Amazing that no premiership side has ever fielded the same side again.

Remove this Banner Ad

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Last year I thought the tigers could be the first premiership side to field the same 22 again however with Rioli missing the first half of the season and short cementing a spot and Townsend losing his it never happened. As we stand right now we still have the flag 22 on our list although Townsend could be on the move so it will likely not happen.
West coast have already lost Lycett so they can’t be the first ones either.
Amazing really in the history of the afl/vfl that this has never happened.

I wonder how many sides in general have played the same side they played in their last game the previous season?

Surely there have been a few sides that have played again from the previous season?

Last edited:

Last year I thought the tigers could be the first premiership side to field the same 22 again however with Rioli missing the first half of the season and short cementing a spot and Townsend losing his it never happened. As we stand right now we still have the flag 22 on our list although Townsend could be on the move so it will likely not happen.
West coast have already lost Lycett so they can’t be the first ones either.
Amazing really in the history of the afl/vfl that this has never happened.

I wonder how many sides in general have played the same side they played in their last game the previous season?

Surely there have been a few sides that have played again from the previous season?

It’s rare enough that teams are full strength going into a grand final. It’s hardly surprising that it doesn’t carry over from one flag to the next.

absolutely ridiculous that it is the same but the difference is that they are always the same overall..
you are trying the world that says that it has to be the same and yet it has to be different..

give you another chance to reform and change your mind..
Anyone ever told you you’re a weird unit?

Has a team even had the same identical team from one season to the next anyway?

Seems weird to me that ANY team would have the same fielded team with delistings, trades, drafting etc. A team would literally have to retire no one, de list no one, trade no one, and draft no one.

So really, this thread is pretty stupid.

Last edited:

Seems weird to me that ANY team would have the same fielded team with delistings, trades, drafting etc. A team would literally have to retire no one, de list no one, trade no one, and draft no one.

I think this has only happened once, ever - it was in another thread popped up like this last year. Here --

Only one combination in the history of VFL/AFL football has reappeared in a different season - the Western Bulldogs' 22 of Round 10, 2005, which played together again in Rounds 1 & 2, 2006.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this has only happened once, ever - it was in another thread popped up like this last year. Here --
I wonder if this stat only dates back to 1998 when the 4th interchange player was introduced? Ron The Bear

If it is the only time in AFL/VFL history, even more remarkable that is occured so recently rather then back when teams had only 1 or 2 on the bench.

Plenty of occasions where all premiership players are still playing the following year, Richmond in 2018 for example had all premiership players go around again let alone a single team from any game the previous year not all being around the following year. You don’t find it amazing in 120 years it’s only happened a couple of times?

Only once since 1897.
For some perspective, a few stats on the players who played or missed those games which show how extraordinary this is:

- Players who played in 2005 but missed round 10: Ray (played 14 games in 2005 out of a possible 22), Birrs (12), Street (11), Rawlings (10), Faulkner (8), Bowden (8), Bandy (7), Darcy (6) plus 5 others who played 5 or less.
- Players who played in 2006 but missed rounds 1 & 2: Street (played 21 games in 2006 out of a possible 24), Ray (21), Montgomery (17), Wight (8) plus a 7 others who played 5 or less.
- Players who featured in those 3 games but played less than half of the games in either season: Morgan (only 4 games in 2005 and 3 in 2006), Skipper (9 games in 2005), Bob Murphy (9 games in 2006), Power (10 games in 2005), Hahn (11 games in 2006)

Across both seasons Farren Ray played 35 games of a possible 46 and missed all 3 of these matches, Peter Street played 32 and missed them too. On the other hand, Adam Morgan played just 7 games across both seasons but featured in all of the 3 matches.

On their own none of these player statistics are at all remarkable, but the fact they all needed to coincide for this to have occured shows just how amazing it is and why its only happened once before.

Obviously nowhere near as extreme but it reminds me of the incredible number of unique ways to shuffle a deck of cards. Little wonder no premiership side has never again played before given it's so difficult to get a 22 from any team in any round to play together again in another season.

Would be interesting to know how many times any club has fielded an identical 22 from one year to the next, let alone a premiership side.

With injuries, form, retirements and trading, I'd guess it would be extremely rare.
It would have happened though IMO, especially during the old days, debutants were rare in those days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back