Autopsy Areas to improve in 2013 other than positional

Remove this Banner Ad

Garlett, probably not. Yarran is probably a tie for me.
Sorry cant agree with this Slash, Yarran doesn't do any where near the amount of courageous acts compared to Armfield in my opinion.

Yes Yazz has him and Curnow for skill, pace and talent but does not come close to either when its time to shepherd, tackle or put your body on the line and I don't even rate Curnow!

Yes Yazz has him and Curnow for skill, pace and talent but does not come close to either when its time to shepherd, tackle or put your body on the line and I don't even rate Curnow!
I reckon they are both pretty average in this area. This discussion is clearly highlighting the amount of softies we have on our team. If Army is high on peoples list of courageous players, its no wonder we got done whenever a team got physical with us.

I reckon they are both pretty average in this area. This discussion is clearly highlighting the amount of softies we have on our team. If Army is high on peoples list of courageous players, its no wonder we got done whenever a team got physical with us.
I agree, we are embarrassingly inept in both physical and mental toughness. MM wont tolerate this and will hopefully turn a few around like he did with Daisy Thomas early in his career.

The discussion did not start out as highlighting the number of softies we have ( - and we have too many), it was you calling Army and Curnow (+ someone else) soft.
WRONG - simply WRONG

The discussion did not start out as highlighting the number of softies we have ( - and we have too many), it was you calling Army and Curnow (+ someone else) soft.
WRONG - simply WRONG
It was gibbs. And we will have to agree to disagree. I used them as examples as to how our team doesnt support each other via sheparding, and bumping for the hard ball - dont think i saw army shepard once this year.

It was gibbs. And we will have to agree to disagree. I used them as examples as to how our team doesnt support each other via sheparding, and bumping for the hard ball - dont think i saw army shepard once this year.

Did not watch nearly enough then. He's as true a one percent player as we have at Carlton.

Getting a good draw for starters would be good. Something like Adelaide's draw seeing as we were a bottom 8 side.

Play st kilda only once please.... Carlton have lost about 15 of the last 17 games against them.
Play hawthorn once only too please.

play melbourne, richmond and gws twice...nothing against those teams, I just think Carlton matches up better against them....

How about on Sunday when he ran 20m to lay a shepherd to give Betts that opportunity to run into an open goal ( eventhough Betts took the shot from 45)

Cue Midnight Oil

Midfield mongrel + No backing away during quarter-time fights. Sick of the typical teams that think they'll have a field-day by going in really hard: Swans, Roos, Bulldogs, Saints....to name a few :D

1. Structure. Been ordinary for years. Starting the get the cattle for the job now. We need to go with three talls and three smalls up forward and at times two talls and 4 smalls when the ruckman rests. Benefits of this have been seen a bit but we need to learn how to use a tall forward line better than we do. Defensive structure needs to consist of 2 KP talls and a medium sized defender who can play tall. We have the cattle to have an ideal structure. We need to be hard to play on and hard to match up on and cause problems for our opposition.

2. Onball clearances and contested ball winning. We struggle to win the clearances and when we do win a clearance it's never really forward of the contest, with forward momentum and rarely are we able to go direct. This needs to be better. Good teams are good at maintaining forward momentum in the contests and maintaining control and we need to do that. More blocking and playing as a team around ruck stoppages. I'd like to see us slow things up a bit, put more influence on stopping the opposition clear the ball, particularly stop them handballing out the back and relieving pressure too easily. I'd like to see our guys charge in from outside the square and see those players clear the ball while the onballers give them time to get in and hit the contest. What we have been doing in there has never really worked.

3. Composure. At times we try to move the footy too quickly and that gets us under pressure and we find ourselves with no where to go. We need to get better at holding it up at the right time, using short sideways kicks, switching the play, holding the ball to draw a man and wait for a runner and maintaining control. The top sides don't move the ball as quick as we try to do. I think this effected our controlled run from behind the ball. Ultra fast ball movement doesn't work when you implement a forward press like we do.

4. Tackling. It went backwards this year. Opposition still get the ball out and get handballs away and slip our tackles. Too many high tackles as well.

5. Strength. We weren't really strong enough this year and we were pushed around, held to easily in tackles and weren't able to win the push and shove, tackle well and handball well when being tackled.

6. Injuries. Perhaps new staff means we do things differently and perhaps this means an improvement in the injuries we get.

7. Run. For a team who's strength is supposed to be run I felt we didn't run and run from behind the footy as well as we can, bar a few like Yarran and Touhy. Defensive run and chasing of opponents was s**t.

8. Attitude and consistency. The way we go about things changes from week to week. There are a few players in our side with a poor attitude who don't work hard enough and play hard enough week in, week out and they need to step up or go.

9. The ruck. We need a ruckman who can take more marks and get lose a bit more around the ground. Kreuzer has been making up for being an ordinary mark with his ground work but he needs to get lose and get a bit more easy footy and take more marks. A ruckman who takes plenty of marks will always be more damaging than one who competes well at ground level and doesn't mark it well. End of the day if every one does their role well we win. Hopefully his marking and running and ability to find it a bit easier improves.

10. Forward functionality. It's been terribly, where we lead and where we look to kick to and the distance our forwards position in relation to where the footy is is questionable.

11. Speciality players. The idea needs to go. We have been hurt in the past by bringing guys like Joseph in to play on the likes of Davey and Milne. You don't bring in an ordinary player just to do a job. You put a good player on these guys and make them defend like we did with Walker on Milne. Good players are that because they read the play and are good at winning the ball so they are hard to play on, even when they are defending. No more bringing in these ultra defensive ordinary players and weakening our team. This is why Carrazzo is such a good tagger.

12. Kicking. It's terrible. We need to do a lot of kicking and do a lot of different sorts of kicking. Field and goal kicking at Carlton is a joke.

If we can land Malthouse, this could turn us into a very very good team. Our list is good. It under performs massively. We just do a lot of things poorly and wrongly and his beliefs and game plan would fit us like a glove. We have a heap of key position players ready to explode. We have some good medium sized kids coming through. We have made some great finds with guys like Bell. Hi hopes for 2013!

It'll be 2013 by the time we finish reading this!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we need to find out and fix why we have so many shoulder problems. I have no idea on physical conditioning but maybe a more enlightened person can make a suggestion eg More or less boxing

Fix the VFL competition. The ridiculous number of byes cruels continuity for development of young players, and even senior ones looking to regain form.
Also reminds me of another important component for success and development.

We need our own stand alone team with full control of what positions our players play in as well as game style so the transition from VFL to AFL is much smoother.

We need our own stand alone team with full control of what positions our players play in as well as game style so the transition from VFL to AFL is much smoother.

Swan replied to this on Tuesday's Blueprint.
What we have is essentially a stand alone team in all but name. It is not a concern to the club.

What we have is essentially a stand alone team in all but name. It is not a concern to the club.
Thanks Stamos, must actually find time to watch that interview in full at some stage.

Do you happen to know if there was any discussion about whether our gameplan or style is similar, perhaps some of our VFL watchers might be able to answer this also.

The AFL should piss the VFL off completely and go back to having a league where the 2nds of each team play the same day as the seniors. Would ba a s**t load easier for clubs to manage their players development.

Thanks Stamos, must actually find time to watch that interview in full at some stage.

Do you happen to know if there was any discussion about whether our gameplan or style is similar, perhaps some of our VFL watchers might be able to answer this also.

In the interview Swan was talking about how Carlton pick all the coaches down there. We give them all the physio stuff they need (equipment and staff) and we select who plays on the field and in what position. We even have 7 or so games down at Visy Park each season. From all this you can assume we get to implement our own game plan etc. Swan was quite happy and content with the control Carlton had at the club.

In the interview Swan was talking about how Carlton pick all the coaches down there. We give them all the physio stuff they need (equipment and staff) and we select who plays on the field and in what position. We even have 7 or so games down at Visy Park each season. From all this you can assume we get to implement our own game plan etc. Swan was quite happy and content with the control Carlton had at the club.
:thumbsu: Thanks, maybe we just need a better game plan then and of course it will certainly improve with less injuries.

I think we need to find out and fix why we have so many shoulder problems. I have no idea on physical conditioning but maybe a more enlightened person can make a suggestion eg More or less boxing

In at least one recent case (Tex Walker), it was a congenital issue, where his shoulder sockets were quite shallow. Not sure if Squidda had the same problem.

In at least one recent case (Tex Walker), it was a congenital issue, where his shoulder sockets were quite shallow. Not sure if Squidda had the same problem.

Think you'll find, barring genetics as stated, the higher collision speeds encountered nowadays is the main contributor. Hip surgery seems to be on the rise too which is probably a combination of the above and the amount of running players do.

One thing that I would love to see the club get right... is playing people in their proper positions and leaving them there... some people are natural defenders, some people are natural forwards and others natural mids.

For too many years now, we have been of the mind set that everyone needs to be a proper utility player capable of playing in more than 1 position.

While some players are capable of this (Waite, Armfield and Yarran) most of the others have their preferred positions and should be left there.

This is something that is a left over from the dark days of the naughties when we didnt have the talented cattle to cover all the positions and we needed to shuffle people around to cover the holes.

This needs to stop and we need to start saying 'right... you're a key defender, we will play you in defence every week' or 'You're a wing, so you play on the wing'

All these utilities/swingmen in the side could actually be hurting us long term... because it takes a bit of time to get used to playing with a certain mindset in regards to the position and having to alter your mindset every other week is not a good thing.

Have a look at the other 'big' clubs... they dont play people out of position as much as we have over the past couple of years and it needs to stop.

While it is good to have a few players who can play multiple positions, I would prefer to see the guys playing in one position week in, week out.

It's called stability

Is Laidler agile enough to play small? Watson not playing on the opposition monster gives us another elite kick aside from Yaz to compliment the tidy kickers in Jamo, Hendo and Laidler. Tuohy needs to find some form again too and we'll be on easy street.

I'd trial Collins on a hbf again and actually give him some games there.

Watson, Jamison, Laidler
Yarran, Henderson, Tuohy
Simpson, Judd, Murphy
Gibbs, Waite, Armfield
Betts, Casboult, Garlett
Kreuzer, McLean, Carrazzo
Robinson, Walker, Scotland, Bell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back