Andrew Gaff vs Steele Sidebottom

Andrew Gaff vs Steele Sidebottom

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Good comparison. Steele has extra time under his belt but his 1st couple of years were outstanding for his big game performances when the pressure was on. Gaff's 1st 2 seasons have been consistent and he shows some special skills at times. Steele just because longer duration and near Norm Smith medal plus other finals stuff. Career end could easily change

Really good comparison actually. Sidebottom for now, for sure. Over the course of their careers who knows? Both have extremely similar attributes, but Gaff might have a bit more pace off the mark.

Gaff easily for mine, He is another Swan and will just get the ball at will when he fully develops.

Sidebottom has a more well rounded game (better on opposite side, better overhead, better inside, though this might change as Gaff bulks up) but has the glaring weakness of genuine slowness. Tough to split them.

Sidebottom had a great start to this year but really dropped off midyear and had a disappointing second half. If not I would have had Sidebottom ahead of Gaff, but as a second year player Gaff just keeps producing some quality footy.

It's one for another couple of years I think. I can't really split them because Sidebottom has 2 more years on Gaff, yet has disappointed at times.

On pure talent they are quite different - Sidebottom is slow but one of the smartest players in the league with his running patterns and time and poise and FWIW is far more inside than Gaff. Sidebottom's tackling is also far more advanced as one of the Pies' best. Gaff has that outside ability like few others, with great speed and fantastic disposal, his development will come down to whether he can cop a tag I think, because he is probably the most damaging outside player bar Jetta.

Both good players but I couldn't tell you who I want long term. Right now obviously Sidebottom has the rungs on the board due to his experience, but that doesn't mean much. Sidey also has the better name.

Good poll, two of my favourite young players in the league, just glad we have one of em :)

Sidebottom a little more inside with better defensive qualities and stronger overhead. Plus he can go forward and kick a few goals.

At this stage, Sidebottom, but once Gaff bulks up and works on his defensive side, my opinion may well change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

as far as SC went this year, Sidebottom was a good choice ;)

seriously though, they are both quality players with some different attributes as spelt out above. for me though i just think Gaff has that extra touch of class and skill, which we will start to see alot more of next year. i would happily take either though!

Sidebottom's all round game is better than Gaff's at this stage.

His creativity is that something "special" that can set him apart from other players.

On their careers so far, I'd go with Sidebottom. As others have mentioned, however, this may well change once their careers are over.

The other problem is, for the Eagles to have got Sidebottem, they would have had to use the pick 2 that they had that year; thereby giving up Natanui.

Back