List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The media saying star Eagles have taken a pay cut to get TK. Wow.
5 mill. He's up there with Gov and NN? Or above?
Does that make him the highest paid at WCE?
That's a lot of pressure.
Wonder what Shuey and Yeo and Gaff get?

Suspect senior players thoughts would be, we have been well paid to now, 2019 results were a wake a call, we have a closing window, premierships are what its all about = TK.

Gaff, Shepard & NN's main motivation = a premiership,

Yeo, suspect same & Shuey case point.

Bringing in TK only puts a short term strain on the SC, some big names will be gone by 2022 & Willie's salary is up in smoke.

I don't rate Duggan very highly. But we don't offer up contracted players who have not asked to go. And Duggan has not asked to go. Nor are there any Vic clubs sniffing around him that we know about. So i doubt he is going anywhere.

Vozzo said that on Trade Radio that we are basically done and its just the delistings left to do. I think people can safely forget any deals like trading Duggan. Best we can hope for is maybe a swap of late picks, even that is unlikely given what we have left.

Reckon thats pretty much the status.

It's like the week leading into Christmas and Vozzo is in a Louis Vuitton store, credit card maxed out and only $15.00 in his wallet, lots of things he would like to buy but he has nothing left to spend.

It is also rare for a rival club to just continually lurk around on the fringes, wasting their time and embarassing themselves by forcing the player to keep publicly re-iterating their rejection of the rival club. I mean, i have never heard of a circumstance before where a club continually engages in negotiations for a player who has rejected them. If you were a CEO would you hire, let alone buy, an employee who had repeatedly rejected your company and made clear that they have a negative opinion of your company and didn't want to work there? Well, thats what Freo did. They have no dignity at all.

well I, and others it seems, have taken it to mean that a group of senior players have taken less cash than they could've demanded in preparation to be in a position to get another top line player.

Seemed very relevant to the discussion, but if you say it means nothing...
We know nic nat took a pay cut. Probably all our recent signings as well.

No we underestimated how weak our list managers are.
I wouldn't be calling them weak, they got the boy and his family home in the first three days of trade period while 16 other clubs are still posturing and haggling for incremental gains. After the train-wreck that was last year, I think it's a big positive this time around that they didn't mess around. Put yourself in TK's shoes, after missing the draft for near on half a decade + the failed trade last year, maybe even he started to doubt just how much the Eagles wanted/rated him. Getting it done the way your mob did would send a pretty clear message that you value him highly, and that the next six years are more than just a fat contract.

I think we were forced into paying overs for Kelly by a combination of unfortunate circumstances.

Firstly, we were dealing with an irrational trading counterpart. It seemed to me from Geelongs public statements that they were equally motivated by not wanting to trade Kelly to us, because they saw us a flag rival, as they were motivated by wanting to maximise the trading return that they got in return for Kelly. I think that they would have happily taken a lesser return from Freo than they got from us, purely to just to keep him off us.

Secondly, we had Freo lurking around refusing to **** off and go away. Bell was out there on TR every other day making comments that made it clear that they still wanted to keep bidding for Kelly anyway, even though he had said No to going there. If media reports are to be believed they even went as far as making clear offers of top ten picks to Geelong.

These are both very unusual circustances. It is rare to be faced with an irrational trading counterpart who is not 100% purely motivated by the desire to maximise trading return, but is equally as motivated by he intention to just not trade the player to you. It is also rare for a rival club to just continually lurk around on the fringes, wasting their time and embarassing themselves by forcing the player to keep publicly re-iterating their rejection of the rival club. I mean, i have never heard of a circumstance before where a club continually engages in negotiations for a player who has rejected them. If you were a CEO would you hire, let alone buy, an employee who had repeatedly rejected your company and made clear that they have a negative opinion of your company and didn't want to work there? Well, thats what Freo did. They have no dignity at all.

If you couple those circumstances together i guess i can understand why the club felt it was better to overpay and get the deal done than take the chance that these unique circumstances might eventually derail the trade if the clock kept running down.
If you listened to his presser and his managers interview on 882 pr last night, Freo were never in the picture. This threat was small.

Under option 1, we paid the asking price, not over it. Alternatively we offer unders, wait a week for the owner to cave, then another couple in purple shirts rock up, offer the asking price and get the house. We spend the next x years wondering 'what if...'
No the asking price is an inflated price. The price they buyer would ultimately accept is below this.

Hopefully our recruiters are scouring the Widgiemooltha B Grade for the next Judd. With pick 52 and 64 we're going to need to find a real diamond in the rough. Maybe we could draft Sokol before he makes his way east and becomes a star. Sam Murray from Collingwood, who no-one seems to want might be a prospect. Do the reverse Richmond, take a bad boy from the east coast and convert him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be calling them weak, they got the boy and his family home in the first three days of trade period while 16 other clubs are still posturing and haggling for incremental gains. After the train-wreck that was last year, I think it's a big positive this time around that they didn't mess around. Put yourself in TK's shoes, after missing the draft for near on half a decade + the failed trade last year, maybe even he started to doubt just how much the Eagles wanted/rated him. Getting it done the way your mob did would send a pretty clear message that you value him highly, and that the next six years are more than just a fat contract.
I would call their negotiating weak, absolutely.

They absolutely were committed to get Kelly back, so they are men of their word.

But this is a deal, it's business and if this were a company investing in assets, shareholders would not be impressed with the capital outlayed as the return on investment is capped

I would call their negotiating weak, absolutely.

They absolutely were committed to get Kelly back, so they are men of their word.

But this is a deal, it's business and if this were a company investing in assets, shareholders would not be impressed with the capital outlayed as the return on investment is capped
Yes this is a business but we’re dealing with human beings not merely assets. You don’t think that part of the reason that TK didn’t consider Freo is because we showed that we rate him highly and will do everything in our power to get him to the club?

He said himself that this club is the type of environment that he and his family needs.

If Stack and Pickett didn't even get drafted last year, you know the talent is still out there to be found late. Stack arguably could've won the rising star.

I just hope we aren't so conservative with who we select, given we might have to take a risk on someone to get any value out of the picks.

Gryan (ugh) Miers was pick 57 and played 25 games + 3 finals for the cats this year kicking 28 goals.

Tom Atkins played 23 games including 3 finals as a rookie. This is for the team that finished top of the ladder.

Zac Langdon at GWS was pick 56.

Rioli was pick 52 obviously, also smokes pot.

Jack Graham has played 39 games for the tigers, including all their finals and would've been a 2x premiership player this year and he was take at 53 after Willy.

They don't have to be stars to be valuable selections. Sokol and Bolton would make sense IMO, unless some highly rated talent slides.

Last edited:
Who are the projected sliders this year? Will we have a chance on any of them or will they be snapped up by the time 52 comes round? And won't 52 drop a few places after nga?

Riddle me this, how do we replace the current de-listings with only a single pick ?

The current delisting from the senior list is Masten.

Seems very likely Mellen and Mutimer will go too. Plus we had an empty spot on the senior list. That takes us down to 36 senior players.

Kelly comes in. Watson has to be elevated. That’s 38.

We have picks 52 and 64. That gives us our 40 senior players.

Harley Bennell step on down. The perfect low risk high reward type.

Inb4 I get flamed for suggesting him.

We have s**t picks so why not take the punt on him? If he fu**s up, he is goneski. Give him a 1 year deal on rookie wages.
Isn't Harley Bennell the reason Tim Kelly wouldn't consider the Dockers last year? I thought the Kelly's and Bennell's hated each other?!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back