Autopsy Round 1 v Melbourne Friday Sept 1 at 7.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Some thoughts for the trip home.

First, great attendance. They were reporting on the news 6 to 7k which isna great result considering they are now charging for entry. First time that dump actually had some atmosphere and ironically Carlton wasn't involved.

You can see why they won the flag last year. A well drilled team. We're lucky they didn't kick straight.

You could tell we were missing Butler and Schleicer in defence. Fell away badly while I was in the beer line during the 3rd quarter.

This will sound harsh. But if Jack Darling is one of the biggest frauds in the mens game, then surely Frederick is in the women's game. Just can't understand how she has lasted so long with her lack of mobility.

On the other side though, liked the games of Davey, Bonicci, Brown, Cann and Allen.

Under Symons we’ve made finals every year, that’s from 2020. We’ve been a good side, but never good enough. Disappointing result tonight, where we were absolutely outplayed and dominated by Melbourne after half time, does not auger well for our chances this year.

On the plus side, we had a bunch of new girls, and they will take their time to gell with the team. Some good performances there - I liked Morris-Dalton’s first game for us. Also saw more of the old Tarni Brown. Davey already noted to have been fantastic, but she can’t carry us like that every week.

And a massive sore point - the club’s proud history of refusing to draft/recruit tall forwards seems to also apply to the girls. Their tall forwards killed us.😡

First, great attendance. They were reporting on the news 6 to 7k which isna great result considering they are now charging for entry. First time that dump actually had some atmosphere and ironically Carlton wasn't involved.

You can see why they won the flag last year. A well drilled team. We're lucky they didn't kick straight.

You could tell we were missing Butler and Schleicer in defence. Fell away badly while I was in the beer line during the 3rd quarter.

This will sound harsh. But if Jack Darling is one of the biggest frauds in the mens game, then surely Frederick is in the women's game. Just can't understand how she has lasted so long with her lack of mobility.

On the other side though, liked the games of Davey, Bonicci, Brown, Cann and Allen.

The team needs to go past players like Livingstone and Frederick. I admire both of them for what they've done for the women's game and the culture they're helping to build at our club, but the game has well and truly passed them by, particularly with the young, athletic and skilled players now coming into the competition.
Both of them have very limited aerobic capacity, and look so slow that they appear to be running on the spot.
We are in need of finding players to come in and replace these types, because we are not going to be contending until we do.....

Under Symons we’ve made finals every year, that’s from 2020. We’ve been a good side, but never good enough. Disappointing result tonight, where we were absolutely outplayed and dominated by Melbourne after half time, does not auger well for our chances this year.

On the plus side, we had a bunch of new girls, and they will take their time to gell with the team. Some good performances there - I liked Morris-Dalton’s first game for us. Also saw more of the old Tarni Brown. Davey already noted to have been fantastic, but she can’t carry us like that every week.

And a massive sore point - the club’s proud history of refusing to draft/recruit tall forwards seems to also apply to the girls. Their tall forwards killed us.😡

Evidently that article in the Herald sun said that Jeff is changing the club's constitution to ensure that recruiters will never draft a tall forward in any competition....even the wheelchairs

The team needs to go past players like Livingstone and Frederick. I admire both of them for what they've done for the women's game and the culture they're helping to build at our club, but the game has well and truly passed them by, particularly with the young, athletic and skilled players now coming into the competition.
Both of them have very limited aerobic capacity, and look so slow that they appear to be running on the spot.
We are in need of finding players to come in and replace these types, because we are not going to be contending until we do.....
I agree re Frederick. As for Livingston she does better in a congested forward line where she can push and shove, in space she struggles as she has lost her speed and leap. She looks better when we have the interceptors like Ruby and Butler in front of her. It helps keep her direct opponent close to the goal square.
But I agree the clock is well Nd truly ticking for her.
A lot of iffs, but ruby and Lauren play tonight swap Frederick for Barnett and malloy and lambert in we probably go close tonight. Melbourne , premiers at full strength and lost no one off season.

While the 2nd half was poor, especially from a defending pov -- we were missing two of our best defenders; but think there was a lot to like in a new look line up.
The first half, the ball movement was slick, quick and really proactive.
Bri Davey back in this side makes a massive difference. Brit was good as well.

I feel like we need to get another key defender, Livingstone, as good as she's been for us; is getting on and she doesn't have the pace to go with certain key talls off the mark.
We need to invest in a ruck as well.

But the new recruits, there was a lot to like

Dees were very good. Their marking and inside 50 kicking was elite. Hard to stop. Also have had a steady team, had 19 premiership players out there, while we lost some key players (for the long term benefit, it'll work) but we had multiple new players, so more time playing together will help.

Was at the game tonight, had a ripper of a time despite the result.

It felt like Bri got two years worth of pent up footy agression out, what a game from her.

Brit was solid in her return, and Cann showed she’s primed for a breakout. Having those three as our big mids will be crucial.

Eleri Morris was good, had some chances but just wasn’t able to convert.

Morris-Dalton was a good get I feel. Also had a lot of opportunities. I was also sitting in front of her fan club, some who looked like her mum cheering her on everytime she got the ball haha

Baffled why we didn’t get a proper ruck in the trade period. Sabrina tried her hardest but it didint work

The Tarni’s were good, Campbell was involved early but quiet after that

It’s the same thing every season, at every level at Collingwood. We bring in ok players who are versatile and don’t draft tall key position players. Seriously wtf is wrong with the recruiting staff? Then they get Sab a few years ago who’s had as many kicks in her career as BRI did tonight. How does she get a game. It’ll be the same this season as last, beat the sides below us get beaten by the top teams and lose week one of finals then lose another good player in the post season to Sydney or some other team.

We have a habit of recruiting players who played one good game in their life. Mo Hope, that was a disaster and Sabrina, I think she kicked 5 once for Brisbane and has made a career out of it.

Last edited:
It’s the same thing every season, at every level at Collingwood. We bring in ok players who are versatile and don’t draft tall key position players. Seriously wtf is wrong with the recruiting staff? Then they get Sab a few years ago who’s had as many kicks in her career as BRI did tonight. How does she get a game. It’ll be the same this season as last, beat the sides below us get beaten by the top teams and lose week one of finals then lose another good player in the post season to Sydney or some other team.

Well we lost 4 players from last season. While Melbourne lost none. How didn't any other teams raid Melbourne.

Well we lost 4 players from last season. While Melbourne lost none. How didn't any other teams raid Melbourne.
Players are often more loyal when they’ve had success. For AFLW the low and middle range teams are repeatedly raided and the top teams are less affected.

If the AFL wanted to redistribute talent they needed to go all in and do so equally. x amount of players retained and everyone else reshuffled type of thing. Ditto for previous seasons.

It would have hurt fan support, but the constant poaching has anyway.

Melbourne’s investment in their AFLW team has reaped rewards. They took the girls competition seriously from the beginning, and their development has been top shelf. Last night they looked taller, faster, more skilled, like modern footballers. While we still have some of the pioneers of 2017, who are ageing and tiring.

I know we were missing a few of our best - injured or traded - but we also looked so typically Collingwood, hard at it and blue collar.

And another thing - where did all these Melbourne supporters suddenly come from? Must have remembered who they barracked for after winning a flag? We were outnumbered there too last night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WHOA!! ... what happened!?!? I had to turn it off at half time, only to see the blow out scores.

Not having Ruby and Butler, who both aren't just Grade A defenders, are probably in the top 5 in our side of longest consistent kicks, and are both in our leadership group. Massive hole.

How awesome to have Bri and Brit back. Got more of a crush on them now. Morris-Dalton has a good look to her with a nice leg. I'm over the moon to have Braz back but my personal feeling is that she should be in the mid field not in the forward line. I know she's needed for her speed, attack on the ball, body work and boot which we lack in the FWD line .... but can you imagine having Bri, Brit and Braz in the mids just winning the ball each time WHEN we don't even have a ruck.

Re: Frederick = meh, Déjà vu

A left field positive. How good it is to see 5 Pages so far of posts for an AFLW game. Nice going BFer's!!! 👍

Sab can’t get off the ground. The fact that she gets a game whilst effectively being unable to run and jump shows you that whilst the game has came far in 8 seasons, AFLW still needs much more time for the development and talent pathways for the girls. Expanding the number of clubs to the full 18 has hurt this too. We need more quality players and can’t effectively lengthen a season until more talented players are available.
Hopefully we will look back at these seasons in another 10 years and it will be like looking back on the VFL/AFL in the 80/90’s, and we’re thinking “Wow we’ve come a long way”
Not discrediting how far it’s come already, by any means, it’s a great start.

*EDIT
Sorry for going off topic, I’m passionate about AFLW athletes being able to be FT professionals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

We have a habit of recruiting players who played one good game in their life. Mo Hope, that was a disaster and Sabrina, I think she kicked 5 once for Brisbane and has made a career out of it.
I think with Mo Hope it was the classic case of dominate at a lower level, then get found out in AFLW when the fitness demands increase. I think she was in love with the dream but not necessarily the reality of being an AFLW player.

collingwood hat removed - another clear uptick in game quality (continuing advances made in past seasons) ... stoppage work and transition running very impressive ... handball chains around the contest also vastly improved ....... all up an enjoyable game and a good sign for the competition ahead

collingwood hat back on .... agree with comments on frederick (that opening grab did lift the spirits - it was a false dawn) ...... livingston clearly beaten (was hard to watch actually - shes been a great contributor to a backline setup that has been this sides strength since day 1 - maybe the absence of ruby and butler hurt her game) ...... and at the risk of incurring the wrath of some - i just dont get the plaudits for tarni brown - average disposal at best ...... and continually makes bizarre decisions with ball in hand (still laugh thinking about the time she kicked the ball the wrong way a few seasons back)

(still laugh thinking about the time she kicked the ball the wrong way a few seasons back)
Are you sure you're thinking of Tarni Brown? The only one I remember was Bonnici beautifully spinning out of a tackle at the centre bounce and sending it into the forward pocket of the other team (Melbourne, oddly enough, in 2019: 1.30 remaining in Q2).

Are you sure you're thinking of Tarni Brown? The only one I remember was Bonnici beautifully spinning out of a tackle at the centre bounce and sending it into the forward pocket of the other team (Melbourne, oddly enough, in 2019: 1.30 remaining in Q2).
Yeah it was at vic park. Maybe against north? She ran the wrong way and kicked into the opposition goals, thankfully wasn't a goal lol but was a brain fade. It was funny.

I'm not sure Frederick is a fraud, as you would think the club obviously hasn't had the tough conversation with her after last season.
I thought surely the club would’ve told her that they believe she is struggling with the pace and athleticism of the current game and that the club would’ve retired her off, and l believe she would be a fantastic person to have around the club, so l thought the club would have retained her in an off field role. I was surprised she actually played on after her performance in season 7.
Surely there is a young athletic ruck in the VFLW, or the women's competitions around Australia, that we could’ve given an opportunity to, or even played with a hybrid ruck, like putting a Dalton in there.
I feel sorry watching Frederick running around because she is trying and willing herself but the game has totally changed from the early seasons of the competition and now she just can't compete the way she used too.

...... livingston clearly beaten (was hard to watch actually - shes been a great contributor to a backline setup that has been this sides strength since day 1 - maybe the absence of ruby and butler hurt her game) ......
100% IMO it hurt her game. It's not the first time Livingston has had a bad day at the office, only to turn it around and then people start singing her praises in what a vital full back cog she is! Get Ruby and Butler back, and she'll be right. I'm a big fan.

i just dont get the plaudits for tarni brown - average disposal at best ...... and continually makes bizarre decisions with ball in hand (still laugh thinking about the time she kicked the ball the wrong way a few seasons back)
Yeah that was funny when she kicked the wrong way. I've done it when I stayed on the same side wing in different quarters. I personally find it tough watching her too due to her kicking and dicisions like you mention. She' still young though and the opportunity to develop. Tarni no doubt has a natural ability to find the pill, put the head over the ball and just compete all day. Those a really, really good building blocks. And you can see this season her body has a football matured too somewhat ... so give her time and fingers crossed. Just more focus on basic kicking for starters please.

Good to read some balanced views on here re players and state of the game, it is on the up and while we didn't get the W, I really enjoyed the game.
Sick of reading rubbish from the trolls on different threads trying to drag the product down. Most of them wouldn't know the subtle rule changes or differences between AFL and AFLW or the build history of the comp itself.
Go Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back