AFLW Rnd 4 - Carlton v Richmond Gameday

Remove this Banner Ad

This.
Did we fire our skills coach in Covid or something? Seriously what on earth has happened to our disposal this year.
Not sure, a little baffling just thought we would be at a better level this season than what we have shown so far, other clubs that i have noticed have advanced from last year...
Got some great young talent coming through which are showing some great signs, i think personally we lack on all lines is more speed, a little natural flair and skill particularly forward of the ball, some dangerous goal kickers...
See how we end up finishing out the year, hopefully we can improve some more like we did last year as the season rolled on...

Yep. Classy.

I almost got into a fight at the game with some Richmond member. I haven't been in a dust up for 20years and I've never started one. Idjit just kept going on and on because I informed him he was in my seat.

It was funny how riled up he got when I just ignored him. By the time he'd started swearing about my mother and going in with the racial slurs, I'd had enough. Luckily other people in the crowd started having a go at him and he and his brothers (never alone these types) moved on. Not before informing me they'd wait for me outside. Mind you, these blokes would have been pushing fifty.

Anyway. We won. Yay.

I think I was sitting behind you, royal parade end of the legends stand on the wing?

You were 100% in the right, asked him to move seats as he was in yours and you wanted to sit next to your family(I figure?)

He was an older bloke in the tigers hat and his mate was in a white shirt and missing a couple of teeth.

While he was going off at you I asked him how old he was because he was acting like a 6 year old. His mate retorted that I must be twelve then, which means I'm acting more my age than he was...

Tigers fans huh, wasn't even watching the game for the final few minutes of the quarter, just had his back to the game and was abusing you.

Nice power move to put your arms out and enjoy the new space you had, cheeky.

They ran off as soon as the old ladies sitting behind you got the attention of security from the next bay over.

I moved at half time as the sun was too hot anyway.

Last edited:
As far as skill and game style we have gone backwards on last year, played a far better, quicker more attacking brand of footy last season... our skills, method, awareness and run are very ordinary unfortunately...
Dalton, Walker and S.Hosking missing. They were our speed queens, and very effective by the end of the season. Missing them badly.

I think I was sitting behind you, western end of the legends stand on the wing?

You were 100% in the right, asked him to move seats as he was in yours and you wanted to sit next to your family(I figure)

He was an older bloke and his mate was in a white shirt and missing a couple of teeth.

While he was going off at you I asked him how old he was because he was acting like a 6 year old. His mate retorted that I must be twelve then, which means I'm acting more my age than he was...

Tigers fans huh, wasn't even watching the game for the final few minutes of the quarter, just looking back at you.

They ran off as soon as the old ladies sitting behind you got the security guards attention.

Yeah that was the part that pulled my attention back from the game. So glad both of you stood up to them - as katmanblue rightfully said, this kind of behaviour has no place in any sport, particularly one so family friendly. (Did notice after that Security did a few laps past during the game, so felt much safer after that)

Sadly the feral fans (irrespective of teams) were going to find their way to AFLW games eventually.

I think I was sitting behind you, royal parade end of the legends stand on the wing?

You were 100% in the right, asked him to move seats as he was in yours and you wanted to sit next to your family(I figure?)

He was an older bloke in the tigers hat and his mate was in a white shirt and missing a couple of teeth.

Tigers fans huh, wasn't even watching the game for the final few minutes of the quarter, just had his back to the game and was abusing you.

Nice power move to put your arms out and enjoy the new space you had, cheeky.

They ran off as soon as the old ladies sitting behind you got the attention of security from the next bay over.

Well, nice to (sort of) meet you.

Haha, it was bloody frustrating.

Good thing I have mellowed out. I used to have a temper. Could have ended badly for all involved.

Have to say it was a little difficult to bite my tongue, though I managed.

Now, these situations just seem funny, especially in hindsight.

Hello fellow librarian! Not footy related but reminds me of one of my favourite work memories when the students had to tell us librarians to be quiet cause we were making too much noise. Good times.

Yay Librarians.
I remember once in 2nd year at Uni we'd all been to the uni bar for lunch and rocked up pissed to a lecture. After one of my classmates passed out on her desk we were told that we were to rowdy to teach that day and to get out.

We all rocked up with rowdy librarian tshirts for the following week's lecture.

Well, nice to (sort of) meet you.

Haha, it was bloody frustrating.

Good thing I have mellowed out. I used to have a temper. Could have ended badly for all involved.

Have to say it was a little difficult to bite my tongue, though I managed.

Now, these situations just seem funny, especially in hindsight.
I'm sort of annoyed he moved at quarter time. If only he had stayed there a few minutes and we started kicking goals hah.

Then again, it is good to have the older blokes coming to the AFLW, even the feral ones. Sort of legetimises things for the aflw crowd, if they didn't go over the top and be utter dickheads.

Said it before and I'll say it again, the key to unlocking women's footy's true potential is focusing on a more handball orientated game. More run and carry and short accurate kicks. Trying to get handballs out to runners, generating more run from behind the stoppages, creating overlap with forward handballs and using short accurate kicks to players leading up at the ball carrier.

Yep there are going to be some mistakes made and some skill errors but we have to wear that as trying to kick it long too often just doesn't work and is horrible to watch.

Some of the passages of play where we handballed, ran with the ball and kicked it short to leads was great. Trying to kick it long rarely works in the game and I think we are going to see the better sides handballing, running and kicking short and accurate more. We are certainly improving and going in this direction and in years to come when the quality has lifted this is how it will be played and it will be good to watch.

We did this really well against St Kilda last week. It was beautiful to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dalton, Walker and S.Hosking missing. They were our speed queens, and very effective by the end of the season. Missing them badly.
Missing them big time...
Speed and run yes, Dalton and Walker created some really nice passages of play with wonderful run and great overlapping, both were dangerous when we were on the attack running into open space forward of the ball, good defensive pressure too... As far as skill/disposal goes i wouldn’t class them as highly skilled but both are code crossers that possess good enough skills atm that with more games under their belts could really improve that part of their games big time...

Sorry Blues but, how do you “manage” Loynes in a 9 game season when the women have been waiting for this level of exposure for years. I would have thought they would want to be out there at every opportunity.
Warrior, love the way she plays the attack at the contest is sensational but imo her output has over the last year or two not been at the level of her previous years, now that’s more likely because of (a) her age and banged up body can’t consistently do what she once could do and (b) the competition has become so much better a whole 5 years on which has brought her and others back too the pack...
Wouldn’t surprise me depending on circumstances if Loynes was rested again if her body wasn’t coping with the speed and rigours of the game...

Last edited:
I'm sort of annoyed he moved at quarter time. If only he had stayed there a few minutes and we started kicking goals hah.

Then again, it is good to have the older blokes coming to the AFLW, even the feral ones. Sort of legetimises things for the aflw crowd, if they didn't go over the top and be utter dickheads.
They were hanging out at the bottom of the stairs sticking their heads up and hurling abuse periodically. Came back and sat a few row behind me for the last quarter.

Last edited:
Missing them big time...
Speed and run yes, Dalton and Walker created some really nice passages of play with wonderful run and great overlapping, both were dangerous when we were on the attack running into open space forward of the ball, good defensive pressure too... As far as skill/disposal goes i wouldn’t class them as highly skilled but both are code crossers that possess good enough skills atm that with more games under their belts could really improve that part of their games big time...
They were much improved over the course of the season but still prone to the odd clanger.

Warrior, love the way she plays the attack at the contest is sensational but imo her output has over the last year or two not been at the level of her previous years, now that’s more likely because of (a) her age and banged up body can’t consistently do what she once could do and (b) the competition has become so much better a whole 5 years on which has brought her and others back too the pack...
Wouldn’t surprise me depending on circumstances if Loynes was rested again if her body wasn’t coping with the speed and rigours of the game...
Hard as a car's head, but she seems to have lost a step this year.

Edit: *cat's

Shout out to Tayla . Not big on the stats but an important tough make them earn it game . Important in the moments. Down the line body pressure . Don’t have to mark everything. This mindset contributed hugely and brought others into . Great hard fought win Carlton.
Be great if we could find another tall marking option to chop her out, help take the pressure off her, we really need another genuine tall forward...

I was really pissed that we let Bianca Jacobson go. Had great hands on the lead. Carlton supporter growing up. Bled blue.
Terrific player... courageous wonderful mark reads the ball in the air nicely and good skills, can play both ends....
Not sure we wanted to let her go the AFL made her part of the Taylor Harris trade from memory...

Terrific player... courageous wonderful mark reads the ball in the air nicely and good skills, can play both ends....
Not sure we wanted to let her go the AFL made her part of the Taylor Harris trade from memory...

True Jakobsson was not the best player to lose, but conversely we got pick 12 from the Dees for her - which we used to select one Georgia Gee. So swings and roundabouts.

Serena Gibbs looking like she might be a decent tall option up forward when she gets a chance. Can chop out in the ruck as well. Kicked a few snags in the praccy against the Saints, would love to see her get an opportunity at some stage.

True Jakobsson was not the best player to lose, but conversely we got pick 12 from the Dees for her - which we used to select one Georgia Gee. So swings and roundabouts.

Serena Gibbs looking like she might be a decent tall option up forward when she gets a chance. Can chop out in the ruck as well. Kicked a few snags in the praccy against the Saints, would love to see her get an opportunity at some stage.
Cheers GB... thought she was part of the Taylor trade, Gee was a terrific little pickup at 12 who has a great ceiling, even though was pretty disappointed at the time loosing Jacobsson she was in the top couple of players i really liked the look of at the time...
Seen the small glimpse of Gibbs in that highlights package a few weeks ago, just looked her up Eastern Ranges girl 187cm pick 44 in the 2019 draft kicked 11 goals playing forward and ruck, would be fantastic if Gibbs could develop into that 2nd tall forward...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back