Autopsy Round 1 v Melbourne Friday Sept 1 at 7.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back to Ikon Park for this one playing last years Premiers. Will be a great test with two of our favourite stars back, midfielders Brit Bonnici and skipper Bri Davey from torn ACLs, although Davey has been sidelined in recent weeks by a minor hamstring injury.

Apparently this will be on radio (ABC, SEN, 3AW, MMM, 6PR, 5AA, 3WBC, Casey Radio and WARF Radio) as well.

Watch on:
2023-08-28_151211.jpg

Yuk Melbourne to unfurl their flag?

Last edited:
Back to Ikon Park for this one playing last years Premiers. Will be a great test with two of our favourite stars back, midfielders Brit Bonnici and skipper Bri Davey from torn ACLs, although Davey has been sidelined in recent weeks by a minor hamstring injury.

Apparently this will be on radio (ABC, SEN, 3AW, MMM, 6PR, 5AA, 3WBC, Casey Radio and WARF Radio) as well.

Watch on:
View attachment 1788300

Yuk Melbourne to unfurl their flag?
Ftr you've probably got the broadcast guide set to default (ACT - Canberra) there. It'll be on Seven's main channel in Victoria.

The AFL is pleased to announce five-time chart topper and nine-time ARIA Award winning singer-songwriter Missy Higgins will perform in the pre-match entertainment at the opening game of the 2023 NAB AFLW Season on Friday September 1.

AFL Executive General Manager Customer and Commercial Kylie Rogers said the league was delighted to have Missy Higgins perform as part of its Round One festivities.

"The AFL is thrilled to have one of the country's much-loved artists perform at the highly anticipated clash between Melbourne and Collingwood to celebrate the start of the 2023 NAB AFLW Season," Rogers said.

"Fans can walk up to the gates and secure their tickets on the day, with $10 general admission tickets for adults and FREE entry for kids under 18.

"With great entertainment, affordable entry and a host of activities on offer, there's no better time for fans of all ages to come along and experience the best of women's football for Round One of the 2023 NAB AFLW Season."

In addition to the pre-match performance, fans can enjoy a host of activities at IKON Park, including a meet and greets with club mascots, food trucks, giveaways and the unfurling of the 2022 NAB AFLW Premiership flag in a pre-match ceremony.

Captain Brianna Davey is expected to be available for the clash despite a hamstring complaint that has followed her throughout preseason. Both Davey and vice-captain Ruby Schleicher (foot) will play provided they get through Wednesday’s main training.

Forward Imogen Barnett will also be tested on Wednesday after a finger injury and will be available for selection if she gets through unscathed.

Defender Joanna Lin will be unavailable for two to four weeks as she manages a foot complaint and will be reassessed over the coming weeks.

Lauren Butler is experiencing ongoing foot soreness and played on reduced minutes during the Pies’ practice match with Fremantle. Her timeline is currently unclear and will be further updated following Wednesday’s training.

Young midfielder Charlotte Taylor will be unavailable for at least six to 10 weeks as she continues rehab on her knee. The Club hopes she will become available in the backend of the season.

Ouch. These injuries or injury clouds on the verge of the season are not good. And to critical players too, e.g. Davey. I didn’t know she’d been carrying a hamstring ‘complaint’ throughout the pre-season. She missed all of the games we had in the two 2022 seasons, save for the opening round of the first season (in that ridiculous mismanagement of the AFLW). We can’t afford to have her miss more in 2023.

Ouch. These injuries or injury clouds on the verge of the season are not good. And to critical players too, e.g. Davey. I didn’t know she’d been carrying a hamstring ‘complaint’ throughout the pre-season. She missed all of the games we had in the two 2022 seasons, save for the opening round of the first season (in that ridiculous mismanagement of the AFLW). We can’t afford to have her miss more in 2023.
Ruby said Bri was right to go, think it was very minor that they just didn't wasnt to risk her in some meaningless pre-season games.

Really happy to see the girls again, cant wait.

But...

This is season eight and we have never, not once, played the first round at our home ground, Vic Park. Where's the fairness and integrity in that, the so-called level playing field?

But...

This is season eight and we have never, not once, played the first round at our home ground, Vic Park. Where's the fairness and integrity in that, the so-called level playing field?
Plus Ikon is a pain in the backside to get to. Vic Park’s ease of access is awesome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Missing butler and schleicher in same game very unsettling to the side as they have been mainstays. Ash Braz to drop into defence to replace their drive if I was coach.
But I'm more concerned about where the goals will come from. Good to see some faces in the side too. Go pies

But...

I was born in 93 so the suburban grounds are before my time as AFL venues. However, going to AFLW, VFL and VFLW has seen me go.to most of these venues and I can confidently say Ikon Park is a hole. The fact it's Carlton's home aside, for the amount of money poured into it, it.just looks.so run down, especially the Gardiner and Players Stand.

In fairness, I believe tonight is a Melbourne home ground. I will say I prefer it being held there rather than out at Casey Fields.

I was born in 93 so the suburban grounds are before my time as AFL venues. However, going to AFLW, VFL and VFLW has seen me go.to most of these venues and I can confidently say Ikon Park is a hole. The fact it's Carlton's home aside, for the amount of money poured into it, it.just looks.so run down, especially the Gardiner and Players Stand.

In fairness, I believe tonight is a Melbourne home ground. I will say I prefer it being held there rather than out at Casey Fields.
It's like they built a stadium on top of a cow paddock.

I went to Ikon for the Blues v Pies praccy and I have to agfree that it did still have that run down feeling

From AFLW site:

The Demons and the Pies will meet for the first time in 916 days, having last played in round five, 2021 which saw the latter run away 35-point victors. Significant change has happened since, however, with Melbourne winning 27 of 31 games, including its last nine and the flag, while the Pies have won 17 of 29. In their five matches to date, the Demons have won three and Collingwood two.

Returning players will feature heavily in this one. Magpie pair Bri Davey and Brit Bonnici are on the comeback trail from respective ACL injuries, and Melbourne winger Eliza McNamara will return from a devastating back injury that saw her miss all of season seven. Davey, who is still dealing with some minor hamstring discomfort, may end up spending more time in attack than we have become accustomed to, but her impact will still be felt, while McNamara and Bonnici's running capacity will be a welcome addition for their respective sides.

2023-09-01_094655.jpg

Missing butler and schleicher in same game very unsettling to the side as they have been mainstays. Ash Braz to drop into defence to replace their drive if I was coach.
But I'm more concerned about where the goals will come from. Good to see some faces in the side too. Go pies

We’ve struggled to kick goals from day dot, and now no Molloy either. It’s a major concern. Will be very interested to see what changes we’ve made to address the issue.

We’ve struggled to kick goals from day dot, and now no Molloy either. It’s a major concern. Will be very interested to see what changes we’ve made to address the issue.
Would love to see James step up as she’s perfectly capable of kicking bags as we saw in that final. NMD as some tall timber helps and interested to see how Morris goes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back