Women's Footy AFLW Season Seven

Remove this Banner Ad

nothing was stopping her from walking back to Freo and saying, "the pay now works for my job/life balance, take me at your final pick"

That's a possible conversation but the driving factor to bring her back being money only starts that discussion. Freo is entitled to suggest that she needs to meet conditioning standards and she isn't there. I personally think a team could make it work but I also understand that she will be a liability on the other side of the football.

If Melbourne said that the money is good to go and we don't care how you walk in the door, why shouldn't she jump at that?

What actually happened

This time last year, Coops essentially said to Duffy: "we need you to put in more hours away from the club to improve your fitness".
Response: "Can't commit to that, busy with work."
"Then we can't commit to you as a best 21 selection."
"In that case I'll step away from football entirely. Juggling training with work isn't worth it if I'm not getting a game."
"Ok we'll put you on the inactive list. Let us know if you change your mind about getting fitter."

Then at the end of last season: "Are you ready to put in more time away from the club to improve your fitness?"
"Can't guarantee it."
"Then we can't offer you a contract for next season, sorry."

Delisting is then announced. Melbourne approach, offering to sign her as a delisted free agent. Her response: "West Coast have said they might have a spot for me, I want to explore my options here first."
"Ok, if they don't sign you now or take you at the draft, are you willing to sign with us as an undrafted free agent?"
"Yes."

What actually happened

This time last year, Coops essentially said to Duffy: "we need you to put in more hours away from the club to improve your fitness".
"In that case I'll step away from football entirely. Juggling training with work isn't worth it if I'm not getting a game."
"Ok we'll put you on the inactive list. Let us know if you change your mind about getting fitter."

Then at the end of last season: "Are you ready to put in more time away from the club to improve your fitness?"
"Can't guarantee it."

Delisting is then announced. Melbourne approach, offering to sign her as a delisted free agent. Her response: "West Coast have said they might have a spot for me, I want to explore my options here first."
"Ok, if they don't sign you now or take you at the draft, are you willing to sign with us as an undrafted free agent?"
"Yes."
According to interview at the time, Duffy actually told the club she couldn’t commit to normal training hours because of shift work and was going to be unavailable for multiple games due to having to work weekends in her role as a prison officer.
She played for Peel in the second half of the year but missed games due to work.
Apparently she told Freo her work position hasn’t changed so either that was a lie, or more likely, she had a realisation that footy was more important to her than her work and changed her mind after being delisted.

Duffy actually told the club she couldn’t commit to normal training hours because of shift work
I covered that part. It occurred after she was told she's no longer best 21. ("In that case I'll step away from football entirely. Juggling training with work isn't worth it if I'm not getting a game.")

Apparently she told Freo her work position hasn’t changed so either that was a lie, or more likely, she had a realisation that footy was more important to her than her work and changed her mind after being delisted.
Neither her commitment to work nor to football changed immediately after being delisted. What changed was that a club came along promising her a game each week, regardless of her fitness.

Ok
I covered that part. It occurred after she was told she's no longer best 21. ("In that case I'll step away from football entirely. Juggling training with work isn't worth it if I'm not getting a game.")

Neither her commitment to work nor to football changed immediately after being delisted. What changed was that a club came along promising her a game each week, regardless of her fitness.
Ok, so when you said what actually happened (underlined), were you guessing what happened or do you actually know?

Think a little.

If she moves to Melbourne city, she isn't working for WA Corrects.

Ok, so when you said what actually happened (underlined), were you guessing what happened or do you actually know?
I wasn't in the room (or on the phone, in some cases) when those conversations happened, but I'm not guessing.

Think a little.

If she moves to Melbourne city, she isn't working for WA Corrects.
Doesn't matter where she's working. She lost interest in meeting the expectations of AFLW--which she was entirely honest about (could've easily conned Fremantle into giving her another contract)--until a club lowered their expectations of her.

I can’t dispute any of these facts (at this stage) but if it is true, it’s a dangerous game Melbourne re playing guaranteeing anyone a game.

What actually happened

"Can't guarantee it."

"Yes."
So is she going to be living here and working and then only flying over to Melbourne for games?

otherwise your whole scenario falls apart tbh

"can't commit, busy with work" yeah okay then how is she going to commit to flights to and from Melbourne? either that or she has left the job and will work in Melbourne

its a nice story but it doesn't align with reality

So is she going to be living here and working and then only flying over to Melbourne for games?

otherwise your whole scenario falls apart tbh

"can't commit, busy with work" yeah okay then how is she going to commit to flights to and from Melbourne? either that or she has left the job and will work in Melbourne

its a nice story but it doesn't align with reality
Not for me to say where she's working or living. Duffy made it clear (to all the clubs she talked to) what she was/n't willing to do, and never changed or misrepresented the level of commitment she was willing to make.

What doesn't align with reality is "must be draft tampering" when she could've just directly signed with Melbourne before the draft.

I wasn't in the room (or on the phone, in some cases) when those conversations happened, but I'm not guessing.

Doesn't matter where she's working. She lost interest in meeting the expectations of AFLW--which she was entirely honest about (could've easily conned Fremantle into giving her another contract)--until a club lowered their expectations of her.
This is the problem with you, you don't try to understand another point of view.

She couldn't commit to do extra training due to work commitments. That's fair enough.

Why couldn't she quit her job or reduce hours to spend time increasing her fitness?

By moving interstate, she has already done that.

Get off our board.

Not for me to say where she's working or living. Duffy made it clear (to all the clubs she talked to) what she was/n't willing to do, and never changed or misrepresented the level of commitment she was willing to make.

What doesn't align with reality is "must be draft tampering" when she could've just directly signed with Melbourne before the draft.
She isn't working for WA Corrections anymore because she lives in another state.

Not too hard to figure that out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why couldn't she quit her job or reduce hours to spend time increasing her fitness?

By moving interstate, she has already done that.
False. She has not made a commitment to spend extra time working on her fitness, nor have Melbourne made that a condition of her selection.

This is the problem with you, you don't try to understand another point of view.
I'm talking about the facts of what actually happened, not dealing in point of views.

False. She has not made a commitment to spend extra time working on her fitness, nor have Melbourne made that a condition of her selection.
She has made a commitment to be over there and not here at her work as was the initial issue though right?

Story doesn't line up, it still reeks of tampering

She has made a commitment to be over there and not here at her work as was the initial issue though right?
No, the issue was some of the demands of being an AFLW player for Fremantle, i.e. putting in extra unpaid hours to improve her fitness. Clearly there are other things she'd rather be doing instead of that, which is exactly what she told the club.

Clearly there are other things she'd rather be doing instead of that, which is exactly what she told the club.
I thought the other things were work?
What actually happened

Just quoting your original story to show how its no longer lining up

So now is this what actually happened? because work doesn't seem to be a problem with joining Melbourne? Starting to think this isn't "What actually happened"

it's a nice story but gets picked apart when compared to the current facts

I'll also add that the story doesn't align with Duffy saying at a post game function with Peel that "AFLW just isn't right for her" as has been mentioned on this board before

It sounds like a neat bit of revisionism to try and make it not look so bad on Duffy seeing as she essentially screwed the club

I thought the other things were work?
Just quoting your original story to show how its no longer lining up

So now is this what actually happened? because work doesn't seem to be a problem with joining Melbourne? Starting to think this isn't "What actually happened"

it's a nice story but gets picked apart when compared to the current facts
I'm not sure what you're having trouble with. Instead of spending extra unpaid time getting her fitness to a certain level, she wants to do other things (paid work being one of those things). Melbourne were happy for her to do that, Fremantle weren't.

I'll also add that the story doesn't align with Duffy saying at a post game function with Peel that "AFLW just isn't right for her" as has been mentioned on this board before
It aligns perfectly. She was talking about how she felt she couldn't meet some of the typical demands of AFLW players, then Melbourne approached her days later without those demands.

I'm not sure what you're having trouble with. Instead of spending extra unpaid time getting her fitness to a certain level, she wants to do other things (paid work being one of those things). Melbourne were happy for her to do that, Fremantle weren't.

It aligns perfectly. She was talking about how she felt she couldn't meet some of the typical demands of AFLW players, then Melbourne approached her days later without those demands.
okay so now work was never the issue then

its purely because Fremantle asked her to get fit and she refused?

If thats the only reason then fair enough

Big risk by Melbourne being taken then

An unfit Sabreena Duffy is still more dangerous in the forwardline than a fully fit Kara Antonio.

I’ve said it before, Freo is obsess with fitness over skills. This is why we can’t beat the top teams, at least have a balance. It’s ok to draft a girl with extra kgs on as long as she can kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back