Changes against Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

I am on the fence about Cleary. I didn't like what I saw in Ballarat against GWS, but the handful of VFL games I have seen I have thought he needs a chance.

As much as I love Toby, his best is behind him. Roarke can't get on the park and Buku has gotten to the level he should have for whatever reason (and I don't blame the match committee for that), McComb ain't up to it. Rinse and repeat for some others.

JOD looks ok. Arty is a maybe.

We are suffering for the price we paid for JUH and Darcy in that we got very little in the way of other good young players in the door (not saying that we shouldn't have done what we did).
As a matter of interest what didn't you like about Cleary in Ballarat? Was at the game and can only think of twice I winced otherwise was fine with him

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Actually.. that's not correct.

Missing the finals might be a good thing but don't necessarily have to win both to make it either

I think making finals is always good especially if JUH, West etc get finals experience.

I also think making the 8 won’t impact off field changes I think the noise and appetite is there now so will happen

I think this year we will need to win both to make it.

A lot of players are good but are if players.

Astro is good if only he could only kick straight.
JUH is good to very good if only he could kick straight.
Flea is good if he only was a better crumber
Westy is good but if he only had more pace.
Jacko is good if only he had more pace.
Treloar is good if only he better disposal.
Bazza is good when in form if only he had better disposal.
Tim is good but only if he was better tap ruckman.
Libba is very good but only if he had more pace.
Bont is a star but only if he could convert set shots.

Do some on here not realise the afl is a higher standard than than the vfl? What’s the point of bringing in someone when you can be very confident they won’t perform. Sweet’s the only player who warrants a spot but that’s not going to happen unless English is injured.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was trying to make sense of it but I honestly don't think its worth trying until after this round is complete.

Check page 3 of the 'Show us ya ladder thread', but as someone pointed out, it could come down to the last game of the season (Blues/GWS) to confirm if us or Giants get in, but there are so many possible permutations before then.

A lot of players are good but are if players.

Astro is good if only he could only kick straight.
JUH is good to very good if only he could kick straight.
Flea is good if he only was a better crumber
Westy is good but if he only had more pace.
Jacko is good if only he had more pace.
Treloar is good if only he better disposal.
Bazza is good when in form if only he had better disposal.
Tim is good but only if he was better tap ruckman.
Libba is very good but only if he had more pace.
Bont is a star but only if he could convert set shots.
Could say the same about every player in the comp, it’s about having a coach who can maximise a players strengths and cover for their weaknesses. We do the opposite.

Ah yes the 22 year old forward who’s kicked 31 in 17 games deserves to be singled. He hasn’t had a great couple of weeks lately but there’s a long line of players I’d single out before him.
Not just his horrendous tackles, but a few times flinched and threw his head back playing for free kicks. Or he is flying when he should be roving the talls.

As a matter of interest what didn't you like about Cleary in Ballarat? Was at the game and can only think of twice I winced otherwise was fine with him

A few red wines in is testing the memory, but I do recall him receiving the kick in from Duryea right near the end, followed by a panic dump kick which directly cost us a goal. Was one of a few moments where he lacked poise. Maybe it’s just inexperience and he will grow, but he is giving me Louis Butler vibes.

A few red wines in is testing the memory, but I do recall him receiving the kick in from Duryea right near the end, followed by a panic dump kick which directly cost us a goal. Was one of a few moments where he lacked poise. Maybe it’s just inexperience and he will grow, but he is giving me Louis Butler vibes.
Understand the wines, was there to. Don't think it was a panic dump kick, should never have got to him, but under pressure kicked it where he should have. Unfortunately, none of our players up field worked that out.

Thought he showed some good signs but was never given the chance to build on it unlike a few other defenders.

Saw him up close and I just doubt his ability to physically impose himself on a contest.
Only actually beaten once. Statistically on average above all other defenders 1 v 1 other than Jones. Would like to see a bigger sample

Caleb Poulter does the same, but has great skills
Not sure they are any better at all than Cleary. We never have had the chance to see as we play a minimum of 3 talls with limited attacking abilities

Other than changes for changes sake. Im not sure what youse guys want in the way of changes.

Libba aside the sad fact is that this is probably as strong a side as we are likely to see for the rest of the year. It's just one that is completely devoid of confidence. This may be an issue of an inherent meekness in a team that outside of its talisman in Libba doesn't really care to fly the flag or get its hands dirty when things aren't going its way. It could be because the coaching panel is completely out of ideas. Or it could in a perfect storm or shitness. Be both.

The 3 best Bulldogs listed players at Footscray last week in Sweet, Mclean and Crozier are all at long odds to be on the list next year.

The problem is that Footscray has been carried by the likes of Sullivan, Sweet, McLean and a host of VFL listed players all season. That team is full of AFL listed guys not deemed ready. List cloggers without much in the way of upside beyond being able to adequately fill injury holes. Or guys filling time until the axe falls on the careers.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back