Opinion Are you invested in this team?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t know where to post this but here is as good as anywhere.

I’ve played, watched and enjoyed footy since I was very small, now almost at 50 I’m finding I can’t stand to watch the game at the highest level anymore... why? Because of how over umpired it is.

Today I watched the Melb / Port game and realised the reason I struggle to watch is because of the way the AFL continues to change rules, making them almost uninterpretable by the umpires. That and the fact that umpires feel it’s their right to influence games with too many decisions...

I’ve found games at the lower levels still seem to follow the spirit of the game but the highest level is too sanitised and over umpired.

Is it just me whinging or is anyone else feeling like this? It’s really killing my enjoyment of the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Fortunately after tonight I felt something after a game for the first time in a while. Feels good in a sick/morbid way.

So many positives tonight. Pretty keen for trade/draft time though.

Because of how over umpired it is.

Is it just me whinging or is anyone else feeling like this? It’s really killing my enjoyment of the game.

I suspect it's part of the push to avoid congestion, but yep. Agree.

I'll also raise another "over", and that's over-coaching.
Thankfully it doesn't look like we're the worst offenders by a long shot, (Saints may as well be [poorly programmed!] robots) but coaches playing an ultra defensive game style to try to limit turnovers makes it horrible to watch at times.

West Coast on Thursday night, 7 goals down at HT but simply refused to kick it anywhere other than deep into their forward pocket for the next hour. (30 or so I50s)

Sure they were missing Darling and Kennedy, but what's the point of limiting the opps ability to score if you can't kick a goal yourself. (when 7 down)?
Makes for an insanely boring game.

Anyway, we at least look to play relatively adventurously (esp. early) but just don't have the skill level to pull it off.
Which unlike some views in this thread means I generally don't find us boring to watch...
...The most frustrating 2 hours of the week by a long way, but never entirely dull.

Investment rating looking better this week

16Chf8s.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back