All ANZ games relocated to the SCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Right decision, bad communication and an even worse attitude from Pridham that compounded the angst. If the change was done right there wouldn't have been any issues and no need for Pert to vent on radio.

All that was required was the simple courtesy of keeping Collingwood informed of what was happening, they could have maintained their hold on city hotels and worked on a solution for fans put out. A 40 odd minute drive might not seem much for a footy club, but clubs like to begin recovery asap and it's likely to have an effect there. In terms of fans lot of displeasure could have been avoided if Collingwood where able to respond by saying we've organised buses or another solution. Something like that really should have been announced by the AFL at the same time as the venue change.

The complaining has been over the top. Regardless of this though,for our country's biggest sport, the ineptitude and lack of professionalism from the administration is laughable.

I assume you refer to the Collingwood administration which was aware since Oct last year the Swans were negotiating to move the game, but whose response to this eventuality was to apparently make no plans, or listen to the AFL - which was fully aware and who were part of the negotiation - and now rather than roll out plan b are simply choosing to cry in the media.

Last edited:

Bizarre that it was left until so late but whatever, home team should have the right within reason to play where they want.

Personally I think it's a backwards looking decision, an admission that they have failed in some Markets and prefer the safety of the smaller venue nearer their fan base which is generic and geographically based in that area.

Looking forward to the Pies playing some more home games against the swans in future. The promotional arguments for us playing away to the swans every year no longer apply at the toy ground. Let's play the giants up there for a change, their fans deserve to see Collingwood too. We can only spread ourselves so far, it's a great challenge to please everybody.

Last edited:
Bizarre that it was left until so late but whatever, home team should have the right within reason to play where they want............................................ The promotional arguments for us playing away to the swans every year no longer apply at the toy ground. Let's play the giants up there for a change, their fans deserve to see Collingwood too. We can only spread ourselves so far, it's a great challenge to please everybody.

What more can we say!
The very reason as to why Pridham spoke as he did.

Responding to arrogance with arrogance!

Out of interest, can anyone remember how far in advance the Power-Melbourne game was moved from AAMI to Adelaide Oval in 2011? (Would be the last instance of a match venue being changed after the announcement of the fixture, far as I can remember at least).
I remember Melbourne decrying the fact that the ground was so long and narrow and would have to re-think game strategy.
Admittedly the game was in a floating round but had Melbourne already booked hotels? Did they have to get a coach from West Lakes to the city, or were they staying in the city already? I can't remember at what point of the year that change was made.

Bizarre that it was left until so late but whatever, home team should have the right within reason to play where they want.

Personally I think it's a backwards looking decision, an admission that they have failed in some Markets and prefer the safety of the smaller venue nearer their fan base which is generic and geographically based in that area.

Looking forward to the Pies playing some more home games against the swans in future. The promotional arguments for us playing away to the swans every year no longer apply at the toy ground. Let's play the giants up there for a change, their fans deserve to see Collingwood too. We can only spread ourselves so far, it's a great challenge to please everybody.
Not so much a backwards looking decision as a decision made by listening to the fans. ANZ is not suitable for AFL for multiple reasons and the SCG is a fantastic live venue.

Toy ground?

I understand.

But it is the way your president & CEO view the AFL landscape.

I dont speak for them.

This game was however set up as a standalone game at Homebush in the middle of the bye round to help expand the Swans fan base.

None of these things apply any more so no need to set anything in the fixture any more in my opinion.

I don't want to play the swans in Mebourne. They're such a poor pay day for the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-01/afl-moves-to-help-pie-fans-affected-by-stadium-switch
we get told every other week that you can't move a game so we're just saying 'hang on a second, you could have given us a heads up here'," McGuire said.
How often does Eddie ask to move a game? Every time Collingwood is scheduled somewhere other than the MCG?
"Hey AFL can we move Collingwood v West Coast from Etihad to MCG?"
"Hey AFL can we move West Coast v Collingwood from Subiaco to MCG?"
"Hey AFL can we more Port Adelaide v Collingwood from AO to MCG?"

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-01/afl-moves-to-help-pie-fans-affected-by-stadium-switch

How often does Eddie ask to move a game? Every time Collingwood is scheduled somewhere other than the MCG?
"Hey AFL can we move Collingwood v West Coast from Etihad to MCG?"
"Hey AFL can we move West Coast v Collingwood from Subiaco to MCG?"
"Hey AFL can we more Port Adelaide v Collingwood from AO to MCG?"

He doesnt ask, youre quite right, he doesnt usually need to. It was the proverbial "we" ....the other 17 clubs, or many of them. There have been numerous requests to move venues over the years that have fallen on deaf ears by the AFL. Thats undisputed. Maguire is just askling the question as to whether these ears will continue to be deaf going forward ie whether Sydneys last minute venue change has set a precedent or whether it was a one off.

Non issue as far as I'm concerned....of course its a one off. For some reason the decision or approval or agreement came very late.

Sort of makes you wonder why the club locked itself into such a crappy venue in the middle of nowhere. It should have done a year by year arrangement because the Sydney market is fickle. They don't even attend their own game.

s**t venue, shine wears off, crowds fall. Juventus had the same issues with the stadio delle alpi in turin which was built for Italia 90 and athletics. their average crowds were down to under 40k just prior to relegation for match fixing in 03/04. they were above 50k when the venue opened in 1990.

wasn't it the AFL that essentially entered these deals on behalf of the Swans? after the Olympic Games, the AFL contributed a significant amount of coin to * up the stadium for an AFL configuration, so the AFL insisted that games were played there.

then you have the issue of the League Chairman being directly involved in the management company for the venue.

it's still not an entirely great outcome as there is still a potential of the venue hosting a final or two if the swans are entitled to it this season.

Last edited:
He doesnt ask, youre quite right, he doesnt usually need to. It was the proverbial "we" ....the other 17 clubs, or many of them. There have been numerous requests to move venues over the years that have fallen on deaf ears by the AFL. Thats undisputed. Maguire is just askling the question as to whether these ears will continue to be deaf going forward ie whether Sydneys last minute venue change has set a precedent or whether it was a one off.

Non issue as far as I'm concerned....of course its a one off. For some reason the decision or approval or agreement came very late.
It's not very last-minute when it was mooted and the AFL virtually approved it ("pencilled in for ANZ" etc) 4 months ago :)

wasn't it the AFL that essentially entered these deals on behalf of the Swans? after the Olympic Games, the AFL contributed a significant amount of coin to **** up the stadium for an AFL configuration, so the AFL insisted that games were played there.

then you have the issue of the League Chairman being directly involved in the management company for the venue.

it's still not an entirely great outcome as there is still a potential of the venue hosting a final or two if the swans are entitled to it this season.
Swans will have their fingers crossed that the NRL needs the venue for the whole weekend for finals as well. AFL could even come to the party and find some "need" for the Swans to play the same day as an NRL final at ANZ so they are "forced to" use the SCG :p

Sort of makes you wonder why the club locked itself into such a crappy venue in the middle of nowhere. It should have done a year by year arrangement because the Sydney market is fickle. They don't even attend their own game.

14 kms from the CBD is not the middle of nowhere. Spot on about your fickle comment though. Sydneysiders are terribly territorial to the point that its almost suburban racism!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back