Anyone else happy to be playing Saints this week?

Remove this Banner Ad

We've go absolutely nothing to lose.
Saints have been the best team in the comp. We come out firing, lay 70 to 80 tackles, beat them on the great expanses of the "G"!
We lose and everyone will be writing us off and the result has gone according to the script.
When we beat them, the rest of the comp will be shaking in their boots!
BRING IT ON!

GO PIES!!!!!!!

i am more than happy to be taking on the saints. geel have been waiting for the start of this sept for 11 months. they haven't played in a game with anything riding on it for 2 months. the dogs won the booby prize on sun evening. geel will be ready to explode on sat arvo even without s johnson. they will make a complete mess of the poor old dogs

the saints on the other hand i do not see as being as formidable as the cats. whilst they have been on fire this year the saints team is full of players who have folded under the september spotlight in the past. i can't see why this year, and this sunday, will be any different esp at the G

I'm with you on this one. The Cats have been treading water since they lost to the Saints, resting players on and off since then, and managing their injuries to be just right for the finals, and they would love being written off, and would have hated seeing how the Dogs celebrated after winning on Sunday. They are monties to win on Saturday.

As for the Saints, they were up for 19 weeks, playing high intensity, tough tackling footy, i'm hoping that has taken it's toll on the players! I'm not going to write them off yet, but I reckon deep down the Pies were more than happy to get the 7 day break, playing at our home ground, against an unproven team in September. If we wanted to play the cats, im sure the intensity of the guys would have been much higher against the Dogs, and more tackles would have been laid. We seemed to be down on effort as opposed to the previous few months since round 8.

i am more than happy to be taking on the saints. geel have been waiting for the start of this sept for 11 months. they haven't played in a game with anything riding on it for 2 months. the dogs won the booby prize on sun evening. geel will be ready to explode on sat arvo even without s johnson. they will make a complete mess of the poor old dogs

the saints on the other hand i do not see as being as formidable as the cats. whilst they have been on fire this year the saints team is full of players who have folded under the september spotlight in the past. i can't see why this year, and this sunday, will be any different esp at the G

13/09/2008

Semi-Final
MCG
St Kilda Saints 17.4
(106) -

(72) Collingwood Magpies

short memories on this board...

Yeah, because that is relevant :confused:

responding to this:

what a load of rubbish that is. you blokes live with your heads in the sand. given recent saints v pies matches you have little reason to think yourselves favourites. But keep telling yourselves you're better if it makes you happy.

given recent saints v pies matches you have little reason to think yourselves favourites. But keep telling yourselves you're better if it makes you happy.
Who says we want to be favourites??

We'd rather just win. :D

responding to this:

what a load of rubbish that is. you blokes live with your heads in the sand. given recent saints v pies matches you have little reason to think yourselves favourites. But keep telling yourselves you're better if it makes you happy.

Ahh didn't read that. Well, that is not very relevant either.

Can't wait for this game, wish Sunday would hurry up!

13/09/2008
Semi-Final MCG
St Kilda Saints 17.4 (106) -

9.18 (72) Collingwood Magpies

short memories on this board...
In Round 22 last year, Collingwood travelled to Perth to play Freo. The following week Collingwood travelled to Adelaide to become the youngest team to win a final since Brisbane in 2000. Collingwood then had six more scoring shots and more inside-50's than St.Kilda in the Semi Final, but they were never going to win that match without Heath Shaw and Alan Didak in the team. The preparation for that match was as bad as it could possibly be, but it is definitely much better this time around. Collingwood beat St.Kilda twice last year and it can happen again.
should be a cracker, love playing the pies at the 'G!
You do? St.Kilda rarely play at the 'G,' and when they do, they have an average record. Collingwood has won five of the last seven matches against St.Kilda at the M.C.G, and St.Kilda has not beaten a top-4 team there since Round 15. 2004.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selective analysis on here, what has been the incentive for us to continue winning since securing top spot as opposed to Geelong?

Selective analysis on here, what has been the incentive for us to continue winning since securing top spot as opposed to Geelong?
I'm not sure which post you're responding to, but I'm completely aware that St.Kilda hasn't had a lot of incentive to keep winning for quite a long time now, apart from attempting to go undefeated. Top spot had been secured quite a while ago, and top-2 had been secured even longer ago. They've definitely been playing with a first week Qualifying Final on their mind and not wanting to get injured.

Collingwood on the other hand have been trying to correct a poor start to the season when we were 3 wins and 5 losses after Round 8. A spot in the top-4 is all that mattered at that time, whether that be 3rd or 4th spot. Many people thought that was highly unlikely at the time because Collingwood were 11th and two games and percentage behind 4th.

In Round 20, Collingwood secured a spot in the top-4, and were in 3rd spot after the Western Bulldogs were unexpectedly beaten by West Coast for a second time this season the previous week. Collingwood's intensity has dropped off in the last two weeks as well though which is understandable after coming from so far back, and they played as though they were trying to maintain their injury free list against the Bulldogs.

That said, I do feel that Collingwood has had a better preparation for finals by playing more tough matches that has meant something in the past couple of months, while St.Kilda has not been playing any in that time. They've been waiting a while for the finals to begin though, so surely they will lift now, but time will tell if they can simply flick on a switch against a more hardened team that is far more accustomed to the M.C.G.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back