News Andrew Thorburn is retaining legal counsel for wrongful termination by the Essendon Football Club. NOW WITH BIG BANGS

Remove this Banner Ad

People arguing those with right of centre, conservative, beliefs having no right to be in public life is just as obscene and wrong as if anyone said progressive left of centre people don't belong here. This is grotesque demonisation over political differences. It has never been the Australian way. Labor and Liberals have always debated the issues but there has never been this type of effort to destroy people's careers over differences. I don't care if you are left wing or right wing, but this americanisation of our politics where anything and everything becomes about politics is a toxic sick habit.

Difference is Putin is demonstrably a war monger through his actions and direct comments.

Thorburn meanwhile has only ever spoken publicly in support of LGBTQIA+ rights that I've seen...

Dont worry. Thorburn was also compared to Hitler earlier. So i guess Putin was a minor improvement.

SO all Germans should resign from their jobs. You know, because they are German.

this is a complete non issue.

As long as the club itself have all the support mechanisms in place for the LGBTQIA+ community what does it matter what the personal opinions of the CEO make?

Unless he starts dissolving what Essendon does for the community this is just political crap.

Moronic take. Probably half the Essendon aflw are gay/bi/non binary and you have the head on their organisation being anti-gay rights? And you think this is okay? Just another religious nut job who uses religion as a shield for their bigoted and hateful views.

People arguing those with right of centre, conservative, beliefs having no right to be in public life is just as obscene and wrong as if anyone said progressive left of centre people don't belong here. This is grotesque demonisation over political differences. It has never been the Australian way. Labor and Liberals have always debated the issues but there has never been this type of effort to destroy people's careers over differences. I don't care if you are left wing or right wing, but this americanisation of our politics where anything and everything becomes about politics is a toxic sick habit.

Being anti-gay is no longer tolerated and that’s not a political view. Imagine if he was anti indigenous people and u said “oh my god it’s just a political opinion… free speech… don’t destroy his career derp derp”

Moronic take. Probably half the Essendon aflw are gay/bi/non binary and you have the head on their organisation being anti-gay rights? And you think this is okay? Just another religious nut job who uses religion as a shield for their bigoted and hateful views.
What is moronic is conflating gay rights, womens rights, and trans rights when those are often contradictory.

You have absolutely no idea if he is Anti Gay. He has literally said he does not agree with everything the Church does.

How is he a religious nut job anymore than anyone else who goes to church is?

Thorburn is chairman of City on a Hill, a church that condemns homosexuality and is staunchly anti-abortion.
What the hell were Essendon thinking?
The AFL is really starting to stink.

Well, is it illegal or bad to be a Christian now? No one batted an eyelid when Bachar Houli was appointed to the AFL's Multicultural Ambassador role.
He is a "devout" muslim. I'm guessing he would share similar views as old mate at Essendon.

Who gives a flying *. They are entitled to do their jobs and believe whatever the hell they want.

Did you claim the AFL stunk back then?

I'm no Christian nor Muslim either. The hypocrisy of this s**t stinks though.

I hope Essendon tell everyone complaining to go and * themselves

this is a complete non issue.

As long as the club itself have all the support mechanisms in place for the LGBTQIA+ community what does it matter what the personal opinions of the CEO make?

Unless he starts dissolving what Essendon does for the community this is just political crap.
You're the only poster on this thread defending this bigot.
He leads a bigoted church which compared abortion to concentration camps according to channel 7.
The church is against abortions for rape victims. Are you?

Saying the bloke should be sacked, based on his personal views of a church he goes too, when he openly says he does not agree with all of them is just about being woke.
He is the frkn chairman......you make out he simply pops in on occasions.

Which parts of the churches preaching does he not agree with. Does he disagree with ant LGBT, does he disagree with anti abortion? Sound like a catch all comment to make him come accross all inclusive.

Best if he steps down and runs for PM.

All religion is loopy i mean Muhammad had a 6 year old wife, i would rather we distance ourselves from all religions the made sense before science was a thing but now we can explain everything there is no need in this modern day and age to believe in religion

You're the only poster on this thread defending this bigot.
He leads a bigoted church which compared abortion to concentration camps according to channel 7.
The church is against abortions for rape victims. Are you?

i'm clearly not the only one.

So what you are saying is that Christians & Muslims cant practice religion at all. Even if they disagree with parts of the bible, and the church's view on it.

is that right?

Something new to be outraged about!

Celebrate We The Best GIF by Booksmart

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly miss the days when I used to love this club and support it whole-heartedly.

Hopefully something akin to the Hawks for Change group exists at the Bombers. Take back some control over your club. You deserve a say in how it's run as much as anyone.

Look, I'm of the view that everyone's entitled to follow whatever religion they like. I have family and friends that are religious. Good for them. But it's a pretty bad look to have a CEO that's so committed to a group that is so obviously regressive. And I'd be saying the same thing of anyone from ANY religion that espoused similar views.

He is the frkn chairman......you make out he simply pops in on occasions.

Which parts of the churches preaching does he not agree with. Does he disagree with ant LGBT, does he disagree with anti abortion? Sound like a catch all comment to make him come accross all inclusive.

Best if he steps down and runs for PM.

Why dont you reach out and ask him? Rather than just bashing him when you do not know.

You have absolutely no idea if he is Anti Gay. He has literally said he does not agree with everything the Church does.

Because most churches don't hold such extreme repugnant viewpoints.

Did Essendon know of his background before appointing him or has it come as a shock after the event revelation?

All religion is loopy i mean Muhammad had a 6 year old wife, i would rather we distance ourselves from all religions the made sense before science was a thing but now we can explain everything there is no need in this modern day and age to believe in religion

It’s perfectly reasonable to believe in magic because an old book written by middle eastern peasants says so…

The vast majority of people wouldn't know what someone's sexual preference was unless the person never shut up about telling everyone what it is.

No, most people assume they are heterosexual until told differently. Just shut those gay people up so us normals don't have to be reminded they exist huh? Let's not talk about those BLM people either.

Because most churches don't hold such extreme repugnant viewpoints.

Did Essendon know of his background before appointing him or has it come as a shock after the event revelation?

how the f would i know.

I'm not sure what your level extreme repugnant viewpoints is, but i think you will find most religions have them.

ou have absolutely no idea if he is Anti Gay. He has literally said he does not agree with everything the Church does.

So he's just a religious fraud expousing something he doesn't believe himself.

You can practice Christianity but also disagree with parts of the bible. The guy literally says that he does not agree with everything his church preaches, yet some people in here are literally comparing him to Hitler.
Where?

So he's just a religious fraud expousing something he doesn't believe himself.

I grew up Christian. I went to a school run by brothers. I still go to church though less frequently than i used too, more so on major events like Easter & Christmas.

I do not believe in the views of the bible in regards to about gay people, nor do i believe what it says about women.

Am i a bigot because i am Christian? Or am i not because i dont believe certain parts of the bible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back