pumped

Club Legend
Apr 20, 2004
Northcote
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
I was talking to my father this morning about the last Carlton loss. He lives in NSW now and didn't get to see the game. We have had differences of opinion over Denis Pagan's coaching but today agreed for the first time.

My father played footy way back and when I started playing told me that 'HE WHO HESITATES IS LOST'. He played his footy to this philosophy and throughout my career I endeavoured to do the same.

I explained to my father that the Carlton players were hesitating but that it was not all their fault. That early in the game when they go to kick down field no one is there. We both put ourselves in their shoes and realised how hard it would be to play instinctive footy under these circumstances. That once this happened once or twice the natural reaction for the rest of the game would be to think before disposing of the ball which causes at least momentry hesitation. They may be lost at the moment but if they lose hesitation and play from the heart they will find themselves togeather as a team.

The other aspect of Carlton's play that inhibits instictive flow is with regards to the fear that players play under. I believe Denis is more feared than respected by players. Some react to this with agression going back to Denis, others become submissive and lacking in passion. Once again I believe that any of us playing under fear would be thinking too much and once again creating hesitation.

The solution I believe is for Carlton to not follow any modern day trend such as flooding. Our primary concern should be to get the players and the coach back to enjoying the game.To try and maintain a structure where at least 4-5 forwards stay home. Further to keep instructions simple. ie; To take responsibility for a man and to attack the ball with passion whenever the ball is in dispute or in our control.

I also believe that Denis should take a good look inside to see if he does lead from fear. If he does he needs to take steps to balance his personality and start to reach his players with his wisdom and not from fear or frustration. Further I believe the players need to be open and honest with Denis. To face their own fears and look deeper to realise that Denis is not as tough as he acts. To find the good in Denis and start to communicate with him more as an equal.

I know as a child I did have some fear of my father. If I made a mistake and he berated me I would carry guilt and not learn the lesson or perform to my best. I believe the same with players and coaches. Players are adults and should demand and earn respect from the coach just as he should do with them.

Carlton has Denis Pagan and Denis has the list he has. My heart felt belief is that if Denis and the players go back to basics..if they find the passion of life again and play with enjoyment instead of competing with and fearing eachother that they can start to build this great club back to where it belongs.

pumped said:
I was talking to my father this morning about the last Carlton loss. He lives in NSW now and didn't get to see the game. We have had differences of opinion over Denis Pagan's coaching but today agreed for the first time.

My father played footy way back and when I started playing told me that 'HE WHO HESITATES IS LOST'. He played his footy to this philosophy and throughout my career I endeavoured to do the same.

I explained to my father that the Carlton players were hesitating but that it was not all their fault. That early in the game when they go to kick down field no one is there. We both put ourselves in their shoes and realised how hard it would be to play instinctive footy under these circumstances. That once this happened once or twice the natural reaction for the rest of the game would be to think before disposing of the ball which causes at least momentry hesitation. They may be lost at the moment but if they lose hesitation and play from the heart
they will find themselves togeather as a team.

The other aspect of Carlton's play that inhibits instictive flow is with regards to the fear that players play under. I believe Denis is more feared than respected by players. Some react to this with agression going back to Denis, others become submissive and lacking in passion. Once again I believe that any of us playing under fear would be thinking too much and once again creating hesitation.

The solution I believe is for Carlton to not follow any modern day trend such as flooding. Our primary concern should be to get the players and the coach back to enjoying the game.To try and maintain a structure where at least 4-5 forwards stay home. Further to keep instructions simple. ie; To take responsibility for a man and to attack the ball with passion whenever the ball is in dispute or in our control.

I also believe that Denis should take a good look inside to see if he does lead from fear. If he does he needs to take steps to balance his personality and start to reach his players with his wisdom and not from fear or frustration. Further I believe the players need to be open and honest with Denis. To face their own fears and look deeper to realise that Denis is not as tough as he acts. To find the good in Denis and start to communicate with him more as an equal.

I know as a child I did have some fear of my father. If I made a mistake and he berated me I would carry guilt and not learn the lesson or perform to my best. I believe the same with players and coaches. Players are adults and should demand and earn respect from the coach just as he should do with them.

Carlton has Denis Pagan and Denis has the list he has. My heart felt belief is that if Denis and the players go back to basics..if they find the passion of life again and play with enjoyment instead of competing with and fearing eachother that they can start to build this great club back to where it belongs.

See my No Structure No Leadership post, only problem with the players not fearing Dennis is that players from the Kangaroos still fear him now ala Glenn Archer and if he fears him what hope have our youing players got.:D

Hi Murphster,

Thanks for your reply. Whilst it could be true that some North players still fear him I still believe that he can evolve as a person and a coach.

I suspect that even Kouta may be wary to speak his mind around him. However this is a shared problem not just Denis'. For what it is worth I believe Denis and Kouta have similar levels of charisma/power but are both less than secure. One projects this as toughness the other in a submissive or defeated sort of way.

Personally I believe that we have a captain and coach who could learn much from each other. If they worked togeather as equals they could turn the club around.

Best Wishes Tony/Pumped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back