Are we sleeping on WCE?

Remove this Banner Ad

Should be a genuine shot with their 11 home games.

Imagine that for a luxury.
Luxury? You want to know what a luxury is?

Geelong playing 16 games in Melbourne in 2017.

Geelong staying in Melbourne for 5 straight rounds (R2-R6)

Geelong will be lucky to make the 8 tbh, last year had the softest draw in the league due to their previous year's 10th place and will be shown up for the chumps they are. Having a Scott brother as coach just seals the deal.

Geelong will be lucky to make the 8 tbh, last year had the softest draw in the league due to their previous year's 10th place and will be shown up for the chumps they are. Having a Scott brother as coach just seals the deal.
They also had the best record of anyone against top 8 sides.
You see any Aussie flags in here? lol
How is that relevant?

You're severely underrating Lycett here. Bloke may not be a top 10 ruck in the game but I'd take him ahead of any other second genuine ruck in the comp.
Actually wouldn't trade Lobb for him. But I keep coming back to the fact they beat the Crows at home in a critical game for both clubs without Nic Nat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually wouldn't trade Lobb for him. But I keep coming back to the fact they beat the Crows at home in a critical game for both clubs without Nic Nat.
Lobb is a better player, but I meant as a pure ruck, not forward/ruck like Lobb is.

You're severely underrating Lycett here. Bloke may not be a top 10 ruck in the game but I'd take him ahead of any other second genuine ruck in the comp.

My understanding was that Lycett would be making a late start to the season, not available for the first few rounds ?.

This is the $64 000 question, with NN out ( at least most of season ) and Lycett being unavailable, how will this affect the Eagles ?.

In 2015, most of the Eagles players had career best performances. In 2016, I could count on one hand players who deserved their pay cheque. For the Eagles to do really well, most players need to play at least close to career best.

For what it's worth I'm tipping the Eagles for the 6 - 10 group.

My understanding was that Lycett would be making a late start to the season, not available for the first few rounds ?.

This is the $64 000 question, with NN out ( at least most of season ) and Lycett being unavailable, how will this affect the Eagles ?.

In 2015, most of the Eagles players had career best performances. In 2016, I could count on one hand players who deserved their pay cheque. For the Eagles to do really well, most players need to play at least close to career best.

For what it's worth I'm tipping the Eagles for the 6 - 10 group.

16 wins from five contributors. Bodes well.

No one predicts WC successfully every year. When we are favorites to win the flag, we won't make finals, when we are predicted to be top 4, we will finish 12th, when we are predicted to miss the 8, we will play off in the GF

Last edited:
A boring side the Eagles, they're easy to forget about. I think you may be a touch biased lad.
Obviously I think about the Eagles all the time, that said I do sort of recognise this sentiment. Big, stable, moderate club. Insulated media. Sometimes tiresome supporters, though that fits with most clubs to a degree.

I suspect you reference something deeper than that though, and I'm curious as to what that is (I don't hold any mistrust to the idea).

Descriptively, you're looking at:

A high-leaping, robustly contesting, lightning quick 201cm ruckman- one of the most marketable individuals in the game.
Quick, evasive, break-from-stoppages midfielder who is one of the best in the competition at executing kicks off either side, particularly on the move.
Back to back Coleman medalist, who applies admirable ground level support and pressure.
Two Brownlow medallists (admittedly not the most 'dynamic' ones) perched in the midfield. One of them has served as a top three candidate of the competition for the last ten years, won plentiful flags and captained their side to one of them. The other has curly hair.
One of the premier intercepting backmen, who can read the play, launch, and clunk strong grabs all game, taking up a key post as a 24 year-old.
A game style which leans on pressuring the ball-carrier, and being prepared to pounce on their outlet options.

This isn't an appraisal of our whole list, nor is it an indication of how I think the Eagles will perform in 2017 or beyond. I don't think it is too sensationalist to acknowledge these traits as being comparable to or in advance of just about all other sides in the competition (I do think there are more exciting clubs/lists), but if it is a common thought that West Coast are a forgettable side, what do people notice or not notice that might bring this about?

Depends if the older and more talented players want to win or not, there is about 3 of them who I believe just rock up get a pay check and flaunt their footballing title.

List is there despite what anyone thinks however its been there for the past 4 years which is a problem.

If the midfield click which it hasnt for years we will be ok.

The Eagles and Hawks needed to lift their contested ball numbers coming out of 2015 and I'm not so sure that happened last season.

With Nic not putting it down the throat of his running clearance mids, adding to the contested possession count, the numbers will need to lift even further.

Sheed is the hope there

The Eagles and Hawks needed to lift their contested ball numbers coming out of 2015 and I'm not so sure that happened last season.

With Nic not putting it down the throat of his running clearance mids, adding to the contested possession count, the numbers will need to lift even further.

Sheed is the hope there

Isn't Mitchell the main hope?

Sheed and Redden hopefully can also make an impact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back