preview AFLW 2017 R3 - vs Brisbane (@ Brisbane) Game Day starts #20 ON NOW

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Another ordinary display by the girls, apart from 3 or 4 players the rest are quite average at best, the skill level is no where near where it should be.

Another ordinary display by the girls, apart from 3 or 4 players the rest are quite average at best, the skill level is no where near where it should be.

Calling them Average is being Nice.

Skill Level is of Primary Kids having a Play at Lunchtime

They are average, the performances they have put up haven't been good enough for the hype surrounding them before the comp started and skill level is not good enough.
Anyway it's time to focus on the real stuff now the men's team is up and running

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TD, go carefully with this. My understanding is that all the girls work outside of footy, probably full time, and some in demanding jobs. Then they train and sit in on meetings on top of their work.

I am not blaming our girls and nor am I disappointed in the girls. Its the club I'm questioning here, and the effort they have gone to (or not) to make sure these girls have every opportunity to shine. Some of them are doing really hard yards, and I'm not critical of them.

If you combine Hope's total stats for the season, I wonder if they'd tally up to one acceptable game? I doubt it. For someone of her supposed reputation, she is very underwhelming. I accept that she gets double teamed on occasion, but her level of 'fight' just isn't there. Gives up and drops off the contest way too easily.

After a frustrating start I still enjoyed the game. I reckon in five or so years when the overall skill level improves it's going to be extremely watchable stuff. The skills probably won't be good enough to maintain possession based football, but you'll get good simple contested style of footy that might resemble that of 20-30 years ago.

Last edited:
You are probably right. I'm not into the netball. I've not read a thread or even visited the sub-forum (guilty emoji).
Its funny I am a bit the same despite playing and coaching netball most of my life. Don't think I will be following or going to games.
Women's footy was what I was looking forward to and I agree based on watching last weeks game, not sure how much thought/effort the Club has put in it.

Darn it. Would have been so good to have won that one. At least we were still running strong at the end, something we haven't done in our first two games.
Only caught the last 5 minutes and it was pleasing to see us with all the play. Now we just need to put it all together across one game. D'Arcy sounds like she was our best again, which would make it arguably 3 from 3. Really liked Stevens' attack on the footy to gain the intercept from a Brisbane forward 50 entry. It shows that even though the results haven't gone our way for various reasons the endeavour can't be faulted.

Being in Brisbane I went to the game. Typical hot day which favoured the Lions as they have been training up here in heat all summer.
Not a great game skill wise but I was not expecting high level given the almost amateur level of the Comp. I hate the one on one nature of all teams playing on TV and it showed again today. Turns of lot of play into constant mauls with very little outside movement. As the quarters go by they just get slower and more predictable- btw the 16 rule is crap.
Our girls need just one big improvement- hand skills to stop this incessant fumbling of the ball on the ground. There were plenty of opportunities missed to chain pass but you need clean hands to do it and we don't have it. Bombing is useless in this comp as it always goes to ground and favours the runners.
Too many of our girls seem to be just working the balk forward without a clear path to where it should be going to advantage. It's early days but the setups I saw today won't work for them and when it doesn't it's all reeks of desperation. Sad really as they definitely put a lot of effort in so I won't fault them there.
That said I actually liked the game as I see hope (heh I don't mean her) and the Club needs to dissect what type of strategy they wish to employ and recruit for it. I think they need more sideways movement to open up the defences that sit on them constantly but this can only happen if they can grab the ball when it comes there way. From what I've seen even on TV with the top teams 2 goals per quarter will win any game. There is plenty of game time each qtr to take possession and construct REAL strategies to get 4-5 clean entries to covert those 2.
Them is my thoughts slow it down be clean and be smart. Too much hell for leather at the moment which doesn't suit our girls.

Only caught the last 5 minutes and it was pleasing to see us with all the play. Now we just need to put it all together across one game. D'Arcy sounds like she was our best again, which would make it arguably 3 from 3. Really liked Stevens' attack on the footy to gain the intercept from a Brisbane forward 50 entry even. It shows that even though the results haven't gone our way for various reasons the endeavour can't be faulted.
I only saw the last bit as well, unfortunately. Certainly the endeavour seemed to be there, but perhaps the talent just isn't.

We're obviously well out of contention for the flag this year and a big chance for the first ever wooden spoon, which would be a big disappointment. Hopefully our underwhelming performance will at least ensure the club has a good look at how they've gone about things and make any changes that are necessary. Perhaps the improved effort today will spur them on and they'll pick up a win or two and get off the bottom, if not the number 1 draft pick might come in handy! I have no idea if there's much in the way of decent talent likely to be available to be snapped up, but we are going to need to do much better with our recruiting for next season, it seems.

Its funny I am a bit the same despite playing and coaching netball most of my life. Don't think I will be following or going to games.
Women's footy was what I was looking forward to and I agree based on watching last weeks game, not sure how much thought/effort the Club has put in it.
Well Eddie couldn't even be bothered to turn up to the inaugural game.

37C87CBF00000578-0-image-a-11_1472728242519.jpg

I only saw the last bit as well, unfortunately. Certainly the endeavour seemed to be there, but perhaps the talent just isn't.

We're obviously well out of contention for the flag this year and a big chance for the first ever wooden spoon, which would be a big disappointment. Hopefully our underwhelming performance will at least ensure the club has a good look at how they've gone about things and make any changes that are necessary. Perhaps the improved effort today will spur them on and they'll pick up a win or two and get off the bottom, if not the number 1 draft pick might come in handy! I have no idea if there's much in the way of decent talent likely to be available to be snapped up, but we are going to need to do much better with our recruiting for next season, it seems.
I think we have too many of the same type and not enough pace. While it's across all lines using our forward line as an example Cameron, Hope and Garner are all similar and none provide much run.

I just finished watching the game fast forwarding through large sections. From what I saw we played okay in patches but wind was playing havoc with the ball. Disappointing not to get the win but it might be good to play the last 4 weeks with less pressure.

I also think that the AFL needs to reconsider their not blowing time off in the last 5 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back