News Andrew Thorburn is retaining legal counsel for wrongful termination by the Essendon Football Club. NOW WITH BIG BANGS

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, everytime I'm made to look hypocritical I'll call it "whataboutism". It's a perfect plan.
Did they put the woman in charge? No.

Do I think that woman should have been allowed to do that? No.

At least show us supporting people of equivalent levels of power doing the same thing in order to pretend it's hypocrisy to object to this appointment.

PS: God isn't real.

the fact that he was given the @rse from his role at NAB after is was "discovered" that they were ripping people off.

Very fair criticism. How long does one need to be punished for making bad decisions in their workplace? Are they forever unemployable?

God forbid any of these posters have ever ****ed up at work...

So if a gay man mentions going out for dinner with his partner to a colleague, he is an attention whore because “no one needs to know about it?”

That's normal behaviour though isn't it.

That's not the issue.

The issue is when you never shut the up about it.

It's no different to the douchebag who comes into work on Mondays and tells everyone all the women he shagged on the weekend.

Nobody gives a crap about clowns like that because nobody cares who he's dating or doing. And the longer they keep waffling on about it the closer someone will be to telling them to shut it.

yes it is.....

That's literally saying if i support Thorburn i would support Hitler..

do better.
You need to look up the meaning of the word "literally".

i dont really care if you want to have a crack at him because of what came about following the royal commission. That's reasonably fair game.

Saying the bloke should be sacked, based on his personal views of a church he goes too, when he openly says he does not agree with all of them is just about being woke.
Would be handy if someone was able to point to anything to suggest that he has tried to drive a change in culture/philosophy/approach at the church in his role as chair. If he disagrees so strongly with these views, what is he doing as leader to change them?

Just saying "I don't agree with that" means SFA when you're in charge and not doing anything to change it.

Well I was one of many posters who criticised Haneen Zrieka's position.

The issue isn't so much that Thorburn follows the religion - he's the chair of the church. So while he should be commended for NAB's support, has his church done the same thing? Has he advocated for change within his church? There are plenty of religious organisations that are accepting of different sexual preferences.

Are you the chair of that church?

wtf does my position have to do with it, if i still disagree with the views?

Should we not be looking at a track record around promoting inclusivity rather than just what position he holds within a church?

You are just arguing optics rather than fundamentals.

What a strange response.

Talk about it as much as you like among family and friends but if you think work colleagues or strangers need to know it then you are either a narcissist or an attention seeker.

Which could be the case given the whole social media look at me phenomenon that's become a thing.

Do you understand the history of minority persecution and why public education and acceptance is necessary?

So anyone that goes to church is a bigot?

Anyone is a position of authority in Australia that is a Christian should be ousted from their jobs. Even if they dont necessarily agree with everything written in the bible.
So anyone that goes to church is a bigot?

Anyone is a position of authority in Australia that is a Christian should be ousted from their jobs. Even if they dont necessarily agree with everything written in the bible.
Difference is it’s not just a regular church and his not just regular churchgoer . Like it or not in positions of authority you get held to a higher set of standards.

Was that one player responsible for driving the culture and direction of the football club? Talk about comparing apples and oranges.
Yes the AFLW players straight out homophobic response should be seen as worse compared to hiring someone who has always created an inclusive working environment in the past. IF you read the interview he explains it quite well, he isn't the pastor giving sermons. His beliefs to me sound inclusive.

This theory that everyone that goes to church is a massive homophobe is strange and is seems like the people saying this have no idea what it is like and why people go there.

The issue for him I would think would the royal commission findings rather than his church.

Would be handy if someone was able to point to anything to suggest that he has tried to drive a change in culture/philosophy/approach at the church in his role as chair. If he disagrees so strongly with these views, what is he doing as leader to change them?

Just saying "I don't agree with that" means SFA when you're in charge and not doing anything to change it.

FWIW he's commented as to his role at said Church;

I’m not a pastor, my job in a governance role is to make sure it’s run well.

go look at what he did at NAB if you want a track record of what he actually promotes as a leader within an organisation in regards to inclusivity in the workplace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's normal behaviour though isn't it.

That's not the issue.

The issue is when you never shut the up about it.

It's no different to the douchebag who comes into work on Mondays and tells everyone all the women he shagged on the weekend.

Nobody gives a crap about clowns like that because nobody cares who he's dating or doing. And the longer they keep waffling on about it the closer someone will be to telling them to shut it.
That was fun back in the 90s when just being out was a bit of political act in itself. Now only people like you really care so it's not really worth it.

Precisely. It’s not good enough, nor plausible

He might have been the best candidate
Apparently the best candidate can only have extreme left thinking views

You know the lets cut out intolerance by banning anyone who doesn't share our kinda views

Silly comparison.
Abundant manuscript evidence, archaeological evidence etc.
Followers dying for their belief in the resurrection who were there to 100% know if it was true or not.
Writings within lifetime of eye witnesses.

These sorts of comparisons show ignorance in regards to the historical method 🤦🏼‍♂️
Even sceptics like Bart Ehrnan would never make such a misguided comparison!
Jesus walking on water
Jesus being magically reborn
The whole world is the process of incest from Adam and Eve
People used to live for ever till they pissed off God

It's clearly a fairytale

Very fair criticism. How long does one need to be punished for making bad decisions in their workplace? Are they forever unemployable?

God forbid any of these posters have ever *ed up at work...
When you're the head honcho and allow/encourage this to occur, then fail to take responsibility for it (he "resigned" after fighting tooth and nail to stay in the job) then I'd say that would be a permanent black mark.

Maybe not completely unemployable, but I daresay completely unemployable as the leader of an organisation.

Anyone also believe Saad and Hoult are homophobic and sexist for believing in a religion which stones gays and de-values women?

Anyone going to call out Islam, or people only going to attack Christians?
Good attempt at deflection (one which has already been tried in this thread), but nonetheless deflection.

bit shocked at how many people are suprised by this, WASP's make up basically the entire ceo / right wing political class

Do they?

I bet I could find countless examples of non Anglo-Saxon people in positions of power that don't fit your assertion.

The Irish, the Scots, the Dutch, the Germans, the Italians, the French the Greeks etc etc.

go look at what he did at NAB if you want a track record of what he actually promotes as a leader within an organisation in regards to inclusivity in the workplace.
And at the church? All he has said today is that he doesn't subscribe to those views, not that he is planning on doing anything to drive a change in culture there.

They missed out "or whether you give at all".

Also they forgot to mention God is not real.
The bible is based on a story of a girl getting knocked up after a loose night at the pub and going oh yeah god got me pregnant

Remove this Banner Ad

Back