Current Aiia - International student murdered near Bundoora shopping centre Codey Hermann charged

Remove this Banner Ad

Just saying it happens more in other places doesn’t mean it’s not a problem.

But you said and I quote:

Maybe take a look at the domestic violence and general violence against women stats in this country. Oh, and maybe lose the insecurity about your manhood. If you can’t recognise or admit that overall men have a huge problem in this country with how they treat women then you are probably also part of the problem.

Meaning that according to you "this country" has the problem. All I presented was it's not just "this" country and it is also a cancer that infects the most so called progressive countries on this planet.

"Aspiring" has surely become a euphemism in this context. Aspiring rappers are like aspiring writers or aspiring actors or aspiring artists, i.e. unemployed.
There will always be "Aspiring" & "unemployed" talent in the Arts. Doesn't make them all perpetrators of crime. Some are victims. Eurydice Dixon was an aspiring comedian. If we attribute personal circumstances to why crimes occur, then the likes of Henri Van Breda might never of come under suspicion for committing the heinous crimes that the Court found him guilty of. The police must do their job without malice nor prejudice.

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

I agree in one sense. Domestic violence situations happen everyday. Women are killed every goddamn day by husbands and boyfriends in this country. More than people die on the roads in fact. Random street attacks happen rarely, yes, but they’ve also happened enough - way too much, in this city in the past 4-5 years - to surely be willing to ask yourself, wtf? until we can accept the cause we’ll never solve the problem.

Sorry, I do not and will never accept the contention that my attitude(s) contributed one iota to this crime.

Odd how people on the same side (i.e. abhorring this crime) can be turned into combatants by certain activist groups spreading messages of discord.

There will always be "Aspiring" & "unemployed" talent in the Arts. Doesn't make them all perpetrators of crime. Some are victims. Eurydice Dixon was an aspiring comedian. If we attribute personal circumstances to why crimes occur, then the likes of Henri Van Breda might never of come under suspicion for committing the heinous crimes that the Court found him guilty of. The police must do their job without malice nor prejudice.

Sure. The tweet in question was a comment on the sympathetic description of the suspect.

But you said and I quote:

Maybe take a look at the domestic violence and general violence against women stats in this country. Oh, and maybe lose the insecurity about your manhood. If you can’t recognise or admit that overall men have a huge problem in this country with how they treat women then you are probably also part of the problem.

Meaning that according to you "this country" has the problem. All I presented was it's not just "this" country and it is also a cancer that infects the most so called progressive countries on this planet.

Ok I take that point. I’m not saying we are the worst country in the world for it, but I am saying it’s a big issue; and Aussie masculinity is a huge part of what causes it. We have everything here, we should aspire to be the safest and most inclusive place on earth for everyone.

I find it unfathomable that this (random stuff, forget the DV) has happened about 4 or 5 times in the past few years in this city. I will not sway that this this is the way men are brought up in this country, I grew up in small town Victoria and the bullshit sexist language was off the charts. Im a believer that environment is 95% and genetics is 5%. these environments create this.

Last edited:
Ok I take that point. I’m not saying we are the worst country in the world for it, but I am saying it’s a big issue; and Aussie masculinity is a huge part of what causes it. We have everything here, we should aspire to be the safest and most inclusive place on earth for everyone.

I find it unfathomable that this (random stuff, forget the DV) has happened about 4 or 5 times in the past few years. I will not sway that this this is the way men are brought up in this country, I grew up in small town Victoria and the bullshit sexist language was off the charts. Im a believer that environment is 95% and genetics is 5%. these environments create this.

Good points :) again I believe it is the toxic masculinity that exists everywhere. In relation to the "random stuff" it's been happening as far as I can remember (mid 1970s), maybe it's the power of social media and sites such as this that continue a conversation as back in the good old days it was only letters to the editor and talk back that allowed people to share their opinion with a wider audience.

Small town Vic could get much worse than the festering holes that were places such as Jeparit, Rainbow, Warracknabeal etc. could they :think: still trying to wipe away the stench of them 40 years later :p

That would be our friends across the ditch (and probably our Scandinavian friends also). not us.

I deliberately did not include NZ as been progressive as they were 48.8% male Vs 51.2% female murders

Good points :) again I believe it is the toxic masculinity that exists everywhere. In relation to the "random stuff" it's been happening as far as I can remember (mid 1970s), maybe it's the power of social media and sites such as this that continue a conversation as back in the good old days it was only letters to the editor and talk back that allowed people to share their opinion with a wider audience.

Small town Vic could get much worse than the festering holes that were places such as Jeparit, Rainbow, Warracknabeal etc. could they :think: still trying to wipe away the stench of them 40 years later :p

I deliberately did not include NZ as been progressive as they were 48.8% male Vs 51.2% female murders

Surely that’s the definition of progressive?

Any confirmation what crime he was on bail for, or when he was bailed? I wonder if his name pops up by searching Magistrates Courts sessions.

EDIT: on bail for charges relating to minor offences

Last edited:
Nah, the flu is 60x a larger issue than violence against women.

This looks more like a monster on the street.

How sheltered.
Police are called to a dv incident every 7 minutes.

People terrorised, kids traumatised in their own homes, shelters full, men homeless, women murdered and you use a stat on the flu.

we’ve moved on from pushing this s**t behind closed doors, we’ve moved on from minimising and ignoring it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does anyone tolerate it?

I have no idea how anyone can do anything to prevent some lunatic doing this sort of thing.
The sad reality is we can't prevent it 100%. All we can do is maximise the penalty as a deterrent instead of giving violent criminals a slap on the wrist. So many times these dickheads are 'known to police' but somehow still roaming free.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

“A survey of domestic violence data in Australia revealed that 1 in 3 women have experienced at least one incident of violence from a current or former partner since the age of 15. Between 2014 and 2016 there were 264,028 domestic violence incidents reported and recorded”.

Are you suggesting that 1 in 3 women have been with a man who fulfils at least one of those categories?

Again, you’re taking this personally. there’s nothing wrong with saying this is bullshit, it’s clearly a cultural thing, and it needs to stop.
I'd argue that the stats would be even higher for men who have suffered violence at the hands of a man.

Maybe violence is the problem and not just violence against women...
For every Aiia, there's a Patty Cronin. Half the problem is people are more than happy to jump up and down about violence against women but they overlook the greater problem of violence in general.

It shouldn't matter if the violence is against a woman, man, or someone who identifies as non binary, violence is violence.

Don't accept it on any level or rank it to normalise it on a different level.

Dan Andrews, is that you? Are you speaking on behalf of yourself and your mates, or are you purporting to speak for me?

Maybe nico off to the politics thread. Crime rates in this state went up when last conservative govt cut police numbers. Plus their usual cut to mental health services.

Last edited:
Maybe nico off to the politics thread. Crime rates in this state went up when last conservative govt cut police numbers. Plus their usual cut to mental health services. Right wing w**k***!

Maybe you should get with the program.

"We can — and must — end this culture of violence against women. But nothing will change until we change, too. Until we stop blaming ‘bad men’ — while ignoring the sexist attitudes in our society that created them."

- Daniel Andrews yesterday, implicating 'society' in the murder

The murder had nothing to do with any mythical general "culture of violence against women" and everything to do with "bad men".

How sheltered.
Police are called to a dv incident every 7 minutes.
Someone dies every two hours from the flu and pneumonia in Australia, that's the point I was making. First person I ever heard of dying from it was an early twenties nurse too.

This indigenous guy has more link to the domestic violence issue though as statistical probability, rates in indigenous communities are far higher than externally.

[TABLE
I agree in one sense. Domestic violence situations happen everyday. Women are killed every goddamn day by husbands and boyfriends in this country. More than people die on the roads in fact. Random street attacks happen rarely, yes, but they’ve also happened enough - way too much, in this city in the past 4-5 years - to surely be willing to ask yourself, wtf? until we can accept the cause we’ll never solve the problem.

It’s nowhere near one per day, it was just over one per week. And far more people die on the roads than are murdered - Victoria alone had more vehicle related deaths than the homicide amount in the whole of Australia. Random attacks are so rare, that’s why when they do happen they are so scary and memorable - JillMeagher, Mass Vukotic, Eurydice Dixon and now Aiia, but they are not themselves a huge problem in society - the fact that they are rare amplifies the outrage felt. They’re a seperate issue to domestic violence related deaths. You’re more likely to be hit by a car walking home and killed than by a random stranger.

You are doing nothing more than virtue signalling here

One concerning issue with the alleged killer here is his age
20 years old and obviously f*cked in the head
Whether that is due to drugs or alcohol or mental illness or some past issues in his upbringing... the cause would be good to identify.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back