Religion Ask a Christian - Continued in Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just having a quick laugh reading the nonsense during my lunch break.

Some of the religious posters here dont seem to have much of a grasp of logical reasoning or science.

Nobody knows for sure that the sun won't appear fluorescent blue tomorrow, but that doesn't make it a probable outcome.

There's no logical reasoning that will conclude that the Christian or Muslim god is real. What you have is faith and belief as part of your subjective experience of what you call god.

If there is a god, it has chosen to leave NO objective evidence for its existence or any means to prove that your particular brand is it. It hasn't done a single thing since starting the big bang.

Believing in a god that has no interest in you and does nothing seems pointless to me, but whatever floats your boat I guess.
It kind of makes you wonder what else they might believe without have one scintilla of evidence to support that belief

Sweden, Czech, Japan, Norway, UK, Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, etc etc etc

You can google it yourself but I doubt you'd be keen to read anything that doesn't confirm your own religious bias
You be correct. Not sure about Netherlands; very Catholic history.
Current statistics suggest that worldwide, there are:
2.3 billion Christians
1.9 billion Islam
1.1 billion Atheists/Agnostics/Secular/Non religious
1.1 billion Hindus
500 million Buddhists
We all have our own slant on things like faith. I have explained how mine came to be.
You have not explained how you came to your pov.

To me it makes less sense, but then again I cannot disprove "God", in the same way I cannot disprove the existence of the "Flyng Spaghetti Monster".

That is an all too common argument that is made that infers that your understanding is better. It isn't. It can't be.

You in turn infer that your understanding is better than mine. It isn't.

LOL.

My understanding that there is no explanation for God is the same as my understanding of no explanation for anything before Big Bang.
There is no explanation.
Your argument is effectively belief in God is based on nothing but my belief in <insert your belief> , also based on nothing, is so much better.
Don't be ridiculous.

I'm saying that you're applying different standards.

Religion doesn't explain anything to a satisfactory standard (y) , therefore it's explanation of it's own Big Bang (God) (x) is BS.
Whereas science explains everything after the Big Bang to a satisfactory standard (y) .....therefore it can, or will, explain everything up to Big Bang (x).

In both cases, and using the same standard, there is nothing in Y that satisfactorily explains X. Both require a leap of faith.
You're willing to take that leap with science but seem to be railing against people that take very same leap when it comes to religion.
Big Bang is a theory and I don’t think science has explained everything after Big Bang at all. I don’t think that’s a leap of faith to believe the theory may be a possibility.

2.3 billion Christians
1.9 billion Islam
1.1 billion Hindus
500 million Buddhists
We all have our own slant on things like faith. I have explained how mine came to be.

What are you even trying to argue? Quoting the total amount of religious people in the world doesn't prove a thing about less religious countries being safer. So pointless

I have picked the least religious countries in the world based on ratio of religious vs non-religious people in their country, and those countries consistently have lower crime rate and less wars than those with the higher ratios, such as African countries, Middle East and America

May want to stop projecting on the whole "not explained" thing, you haven't even made an argument and used anything substantial to back yourself up

Big Bang is a theory and I don’t think science has explained everything after Big Bang at all. I don’t think that’s a leap of faith to believe the theory may be a possibility.
Big Bang does not explain anything before Big Bang.
The leap of faith comes from believing that because there is an explanation Big Bang then there will also be an explanation for before Big Bang...maybe from Big Bang theory itself, maybe another theory...either way it still requires a leap of faith.

My understanding that there is no explanation for God is the same as my understanding of no explanation for anything before Big Bang.
There is no explanation.
Your argument is effectively belief in God is based on nothing but my belief in <insert your belief> , also based on nothing, is so much better.
Don't be ridiculous.

Do I really have to go through the scientific evidence that supports an event such as the Big Bang again? What there was beforehand of course is purely speculative. However I see no evidence to suppose it was "god", as you presume. Whatever "god" might be is unknowable. Your presumption that "god exists and what the nature of "god" is purely based on faith / belief alone.

Big Bang does not explain anything before Big Bang.
The leap of faith comes from believing that because there is an explanation Big Bang then there will also be an explanation for before Big Bang...maybe from Big Bang theory itself, maybe another theory...either way it still requires a leap of faith.
They have observations that ‘fits in’ with some of the theory of the bb after it occurred ...this is just one in good article...

2911344A-1B6E-4C27-8C55-FE090F51EC0F.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2.3 billion Christians
1.9 billion Islam
1.1 billion Hindus
500 million Buddhists
I would also say that the Church throughput history has been in far worse positions then it is right now.

The other thingIfeel a generation ago there were a lot more people who went to Church cause it was a 'good thing to do then today so maybe previous stats were somewhat inflated.

I think in another generation or 2 Christianity could well be on the increase.

Another question for you Vdubs is what do you feel us Christianity greatest contributions to society these days?

2.3 billion Christians
1.9 billion Islam
1.1 billion Hindus
500 million Buddhists

Hardly a true figure. For example in Scandinavia you must register with your church if you are from a Christian family. They are counted as Christians however vast majority of Scandinavia is atheist. Similarly many many Muslims are not outspoken because of the blasphemy and apostasy laws that there. All these figures are simply generalised. The numbers are far less than this.

I would also say that the Church throughput history has been in far worse positions then it is right now.

The other thingIfeel a generation ago there were a lot more people who went to Church cause it was a 'good thing to do then today so maybe previous stats were somewhat inflated.

I think in another generation or 2 Christianity could well be on the increase.

Another question for you Vdubs is what do you feel us Christianity greatest contributions to society these days?
INDIVIDUALLY...
Christianity today, for those who put their relationship with Jesus as a priority in their lives, helps them have a ministry mindset, to value every encounter they have with people, whether they be on Big Footy, at various places of work, at the gym, at the Apple store, friends, family, shops, anywhere.

That to me is the biggest contribution to people in society.

It can be one on one. It's that genuine concern for a person's well-being, whether or not they have faith. We get put into peoples' lives for a reason.

I met a young guy at a work situation, who happened to be working for an opposition team to mine. At the end of the match, which was a GF, I asked him if he wanted to do some work for a team in a different code, as we were short of staff. He came back to me with care and thoroughness on repeated occasions until we had enough coverage, and then some more.
I had never met him, but such was his demeanour and genuine concern that i asked him if he was Christian. He was thrilled I did, and he said his faith was paramount in helping him function in his workplace.

CORPORATELY...
Churches are still a place of worship, encouragement, friendship, spiritual growth, education, and OUTREACH, and in our experience, money is rarely spoken about or an issue.

Our church has various useful ministries- children and family, young and teens, men and women, seniors, special interest groups, boys brigade, girls brigade, creche, MOPS- a great programme for all mums in the community, believers or not; Playgroup; Prayer groups.

Our outreach programmes include overseas and local missions, KIDS HOPE- a mentoring programme for primary kids, Red Frogs- a group of volunteers who look after schoolies after overindulging in alcohol- they are a special group of people who go above and beyond in a practical sense, like cleaning up rooms, washing away vomit, washing clothes, supplying food and drink, insuring none of them are too far gone, it is amazing and valuable.
Other useful outreaches include helping people in our area with special needs, and also an outreach group to those with an involvement in gaming.
There are numerous sporting affiliations- tennis, basketball, indoor soccer, table tennis.

Seriously, these are all situations that Jesus himself would have been involved in. These outeaches are modelled on his example.

We are not a large church.

Last edited:
Hardly a true figure. For example in Scandinavia you must register with your church if you are from a Christian family. They are counted as Christians however vast majority of Scandinavia is atheist. Similarly many many Muslims are not outspoken because of the blasphemy and apostasy laws that there. All these figures are simply generalised. The numbers are far less than this.
As would be the cases for the many Christians in overseas missions and their followers, who can not declare their faith.

As would be the cases for the many Christians in overseas missions and their followers, who can not declare their faith.

Which countries would that be? countries like India have quite a large Christian population, specially in the South and they usually enjoy a higher status.

But i can tell you from my own experience, atheists are less outspoken in 3rd world countries due to lack of tolerance and apostasy laws.

Which countries would that be? countries like India have quite a large Christian population, specially in the South and they usually enjoy a higher status.

But i can tell you from my own experience, atheists are less outspoken in 3rd world countries due to lack of tolerance and apostasy laws.
India has more unreached peoples than any other country.900 million people in Northern India are unreached. 4500 Christian related charities in India have been shut down recently.
Bangladesh. Albania, Thailand, Burma, Laos... I can not recall at present.

India has more unreached peoples than any other country.900 million people in Northern India are unreached. 4500 Christian related charities in India have been shut down recently.
Bangladesh. Albania, Thailand, Burma, Laos... I can not recall at present.

Not christians, christians enjoy a privileged life in India. You will always find them in the Church on a sunday morning. I spend 3 months a year in India, while you are right but it doesn't apply to South Asia. Small communities stick together in these countries.

and 900 million unreached people? you mean 90 million?

Not christians, christians enjoy a privileged life in India. You will always find them in the Church on a sunday morning. I spend 3 months a year in India, while you are right but it doesn't apply to South Asia. Small communities stick together in these countries.

and 900 million unreached people? you mean 90 million?
900 million !
The population is nearly 1.4 billion!! That is about 18% of the total world population.

900 million !
The population is nearly 1.4 billion!! That is about 18% of the total world population.
You said 900 million people in Northern India. 900 million people don't live in Northern India.

And while what you are saying is true about christian charities, the last Indian census in 2014 had 28.9 million Christians. That's quite a significant number for a non christian country.

If you have been to the North East of India or even in Delhi, you can clearly see how the Christians live together in their community, separate from Hindus and Muslims.

You said 900 million people in Northern India. 900 million people don't live in Northern India.

And while what you are saying is true about christian charities, the last Indian census in 2014 had 28.9 million Christians. That's quite a significant number for a non christian country.

If you have been to the North East of India or even in Delhi, you can clearly see how the Christians live together in their community, separate from Hindus and Muslims.
900 million unreached people in India, mainly Northern.

900 million unreached people in India, mainly Northern.

Yes but census doesn't mean you have to reach everyone. Census is compiled on the basis of surveys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back