Game Day Around The Grounds - The Prelims

Remove this Banner Ad

And every great Carlton player would be delighted to see Collingwood get beaten. Today wasn't state of origin it was one of our mortal enemies trying to equal our premiership record.
I live for the day when, instead of hoping another team can protect our record for us, we can go out there and set a new benchmark, ascend new heights.

Make our own history, instead of reliving past glory.

Jock the drunk from the local pub could've taken that list to a grand final. That it's taken them this long is more a testament to the players themselves grabbing themselves by the back of their shirt and getting their s**t together, even if their medical department won't.

Is their list construction all that different to the West Coast Eagles, who basically were gifted a very talented WA State of Origin squad ?

Also given the fact they won 2 finals on the road from 6th position on the ladder and has 3 of their best players missing against the Pies, its a terrific effort worthy of the highest praise (in my opinion)

Jock the drunk from the local pub could've taken that list to a grand final. That it's taken them this long is more a testament to the players themselves grabbing themselves by the back of their shirt and getting their s**t together, even if their medical department won't.

It might be time to pay some respect where it's due, as all the same arguments will be thrown at our own list of first rounders when their time comes

It might be time to pay some respect where it's due, as all the same arguments will be thrown at our own list of first rounders when their time comes

Correct. In most cases, top end picks are the most skilled and gifted footballers in the land but as we know talent only takes you so far. What GWS have shown this finals season is the desire and willingness to work hard. That has been missing from their systems. They bring that again on Saturday and they will beat Richmond with talent!

Nah.

They spent literal years getting too much bulk on their players, injuring and reinjuring first round draft picks to see who could take it and how far they could push it, not caring what careers they ruined in the process. They burnt players out trying to fast track them, instead of being patient. What's more, Cameron - of the Leon variety - has demonstrated precisely jack s**t with more talent at his disposal than any other club.

He's gotten a free pass due to injury and people not caring about GWS. How long can you rush players back from injury whilst forcing them to develop faster than is natural for their bodies whilst playing to a gameplan of 'be better than your opponent; Toby, go and wack someone' before someone calls you on it?

Yer commentators on telly and radio were all about how brilliant Pies were in last quarter not a word about how good
Giants had been well stick that up ya Darcy and co go Giants
I don't know about you, but I'm highly content with Collingwood possessing the moral victory...

71392141_1742455055887235_443843947593203712_n.jpg

I agree with many of your sentiments Opine, however GC are still trundling along the seabed despite the vast concessions (maybe even more than GWS) given to them by the AFL, yet GWS are not. There must be other reasons.
Other than the advantages of being a love child, GWS’s current success is due to one person, a Carlton person; SOS, GWS had him, GCS didn’t. :moustache:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They've built a great culture up there and are reaping the rewards for sticking to a well thought through plan from the outset (putting all of the players up at breakfast point, tapping the Canberra market, genuinely engaging with every school in the district over and over again) and as a result now have 30,000 members in a really tough market and are becoming more and more relevant up there.

The have retained players by being able to identify which players had flaws (shiel and treloar) and selling them for overs and keeping the genuine heart and soul players. You say that they only had three players out but Whitfield is one of the absolute elite of the comp, Toby is an out and out 30 touch 2 goal player every week and we were prepared to pay cogs $1.8 mill in year 1 we thought that highly of him. That doesn't even take into account lids, Patton or Callum ward.

This whole "The afl has got their players to stay" is the stuff of 14 year old theorists. They stayed because they have been well treated by the club, can see the club's future mapped out and can see success looming the opposite is exactly why the sun's players have been keen to leave.

Personally I say well done to the admin of the giants. You have made afl relevant to a key market in Australia's biggest city . You will have more members and bigger crowds next year as a result. And I hope that you smash the tigers next week .

Well said and like pending if you can amend said player to Callan Ward..

Unfortunately GCFC has lost the start-up advantage of the bonding that GWS have fostered (Breakfast Point > Lambert’s > coaches/off-field) & club spirit.

Long way back for GCFC but they’re reportedly trying to fix their development program and facilities are now up there in the league following the Commonwealth Games. They need to take a leaf out of Brisbane’s book to stem retention issues without putting the salary cap under the pump.

Last edited:
Well said and like pending if you can amend said player to Callan Ward..

Unfortunately GCFC has lost the start-up advantage of the bonding that GWS have fostered (Breakfast Point > Lambert’s > coaches/off-field) & club spirit.

Long way back for GCFC but they’re reportedly trying to fix their development program and facilities are now up there in the league following the Commonwealth Games. They need to take a leaf out of Brisbane’s book to stem retention issues without putting the salary cap under the pump.

GC messed up by making Junior the captain. Put a big rift through the playing group with his little prayer circles and isnt what you'd call an onfield leader.

GC messed up by making Junior the captain. Put a big rift through the playing group with his little prayer circles and isnt what you'd call an onfield leader.

Yes, the cash grab (including the contract renewal, front loading before departing) didn’t turn out as hoped for all. I think only Harbrow turned out positive on their recruits...?

No stitches when you have your appendix removed (well I didn’t anyway)

Had mine done on a Friday and played a GF the weekend after.
Doctor was being interviewed about the procedure on sen and mentioned the stitches on the inside around the abdominal muscles being the most at risk
im not a doc just going by what was said

Doctor was being interviewed about the procedure on sen and mentioned the stitches on the inside around the abdominal muscles being the most at risk
im not a doc just going by what was said

Not a problem, the doc would know.

I just know with mine I played 8 days later. And that was years ago so technology probably even better now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back