Society/Culture Andrew Thorburn - Controversial appointment as Essendon CEO. Broader discussion not for the AFL board..

Remove this Banner Ad

not exactly. There is a difference between Pentecostalism and the prosperity gospel as seen with churches like hillsong
Look I'm totally sure it's possible there's one non-campaignery pentecostal church out there, but it's infinitely more likely that you're just far too deep in the cult to see what's in front of you.

the thing that stands out with hillsong is the focus on money and success. This is a relatively new focus of a few church models
I'm speaking from personal experience with Pentecostal churches, just like The Cryptkeeper. Nothing to do with that Sydney church of which I've only heard about indirectly.

a church or a number of them?
Is this the long road to my eventual confession and your vindication to me having not been involved with every single Pentecostal church? Like I said, it's possible there's an outlier one out there that went down the campaignery Pentecostal path but somehow managed to not be like all the others but I'll believe it when I see it.

Is this the long road to my eventual confession and your vindication to me having not been involved with every single Pentecostal church? Like I said, it's possible there's an outlier one out there that went down the campaignery Pentecostal path but somehow managed to not be like all the others but I'll believe it when I see it.
it wasnt a difficult question. Have you experienced a number of different chrismatic church types, or just 1?

it wasnt a difficult question. Have you experienced a number of different chrismatic church types, or just 1?
Several Pentecostal churches but not every single one of them. Like I said, campaigner factories. God for sociopaths and other nasty w***ers.

why has discussion turned into a christian bashing session?
I haven’t bashed you, you brought up this “god” of yours and I wanted to know 3 of its characteristics.
If you invoke it, I will question it.

“They’re asking questions, I’m persecuted…..”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll admit to not pouring over the 20+ pages, but….

Isn’t this essentially (in part) what the Christian right campaigned for during Scomo’s religious discrimination act... the right to hire and fire based on personal preference and/or belief?

Essendon simply acted in line with the same principled stance that a private school would've taken when dismissing a gay teacher. A stance, in that instance, presumably Andrew Thorburn would have supported.

Im fine with questions. Cant see how yours relates to the topic though
You said “god believes”, I have a plethora of questions based on that statement, I thought I’d break it down into one small facet of belief versus physics and reality.
It’s very relevant to the conversation, I don’t care what is written in the bible or the Torah/Pentateuch, god had no part in their creation, men wrote those books, human men, I care about what’s real, so name 3 characteristics that this god of yours exhibits?

Both are bad. One has no control over the organisation. The other is at the top of it.

Do you understand?
One has demonstrated through action they believe homosexuals to be inferior while the other hasn't afaik. ;)

Is there any reason to think Thorburn's beliefs would interfere with his ability to perform his duties as CEO?
We have every reason to know Zreika's beliefs interfere with her ability to perform her duties as a professional football player, as she has repeatedly demonstrated.

I have zero sympathy for either person or their antiquated views though I can't see how anyone can objectively say Thorburn's actions are worse.

If someone doesn't agree with the values of their employer, they should look for other employment.

That's your definition of the language used - of course when people say they are "inclusive" they don't mean they will include everyone even people with abhorrent views or acts. They're not going to include child abusers for example are they? It's the conventional use of the word term, inclusion of people who do not preach inflicting harm on others or limiting the rights/freedoms of others.
Of course not, that is captain obvious statement, except to the >idiots< who are actually part of the 'everyone' who may misunderstand / misuse what groups mean when they say 'inclusive of everyone'

Again, another captain obvious statement except to the >idiots< who are actually part of the 'everyone' who may misunderstand / misuse what groups mean when they say 'inclusive of everyone'

I looked up the dictionary term, so it's not my definition.

Do you understand now? It can be misused purely because the language is contradictory.

Saying that a large group of humans are going to burn in hell because of the way that they were born is promoting hate.
But if you read some of the things atheists say about God to the religious then an atheist homosexual would just laugh at anyone mentioning Hell wouldn’t they? If a religious homosexual doesn’t like what some faith teaches about his lifestyle then he can do a Thorburn and choose between his faith and lifestyle.

One has demonstrated through action they believe homosexuals to be inferior while the other hasn't afaik. ;)

Is there any reason to think Thorburn's beliefs would interfere with his ability to perform his duties as CEO?
We have every reason to know Zreika's beliefs interfere with her ability to perform her duties as a professional football player, as she has repeatedly demonstrated.

I have zero sympathy for either person or their antiquated views though I can't see how anyone can objectively say Thorburn's actions are worse.

If someone doesn't agree with the values of their employer, they should look for other employment.
Money that's the difference. Thorburn stays at Essendon members and sponsors walk and they lose a ton of money, one player from GWS women's team boycotting the Pride isn't going to have the same effect. That why these Christians and right wingers are all up in arms, it's just another demonstration of just how out of step they are, they're watching their influence not only diminish but their bigotry now actually has a cost. Their beloved free market is what they would call woke and man are they dirty about it.

Of course not, that is captain obvious statement, except to the >idiots< who are actually part of the 'everyone' who may misunderstand / misuse what groups mean when they say 'inclusive of everyone'

Again, another captain obvious statement except to the >idiots< who are actually part of the 'everyone' who may misunderstand / misuse what groups mean when they say 'inclusive of everyone'

I looked up the dictionary term, so it's not my definition.

Do you understand now? It can be misused purely because the language is contradictory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back