Autopsy Brisbane Lions v Collingwood, Friday, October 28 | 8.10pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Bemused by selection again.
I’d love to know why barber isn’t getting a game. Find it staggering given how short we looked up forward/ruck/back!

Effort was there. Cannot question that. So that’s pleasing to see.

We’re about the 6th best team in it, which is probably where I thought we were given the personnel we have on our list.

Unfortunately, with the way the comp is structured, there is nothing we can do about it for the next two years.

Can’t really trade as incentives are not there for players that can make a big difference to move
State based drafts mean the 2 team states simply top up again no matter where they finish.

And can’t really go to draft given how many vic clubs there will be ahead of us and assuming expansion teams get extra picks again.

That and the AFL changing the draft age for next draft so the same list is included as last year….

So what we have is what we have.
Throwing away players just won’t help us for a while.
So best to look at developing them in different roles and trying to find growth where we can.

Been a good year to date. Let’s hope we can win a final and I’ll give the year a pass.

I’d love to know why barber isn’t getting a game. Find it staggering given how short we looked up forward/ruck/back!

We’re about the 6th best team in it, which is probably where I thought we were given the personnel we have on our list.

Unfortunately, with the way the comp is structured, there is nothing we can do about it for the next two years.

Can’t really trade as incentives are not there for players that can make a big difference to move
State based drafts mean the 2 team states simply top up again no matter where they finish.

And can’t really go to draft given how many vic clubs there will be ahead of us and assuming expansion teams get extra picks again.

That and the AFL changing the draft age for next draft so the same list is included as last year….

So best to look at developing them in different roles and trying to find growth where we can.

Been a good year to date. Let’s hope we can win a final and I’ll give the year a pass.
As far as I'm aware, it's a one off mini draft between seasons, then at the end of next season, there will be a full draft of the girls who have finished year 12 next year. Pretty much to avoid what happened this year, where this years draftees are playing their first season while still at school.

It was very clear brisbane were a class above.

Our forward line just have issues and its not a new issue.

Then there is the fact we can't move the ball and how we use it inside 50 isn't any better.

Not sure how to fix it.

But one thing we know we will always get is effort. They'll never stop trying their heart out.

its a fair comment. Davies is a force of nature when she's up and running...we should be grateful that she couldnt stand playing at carlton...
Yes all this is true. However in a ten round season your fate can be decided by the fixture, and did we get lucky there. We beat Geelong who fell in the to eighth place and the other six wins were against teams that didn't make it. Overall so far I think we've under achieved regardless of injury's.

Surely after this season there is a reset of the team. Looks like we will play another elimination final, and on current form not advance.
Symonds as coach needs to be looked at, Fredrick, Downie and Chiocci thanks for your service. Molloy what she worth as a trade. Other players who have been there awhile eg Fowler, need to be assessed if they're worth keeping on the list or moved on. We need to try and attract one of the key forwards from an opposition club, like Wardlaw, Wakefield or a Shierlaw. I would also try to get King back to the club.
This team hasn't advanced in the last few years, we have had long-term injuries to two key players, but we still should be much more competitive against the better teams, and we simply aren't. The ball use and F50 usage is very poor....

I agree with most of that. Downie, Chiocci are officially cooked. Sara Rowe hasn't had any improvement over the last three years, send her to Sydney like they should have in the off season. Erica Fowler is on a two year contract and she hasn't gotten a game. El Chaston has proven to be a bust and that was in a draft when good rucks were available. Lauren Brazalle and Sophie Casey are fringe players, you can't have more than one playing in that backline.

As for Molloy, she hasn't had the best year, but you need her in the forward line. She's the only one kicking goals. She's still our leading goal scorer playing in the midfield. Jordan Membrey should be on the trade table, has had better years but this one she's been below average. Jamie Lambert is out of contract, maybe see what she's worth considering she isn't getting any younger.

We desperately need a ruck. There will be no top-notch rucks in the draft, we need a good trade and a back up ruck. This has been a complete joke by list management I see way too many gaps that need to be filled.

I agree with most of that. Downie, Chiocci are officially cooked. Sara Rowe hasn't had any improvement over the last three years, send her to Sydney like they should have in the off season. Erica Fowler is on a two year contract and she hasn't gotten a game. El Chaston has proven to be a bust and that was in a draft when good rucks were available. Lauren Brazalle and Sophie Casey are fringe players, you can't have more than one playing in that backline.

As for Molloy, she hasn't had the best year, but you need her in the forward line. She's the only one kicking goals. She's still our leading goal scorer playing in the midfield. Jordan Membrey should be on the trade table, has had better years but this one she's been below average. Jamie Lambert is out of contract, maybe see what she's worth considering she isn't getting any younger.

We desperately need a ruck. There will be no top-notch rucks in the draft, we need a good trade and a back up ruck. This has been a complete joke by list management I see way too many gaps that need to be filled.
Our two injuries are both top midfielders, but despite their absence we’re going ok in the middle and it’s the forward line that is struggling most. Do we trade one of Davey, Bonnici, Lambert, Molloy and target a forward? The other option is moving one of those four forward. Molloy and Lambert while dangerous forward are not the marking type we lack. Davey is probably the best mark out of those 4 players, but she’s also the strongest mid albeit Molloy looks to have closed the gap.

Schleicher could be the wildcard as I suspect she gets squeezed out of the midfield even if we were to trade one of the aforementioned four. There’s a difference between marking in defence and having to deal with an opponent as a forward, but could Schleicher be an a forward option? Her long kicking certainly would be handy.

Last edited:

Great summary. Lets back the girls eh?

We are probably where we should be 5th to 7th.
With davey , bonnici added and 1 decent tall forward how far can we jump. I would say we would be in the 4 most likely 3rd or 4th.
With all the expansion and changes that have happened , im comftorble with that as a platform to start improving from.
I worry about Livingston looks very slow at times, may only get another year.
Frederick still not enough urgency or impact for mine, i would rather see Barnett up there given games.
Bit unfare on Chiocci, she has been ok this year, just tappered off lately.
The girls like Schleicher , Malloy, Sheridan will be better next year for the exposure to new positions that the injured players have given them. I think we will win an elimination final and that will be it. Id love more but Im ok with that.

Our two injuries are both top midfielders, but despite their absence we’re going ok in the middle and it’s the forward line that is struggling most. Do we trade one of Davey, Bonnici, Lambert, Molloy and target a forward? The other option is moving one of those four forward. Molloy and Lambert while dangerous forward are not the marking type we lack. Davey is probably the best mark out of those 4 players, but she’s also the strongest mid albeit Molloy looks to have closed the gap.

Schleicher could be the wildcard as I suspect she gets squeezed out of the midfield even if we were to trade one of the aforementioned four. There’s a difference between marking in defence and having to deal with an opponent as a forward, but could Schleicher be an a forward option? Her long kicking certainly would be handy.

Ruby Schliecher was never a midfielder. She was always a defender filling the space. Send her back Ash Brazill can't play forward either. Send both back and end this experiment that has been a failure. Maybe they can turn that defense into a giant slingshot. I don't know why Barber and Moloney are absent. They are the forwards we need. Another thing to consider is the lack of form and the unavailability of the VFLW to get the girls in shape. I have heard of these combined teams for scratch matches, but it seems absurd.

I don't think we should sell the farm just yet. We are just short a few gaps in the lineup. Also, keep in mind the draft. We can only draft women 19 and over in this next draft. The first-round pick will not be worth its number, especially in Sydney.

Last edited:
the free kick against sheridan was a head scratcher

strength conditioning (or lack of it) is a constant theme in all our losses this year ..... adelaide, north and this game (also evident in the tight win against geelong)..... the bigger stronger teams simply out muscle us in the contest

brisbane delivery is sharp, direct and purposeful .... their talls are dominating all over the ground

think its time teams start paying serious attention at whats happening in queensland womens comps .... whatever it is its working

i think they do okay out state based drafting. Not much we can do about that when we’re 1 of 10 teams drawing on the Victorian pool.

Carlton‘s coach is the most unlikely to get re-appointed..
However, Collingwood‘s coach must be under enormous pressure to keep his job. Keeps under achieving with that team and falling away at the important end of the season each year.
Thoughts?

Is he under-achieving? I’d have thought any team missing 2 of their best mids and 1 of their best utilities was always going to struggle against the minor premiers on their deck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually I do watch and I’m quite capable of making a skills assessment of the team, especially in comparison with what is apparent from opposition teams. We have a dysfunctional forward line, a struggling back line due to the sheer number of entries and agreed, an undermanned midfield. Having said that, 2 midfielders do not carry the whole team and that is not the substantive reason for our misfiring season and regression. The AFLW program really needs to have a good hard look at itself this off season and make some tough decisions.

The dysfunctional forward line has always been our issue. Losing players to expansion clubs hasn’t helped that.

I think the defence under siege though is more about Davey and Bonicci missing from our midfield through injury. Has a heap of flow on effects for our forward and defensive performance as well.

Ruby Schliecher was never a midfielder. She was always a defender filling the space. Send her back Ash Brazill can't play forward either. Send both back and end this experiment that has been a failure. Maybe they can turn that defense into a giant slingshot. I don't know why Barber and Moloney are absent. They are the forwards we need. Another thing to consider is the lack of form and the unavailability of the VFLW to get the girls in shape. I have heard of these combined teams for scratch matches, but it seems absurd.

I don't think we should sell the farm just yet. We are just short a few gaps in the lineup. Also, keep in mind the draft. We can only draft women 19 and over in this next draft. The first-round pick will not be worth its number, especially in Sydney.

I think Schliecher can play any position she wants to. Ditto Brazill to a lesser extent. Missing Davey and Bonicci essentially necessitated their move this season though. Can’t replace that level of talent with developing kids.

Last edited:
I think Schliecher can play any position she wants to. Ditto Brazil to a lesser extent. Missing Davey and Bonicci essentially necessitated their move this season though. Can’t replace that level of talent with developing kids.
No we can't, however, we can't have a team structure collapses because one player is injured (Bonnici can be covered Davey cannot). Brazill is nearing the end, so she might as well play in her preferred position. She couldn't even kick a behind running into an open goal. As for Schliecher, it's taken her four season to reach the elite level, why would anybody want to tinker with that considering she has been All Australian twice in defense.

think its time teams start paying serious attention at whats happening in queensland womens comps .... whatever it is its working
The Queensland talent is completely opposite to their male counterpart. The culture of the north has been growing since 2010. There is more than enough Queensland talent to fill two teams. Unfortunately, Brisbane has an unfair advantage due to the zoning rules. Most of the elite talent comes from Brisbane leaving Gold Coast on the outside. The Coast only has two teams in the QAFLW while Brisbane has five, but their zone covers Maroochydore to make six. The rules need to change.

No we can't, however, we can't have a team structure collapses because one player is injured (Bonnici can be covered Davey cannot). Brazill is nearing the end, so she might as well play in her preferred position. She couldn't even kick a behind running into an open goal. As for Schliecher, it's taken her four season to reach the elite level, why would anybody want to tinker with that considering she has been All Australian twice in defense.

Happy for you to think that. I’ll leave it there.

As for Schliecher, it's taken her four season to reach the elite level, why would anybody want to tinker with that considering she has been All Australian twice in defense.
Seemingly the coaching group did in ‘22b. Schleicher also mentioned something about midfield being the natural progression in her career. That may well have been backing up the coaching move though. Think we need to be bold and try something different plus the forward line is more problematic than defence.

Seemingly the coaching group did in ‘22b. Schleicher also mentioned something about midfield being the natural progression in her career. That may well have been backing up the coaching move though. Think we need to be bold and try something different plus the forward line is more problematic than defence.
How about we actually try using pure forwards for a change? And I take that shot at the coaching group because Abbi Moloney is yet to play all season while Olivia Barber could be a force up forward. All Australian as an under-ager and way too good for VFLW level. The defense is a problem because we are way too short against players like Wardlaw, Randall, Harris etc. We need the height to return.

The one good thing to come out of that Brisbane loss was Imogen Barnett. Despite being only 176cm the woman has a massive jump. She actually won the hit-out count against Tahlia Hickey in the ruck. She could be the answer to a problem we've been having for the past two seasons.

Think we need to be bold and try something different plus the forward line is more problematic than defence.
I agree with you, all year we get the ball in our forward 50 and can't score.

I can't recall when we last or ever kicked a 'bag'.

I like Braz forward, leads up well and straightens us up.

Agree Barber is the preferred number one for mine though and I don’t understand why she isn’t being played.

Moloney I’d persist with for one more season but a bit disappointed with what she’s produced when playing seniors. Was given a shot round one, didn’t do a lot and the concussion seems to have stamped her papers a little.

I like Braz forward, leads up well and straightens us up.

Agree Barber is the preferred number one for mine though and I don’t understand why she isn’t being played.

Moloney I’d persist with for one more season but a bit disappointed with what she’s produced when playing seniors. Was given a shot round one, didn’t do a lot and the concussion seems to have stamped her papers a little.
s**t, she did get a concussion in Round 1. That being said she hasn't had a chance to rectify her performance while other fringe players have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back