Alice In Chains ... the great "Staley" conundrum

Remove this Banner Ad

Last night was incredible.

I havent dug a show that much in ages. They sounded f*cking amazing.

DuVall completely blew me away. He went for every single vocal part where I'd have forgiven him for dogging the odd one here and there or improvising his way around certain parts, but he nailed every single one of them and the power was just b*llshit good. He was incredible.

And the other 3 have lost nothing. Mike Inez has always been one of my favourite bass players and he was just awesome to watch last night. He's got such a great vibe on stage and his playing and sound was awesome.

And Sean Kinney is just a monstor. At 42 he's hitting with as much intensity and power yet still with that loose fluidity as what he ever did and visually he is still awesome.

And Jerry (despite the odd technical difficulty with his sound) was just completely on it. I've always loved his playing and the harmonies sounded as good as they ever did.

But again, DuVall just dominated. Seems to have really grown into the front man roll (although i could probably do without the hand claps) and the voice was just faultless. The second guitar also added a heap of grunt to an already massive sound to some tunes.

It cant be easy singing some of those lyrics, particularly with how Layne ended up. But he paid every single vocal part complete respect and somehow managed to stay true to how Layne sung them without ever sounding like he was mimicking. I'll probably get sh*tcanned for this, but it has to be said that i dont think he actually tries to, he just f*cking sounds like Layne Stayley!

So many setlist highlights, but Love Hate Love was just killer, and Sludge Factory nearly blew my head clean off. And the dedication of Nutshell to Layne was a nice moment.

But seriously, the whole show was just awesome from start to finish. I was a bit surprised that they didnt play Down in a Hole, but everything else was there.

And it was really cool seeing how happy the other dudes looked on stage, particularly Jerry. Its not their fault their old singer made the choices he did, and while i couldnt have been easy deciding to carry on, i'm so glad they did because those tunes deserve to be played. And there wasn't one moment last night where i thought that it wasn't the right thing to do.

Bring on the new album!

Last night was incredible.

I havent dug a show that much in ages. They sounded f*cking amazing.

DuVall completely blew me away. He went for every single vocal part where I'd have forgiven him for dogging the odd one here and there or improvising his way around certain parts, but he nailed every single one of them and the power was just b*llshit good. He was incredible.

And the other 3 have lost nothing. Mike Inez has always been one of my favourite bass players and he was just awesome to watch last night. He's got such a great vibe on stage and his playing and sound was awesome.

And Sean Kinney is just a monstor. At 42 he's hitting with as much intensity and power yet still with that loose fluidity as what he ever did and visually he is still awesome.

And Jerry (despite the odd technical difficulty with his sound) was just completely on it. I've always loved his playing and the harmonies sounded as good as they ever did.

But again, DuVall just dominated. Seems to have really grown into the front man roll (although i could probably do without the hand claps) and the voice was just faultless. The second guitar also added a heap of grunt to an already massive sound to some tunes.

It cant be easy singing some of those lyrics, particularly with how Layne ended up. But he paid every single vocal part complete respect and somehow managed to stay true to how Layne sung them without ever sounding like he was mimicking. I'll probably get sh*tcanned for this, but it has to be said that i dont think i actually tries to, he just f*cking sounds like Layne Stayley!

So many setlist highlights, but Love Hate Love was just killer, and Sludge Factory nearly blew my head clean off. And the dedication of Nutshell to Layne was a nice moment.

But seriously, the whole show was just awesome from start to finish. I was a bit surprised that they didnt play Down in a Hole, but everything else was there.

And it was really cool seeing how happy the other dudes looked on stage, particularly Jerry. Its not their fault their old singer made the choices he did, and while i couldnt have been easy deciding to carry on, i'm so glad they did because those tunes deserve to be played. And there wasn't one moment last night where i thought that it wasn't the right thing to do.

Bring on the new album!

Agree with all of that awesome show.

By the way, the set list was something like (not completely sure i got the order right after Man in the Box - i was too busy hyperventilating!):

Again
Angry Chair
Man In The Box
Them Bones
Dirt
Rain When I Die
Junkhead
Dam That River
Nutshell
Sludge Factory
We Die Young
It Ain’t Like That
No Excuses
Love Hate Love

Encore:
Would?
Rooster

Sounds awesome. Will make sure to see them at Soundwave now, wasn't sure how the new singer would go and I was being cautious about it, but you've managed to get my hopes up. :)

Saw them today at Soundwave and they were ****ing awesome.

Could not have been more impressed with Duvall's work, both vocally and on occasional rhythm guitar. As Carlos said, he didn't punk out on the wailing parts of the songs where he could have been quite easily excused for doing so. But he seemed to take them on with relish and pulled off each and every one.

The rest of the band, as expected, were on and right up for it. Jerry took a tumble during the first song but brushed it off with a chuckle and kept going :D

I didn't have the balls to shell out the money to see them on their own and risk being disapponted, especially when I already had the Soundwave tickets. I am seriously regretting it after tonights performance though.

The only thing that saved my pussy ass is they only played 3 or 4 songs less tonight than they did at their personal gig.

I don't really need to post now, because Carlos said what I was going to say! AIC were awesome, and I'd love to see them again.

Who filled in for Kinney in 1993 - Jimmy Degrasso?

I've got a bootleg dvd of a festival performance in Germany with William Duvall fronting. Not sure of the exact date.

He has a great voice and does a really good job of the tunes. I can totally understand why they chose him as in many ways he does actually almost sound like Layne.

But he has zero presence and absolutely no intensity. He comes across as a really nice dude, and that was never a word you'd associate with Alice in Chains (although those harmonies could be pretty bloody beautiful... sigh :( ) In front of what looks like about 60,000 people he looks like a possum in the headlights and just doesnt look comfortable on stage. He mumbles incoherently between the songs and barely moves during them. But he can sing.

Just as a side note, the absolute highlight of the show is James Hetfield (Metallica headlined the festival) storming out to do a ball tearing version of Would. The intensity of the show lifts 1000%!

I havent got a ticket yet as everyone i've asked has said they wont bother because it aint Alice in Chains without Layne. But like IDGAF and others have said, it'd be worth going just to see Jerry and the boys. And for me personally, i never got to see AIC play with Sean Kinney as he got injured the show before the one i saw at Festival Hall back in around 93 (one of the worst shows i've ever seen FWIW - Layne could barely stand up), and i'm a massive Sean Kinney fan.

where can one get acopy of this "bootleg" copy of the concert , very interested in seeing it

I don't really need to post now, because Carlos said what I was going to say! AIC were awesome, and I'd love to see them again.

Who filled in for Kinney in 1993 - Jimmy Degrasso?
Yeah spot on. I really liked his playing with Suicidal Tendencies back in the day.

I'm still on a high after Thursday. Everyone i know who went have all said the same thing too. Such a great show.

Really glad they chose to do this.

where can one get acopy of this "bootleg" copy of the concert , very interested in seeing it
My missus picked it up for me in Thailand. The one i have has the same cover as the unplugged DVD. The performance is live at Rock AM Ring June 2 2006 in Nurburgring Germany. I'm sure if you search around the net you'll find it.

And its totally pro shot too. I think its lifted from a TV coverage.

Would kill to have something similar from this tour.

Yeah saw them tonight also, was skeptical as AIC is one of my favourite bands but they were great. Jerry is still my favourite guitarist and the new singer is great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was brilliant seeing them at Soundwave. I was im Melb for 4 days so was lucky to offload my Soundwave ticket for Adelaide at short notice and get to the Melb show.

AIC definately my highlight of the festival. :thumbsu:

Sounded Beutiful tonight, i mean he's no staley, but god damn he's as close as your going to get
Thats the thing - he is no Layne Staley, but i dont think he is trying to be. Like i said in an earlier post, i didnt once think he was mimicking Layne like so many turkeys have tried to over the years. I just think he naturally sounds a bit like Layne.

Whatever the case, they sounded f*cking awesome and very much like Alice in Chains IMO. I'm so happy i decided to go check it out and that they gave us the opportunity to by touring again.

Really looking forward to hearing the new album. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back