Training Alright, alright, alright! Its the 2022 Pre-season training thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

So Bailey Smith is still MIA? Poor form by the club to just say nothing for two weeks.

He’s 30yo, 195cm & probably close to 100kgs, I think anyone expecting any footy out of him next year is going to be very disappointed, even if he does get back it’ll be so late and he’ll be so out of touch just give him the year and get him primed for a big 2023.

I really think we bring guys back way too early from the knees - McLean a good example, how many months was he from injury to VFL, couldn’t have been too many. Look at Sicily from the Hawks, did his knee in round 12 2020 and they ruled him out for the year this year. I get we’re contending and they’re not but geez did we really need McLean, couldn’t have hurt to give him the year get him primed for a big 2022 now chances are he’ll never be the same again.

How many players do we have who have done double knees? Toby, Libba, Clay, Rourke just off the top of my head - really seems more than the average. I get you go by what the doc says and these guys are keen to get back asap but fu** if someone’s gonna be out til at least the 2nd half of the year just give them the season and let them build proper strength in it again. We know the chances of re-injure are dramatically increased in the first month or two after a knee and once they’re past that stage they’re pretty much as strong as ever. They usually take a month or more to get up to speed again anyway so why risk it for maybe a few weeks of good footy, especially if it’s a young player with 8+ years in front of them
I've said the same in the past.

Posted studies where there's a massive difference in re-rupture rates between returning within 12 months and over 18 months. Especially if there's a history or re-doing it.

The person I was talking about in the below post was Clay Smith. In 2016, returning after multiple knee recos - my thinking was best to keep him off the field until 2017. My "thinking" would have almost certainly cost us the 2016 prelim. There's trade-offs with every outlook.

Still no sign of him today either. He was due back late November so this is the 3rd week.
Its just weird at this point, he had no surgery to manage in the off-season, where is he? This is where the unprofessionalism of the AFL shines through, the club just stays silent and not one 'journo' even thinks of asking the question.

Its just weird at this point, he had no surgery to manage in the off-season, where is he? This is where the unprofessionalism of the AFL shines through, the club just stays silent and not one 'journo' even thinks of asking the question.
Yet I’m sure if they started writing stories about it there’d be people here complaining about the muck raking scum in the media.

I’m happy not to think or worry about it so it doesn’t bother me much.

But that’s just me. From the conclusion of the draft through to about Australia Day is a time of non-football meditation in my annual cycle. Just as well there’s a bit of cricket and tennis on around then.

Then I can come back in February reinvigorated for the new season.

Still think its super weird he isn't training and the club has not said a thing at all.

The person I was talking about in the below post was Clay Smith. In 2016, returning after multiple knee recos - my thinking was best to keep him off the field until 2017. My "thinking" would have almost certainly cost us the 2016 prelim. There's trade-offs with every outlook.

There's also the difficulty in holding some players back. Players want to play, and after 12 months on the sidelines and feeling at 95% full fitness for the last couple of months of rehab the guys just want to get on the paddock.

Still think its super weird he isn't training and the club has not said a thing at all.
You do realise the only people in the world even speculating about him not training is the 10 people in this thread - what are the club addressing exactly? Do we even know he’s not training? Do the club have to make an announcement every time someone’s not spotted in a 5 slide picture on instagram?

You do realise the only people in the world even speculating about him not training is the 10 people in this thread - what are the club addressing exactly? Do we even know he’s not training? Do the club have to make an announcement every time someone’s not spotted in a 5 slide picture on instagram?

You're downplaying it significantly. He has missed the first 3.5 weeks of training. There's a story there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's definitely a thing. Lets hope it's not a bad thing. Whatever it is, unless it's a Stringer situation, we need to provide wrap around support at the expense of footy in the short term. He's the long-term, and we will show up the Hawks.

Im not sure. Is Smith not training, not not training or is he just not appearing in the clubs carefully curated training images and videos?

Its difficult to believe that the wider media wouldn't be all over a story about one of the games most marketable young player being completely absent from training.

Im not sure. Is Smith not training, not not training or is he just not appearing in the clubs carefully curated training images and videos?

Its difficult to believe that the wider media wouldn't be all over a story about one of the games most marketable young player being completely absent from training.

The first person to put an article out on it may come under intense scruitiny from the public. But after that, the floodgates open

Why does everyone jump straight to a “Stringer situation” or think the worst when it comes to Baz, the blokes literally been the prototype professional from even before he came into the AFL - has not gone as far as setting a single foot wrong since he entered the system. It’s literally because of what he looks like and he has a bit of attitude on field? 😂

Why does everyone jump straight to a “Stringer situation” or think the worst when it comes to Baz, the blokes literally been the prototype professional from even before he came into the AFL - has not gone as far as setting a single foot wrong since he entered the system. It’s literally because of what he looks like and he has a bit of attitude on field? 😂
He’s been the centre of media attention and has more Instagram followers than Dusty (afaik). Incidentally hasn’t posted to Insta for 3 weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back