Andy Maher - Sorry but I don't get it

Remove this Banner Ad

He made a crude comment about Scarlett Johansson a while ago. There were a couple of complaints sent in about it.
It was a really bad segway into something else but it was along the lines of "speaking of people i'd like to have sex with, Scarlett Johansson's new movies out"
He said something else as well but i don't remember
Crude yes, but I don't see how that would be sexist.

I'm often reminded of this with Andy

tumblr_lkjnj27mQx1qgr9lwo1_400.jpg

Was about to say the exact same thing. Not sure how it's sexist?
It's not sexist at all. If we have to be overly sensitive you could say it's crude and unnecessary given its an afternoon sports show, but other than that I can't see anything wrong with it.

It's not sexist at all. If we have to be overly sensitive you could say it's crude and unnecessary given its an afternoon sports show, but other than that I can't see anything wrong with it.
I didn't say it was sexist.....
But wow ok

You were questioned on the subject of Andy being sexist after you labelled him a sexist person twice and that was your response.
You think reducing a woman to nothing more than an object of his sexual desire isn't sexist?
Really he couldn't think of anything better to say about her than he wants to have sex with her?
I'm sure he could've said he likes her movies or thinks she's a great actress or even saying she's attractive and he will see the movie because of that would be better, not much better but slightly better.
He flat out said he thinks of her than nothing more than a sex object. That's sexist.

Also the fact that this even needs to be explained to you says a lot about your views on objectification of women.

You think reducing a woman to nothing more than an object of his sexual desire isn't sexist?
Really he couldn't think of anything better to say about her than he wants to have sex with her?
I'm sure he could've said he likes her movies or thinks she's a great actress or even saying she's attractive and he will see the movie because of that would be better, not much better but slightly better.
He flat out said he thinks of her than nothing more than a sex object. That's sexist.

Also the fact that this even needs to be explained to you says a lot about your views on objectification of women.
Those are all valid points and I can't think of many people in the media I dislike more than Maher. Also, I didn't find what he said witty, intelligent, or informative at all. It was just a dumb throwaway line that was unnecessary, but not sexist.

About objectifying women, I feel the same about objectifying men....I don't like it. But that has nothing to do with gender.

Never heard what he said but can only go on what you have said happened but you seem to drawing a pretty long bow. It's a silly thing to say on radio but I fail to see how saying that you'd like to have sex with an attractive celebrity is sexist?

Where did he say that he sees her as nothing but a sex object ? I think Scarlett is ridiculously sexy and would love to have sex with her. Does that make me sexist?

Just the once? As I said I have heard him discuss the topic all week and there was no disclosure, in fact it was someone else who mentioned it today, the guy that was on with him and Ro Co I think (forget his name).

i definitely heard disclosure

I didn't. Not saying he didn't disclose but probably should have mentioned it every time it was discussed not just the once.
If people in the media had to disclose a conflict of interest every time they discussed a topic not much would get discussed. Australian sports media is more like a high school clique than an actual profession.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If people in the media had to disclose a conflict of interest every time they discussed a topic not much would get discussed. Australian sports media is more like a high school clique than an actual profession.

Last bit is true. It doesn't mean they can't discuss it just that they ought to disclose. Most times they do disclose though, fully and frequently, even when most people would be aware of the conflict anyway. In this case it did not come to light until a week after he had been discussing it.

Those are all valid points and I can't think of many people in the media I dislike more than Maher. Also, I didn't find what he said witty, intelligent, or informative at all. It was just a dumb throwaway line that was unnecessary, but not sexist.

About objectifying women, I feel the same about objectifying men....I don't like it. But that has nothing to do with gender.
It's got to do with stereotyping women as being alive simply to satisfy men.
I don't really care about this comment, i've moved on considering it was about 2 years ago. I find it ironic however when he gets all uppity and PC about sexist comments such as the Chris Gayle and Mel Mclaughlin when he himself made the comment about Scarlett Johansson. Hence why i find it funny that he is so defensive about Caroline Wilson.
I don't like Andy away from this comment, i find his try hard aussie bloke act embarrassing, considering he is the most private school boy ever and his beat up of every single minority sports person.

I don't really care about this comment, i've moved on considering it was about 2 years ago. I find it ironic however when he gets all uppity and PC about sexist comments such as the Chris Gayle and Mel Mclaughlin when he himself made the comment about Scarlett Johansson. Hence why i find it funny that he is so defensive about Caroline Wilson.
Just two quick points and then I'll leave it because it's not really worth discussing.

-If Andy did say this about two years ago for all we know he may have changed his opinions of what is acceptable and what is not, therefore the hypocrisy wouldn't be so evident, at least to him. It's the same if an ex-smoker speaks out against smoking, people change and we are always learning.

-Second point, I have no issue about the negative truths thrown at Maher, but although it's just a footy forum, to label somebody 'sexist' without any proof is quite harsh. Because again, what he said was crass, but not sexist.

Just two quick points and then I'll leave it because it's not really worth discussing.

-If Andy did say this about two years ago for all we know he may have changed his opinions of what is acceptable and what is not, therefore the hypocrisy wouldn't be so evident, at least to him. It's the same if an ex-smoker speaks out against smoking, people change and we are always learning.

-Second point, I have no issue about the negative truths thrown at Maher, but although it's just a footy forum, to label somebody 'sexist' without any proof is quite harsh. Because again, what he said was crass, but not sexist.
Two points because I don't really think you're worth arguing with. You've made up your mind about sexism and I can see that's not gonna change
-That's your opinion if you don't think it's sexist. I've explained to you why I think it is. But thank you for correcting me with your compelling arguements:rolleyes:. It's a lot more than crasse.
-I wasn't asking you to care about the comment. I was asked about it and I explained the comment I heard and took offence to. There was no need for you to reply nor do I think it was appropriate for you question why I took offence to it or why I believed it was sexist. If you don't understand, get an education.
But thank you for this lovely chat

Two points because I don't really think you're worth arguing with. You've made up your mind about sexism and I can see that's not gonna change
-That's your opinion if you don't think it's sexist. I've explained to you why I think it is. But thank you for correcting me with your compelling arguements:rolleyes:. It's a lot more than crasse.
-I wasn't asking you to care about the comment. I was asked about it and I explained the comment I heard and took offence to. There was no need for you to reply nor do I think it was appropriate for you question why I took offence to it or why I believed it was sexist. If you don't understand, get an education.
But thank you for this lovely chat
Arguing? No arguing, not even a debate. If you found what Maher said offensive that's your issue and it's fine. But the only point I wanted to make is that someone wanted an example of him being sexist, and your example wasn't sexist. A better example of sexism on SEN would be the ad they play where the female says to a male "Have a real look, not a man-look", insinuating that men are poor at finding things. It's sexist but really who cares, nearly all advertisements have the women play the savvy intelligent role while the male is the unlettered yobo prone to gambling and drinking. But we don't complain, we move on.

Last edited:
http://speakola.com/wedding/emma-race-andy-maher-2009

Why this is online is anyone's guess

But it appears they are both flogs.

Imagine what their kids will be like.

Yes it's a slow day at work.
That is the most awful thing i have ever read.

"Our first date kicked off with Andy talking me through the benefits of Metamucil. It was an interesting approach, but it clearly won me over because, you had me at Hoo Roo."

"Our first date kicked off with Andy talking me through the benefits of Metamucil. It was an interesting approach, but it clearly won me over because, you had me at Hoo Roo."

"I Knackers take you Shags to be your lawfully wedded guru."

XI9HAh.gif

well, he certainly gives me the shits

Remove this Banner Ad

Back