Toast Against the odds, Dogs smash Eagles in interstate elimination final

Remove this Banner Ad

Just got home. What a fantastic feeling. Best game i've seen since we beat WCE over here in 2006. Feels like we won a grand final.

Best part was walking through all the salty WCE fans after the game. I love footy.

I thought of you and the other long suffering Perth based doggies. Enjoy this moment, a really big one.

A well deserved and hearty toast Bulldogs.

Your boys came with the right desire and intent from the get go and were lucky not to skip away to a bigger lead early. The smaller players tore us apart with leg speed and the smarts of Daniel, love him as a player. Too many Eagles thought it was just a case of turn up, play some footy and than progress to an away semi.

You've got my support next week and I have fingers, toes and legs crossed that you can send the Hawks packing in straight sets

Just as our luck had to turn, so will the Hawks (and the Cats).

Got to run out of horse shoes, four leaf clovers and leprechauns at some stage.

Go Dogs, a win for the good guys and the true believers.

Best part was walking through all the salty WCE fans after the game. I love footy.
On ya doggies! I'd say the majority of dockers fans wanted your mob to get up.

LOL those WCE fans are gonna be funny at work tomorrow. They are an interesting breed it might be too much for them I think.

Mind you they have their ways. lol

upload_2016-9-8_22-29-2.png

I love this club! They do break my heart at times but wouldn't ever give up on them. May have also had a sneaky bet on them at 4's this arvo and got a multi running too.

Also kudos to the Eagles fans in this thread- very magnanimous bunch today.

Just got home. What a fantastic feeling. Best game i've seen since we beat WCE over here in 2006. Feels like we won a grand final.

Kudos for no doubt participating in the Bulldogs chant that could be clearly heard as the boys took to the field after 3qtr time.

It was one of the highlights of the broadcast back here in Melbourne for mine. Too bad the typically gormless commentary team missed it when talking about the silence of the Eagles fans.

Just want to requote myself from the Elimination thread from yesterday...

[quote uid=10416 name="Rookie" post=46572110]Would have had the nightmare regardless. I just think that despite his limitations, Roberts would have been the best matchup on our list. Never mind, in Morris and Bev we trust!<br /><br />Pumped for this game. 11 hours to go![/QUOTE]<br /><br />Forget the Roberts omission people.<br /><br /><br />His omission if more for team structure than it is anything else.<br /><br /><br />I keep referring people to the make up of our team in the early part of the season before the injuries hit. 2 key backs in Adams and Morris only. 1 key forward in Toyd rotating with Roughy. We monstered teams. <br /><br /><br />We have been compromising ever since Hawthorn but I can tell you now the team as named is a team centered on our BEST FOOTBALL.<br /><br /><br />Not a compromise. Win the ball. Keep possession. Run hard. Pierce their defence. We have recently started losing the contested ball and uncontested ball count. If we are going to be any chance we have to be a positive in these areas. Because our forward line efficiency is simply not up to snuff to play any other way.<br /><br /><br />Bevo is backing in Jong, Smith, Dahlhaus, Bonti, Libba, Picken and Macrae to win the ball. I don’t know about you guys, but that’s a damn good contested ball brigade. If we win the ball then we don’t have to worry about the Eagles forward line. They wont have it. It’s that simple and that’s as complex as our game plan needs to be.<br /><br /><br />With all that said we are still one of the better defensive sides in the competition with gut running both ways should the ball get out. Trust the system.<br /><br /><br />Win the ball, quick hands, and feed it to our outside runners underpinned by an offensive backline. Here we see the Roberts omission come into play. He’s a stopper. We need aggression and rebound off half back. We simply could not carry 3 key backs in Hamling/Morris &amp; Roberts. One guy standing on the backline does nothing for us up the ground where we have a lack of forward line firepower. One of them had to make way for Wood who’s no slouch defensively, in the air and rebounding.<br /><br /><br />Bevo is rolling the dice in favour of our best football. To compromise again would just see a repeat of our previous few games. Low scoring, static ball movement. Doomed to fail anyway.

FIGJAM

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talk about paranoia and using minor symbols as reasoning for losing... o_O
peter gordan put them on a pyre and burnt them while dancing naked. We have a white away strip now, which wins us games in perth. We have also returned to the same bulldog strip which we wore when we won our only premiership... suddenly we look ready to win another premiership. This discussion is over, paranoia and sybolism for the win.

Tremendous game by you blokes tonight. Played with a ton of hardness and skill. We displayed neither trait which was a credit to your pressure.

Whomever is your recruiter must just be about the best in the business. Daniel is going to be another absolute star for you guys.

Good luck for the rest of the finals, I'll be secretly rooting for you :)

I'm an Eagles fan, we played like we've been playing a lot of the year...forget the final three rounds, forget the bye, there were no excuses...we weren't as hungry, and the Dogs were just superior. Since we're out I'm hoping the Dogs go all the way, that would be the ultimate underdog story. Credit to the Doggies.

I know how terrible you must have felt last year when we beat you in that EF so a superb win for you guys tonight big congratulations and good luck next week. The loss last year was motivation this year to take a step forward.

We barely had a right to be playing finals last year with such a young team. No one anticipated us even making the 8 and it was a fairytale even being there given our age and games played profile. The only reason it hurt a bit is because we lost to an inferior side that night.

Best Dogs win I've seen in my life.

When I think finals, I've only ever thought of huge excitement then heartbreak and tears, but last night, well it was just something special. My heart is still pumping out of my chest.

Play like that and we can pull a Hawthorn '08 this year.

The best part is that the only start of the ride, so strap yourselves in because we're going to have a hell of a time.

Staggering to think Stringer and Bont didn't even have their best games and we still thumped them and in Perth! How? Why? Who cares!

Enjoy it. We all deserve that smile on our face and spring in our step in the morning.

Can't wait for next week.

I love our club.

Tremendous game by you blokes tonight. Played with a ton of hardness and skill. We displayed neither trait which was a credit to your pressure.

Whomever is your recruiter must just be about the best in the business. Daniel is going to be another absolute star for you guys.

Good luck for the rest of the finals, I'll be secretly rooting for you :)

Bow down to the competitions new recruiting overlord.

Screen Shot 2016-09-09 at 12.42.22 am.png

Well done tonight guys your boys taught the Eagles a footy lesson. Your mids were outstanding and crumbed the ball off the packs so well and beat and outnumbered the eagles at the contest. Dalhaus and Daniel were sublime. Beveridge really got the Eagles out of their brand and reaped the rewards.

Hopefully you can bring that effort and desire to the table in the weeks to come all the best and hope you go on and win it.

I think that late goal was important for Stringsy. I can see him putting in a massive one next week.

Still amazed how he got a mark taken off him for touched, when there was no touch. An umpire on the other side of the ******* field overruled an umpire a few metres from the ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Back