Discussion At the end of the day, all we did was thrash a bottom 4 team savaged by injuries!!

Remove this Banner Ad

NeXus_Helen

Club Legend
Suspended
Apr 26, 2007
Campbellfield
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds
Now before you all go jumping up and down I admit the Saints have done a lot better than I thought. I predicted that they would win a maximum of 10 games. They won 13, so I was wrong.

I was rapt with yesterday's results and for the first time in 2 years, genuinely excited. But in the cold light of day, all we did was thrash a bottom 4 team savaged by injuries!! As far as fourth spot is concerned, can someone please tell me when the last time a team with 13 wins finished 4th.

Anyway, it's about time we had some luck after all the injuries we have had over the last 5 years. I just hope the Saints Attack, Attack, Attack and give the flag an almighty shake.

The good thing about it was that the team actually went for the 97 point challenge and achieved it. They could have easily cruised home to a 50 point win.

Exactly. How many times in the past has St Kilda been presented with hard challenges and not delivered on its promise? The win provides us with a crack at the yardstick, and with nothing to lose gives us a great chance at giving them at least a decent shake (nothing more, nothing less). I'm not saying by any stretch the boys will roll the Cats, but instead of having everyone's expectations firmly on our shoulders and disappointing time after time, we can go in with self belief and passion for a bloke that has given pretty much his whole life to the cause in Harvey.

I'm not calling for a miracle, but it doesn't hurt to pray every now and then does it? ;):D

The good thing about it was that the team actually went for the 97 point challenge and achieved it. They could have easily cruised home to a 50 point win.

Absolutely spot on. This was a true test of our resolve no matter who we were playing against. Fantastic effort :thumbsu:

BTW: I know NH was taking the piss with the thread title but it must be close to sacrilege :p

Ross Lyon made a very good comment regarding the thrashing of a bottom 5 team (for the record, Essendon were 12th !) savaged by injuries:

I certainly don't get up and bounce out of my house and think 'let's win by 100 points' ... I come to AFL games knowing that if you don't compete and you don't chase and tackle, you get embarrassed very quickly.

It was only a bottom five team savaged by injuries, but you have to beat them first. And then you have to thrash them by the required margin.

C'wood and North played bottom 4 teams (real bottom 4 teams !) needing 'only' a win - and couldn't do it !

Full credit to St Kilda and Ross Lyon.

Oh, and by the way, Collingwood finished 4th in 2002 with 13 wins.

I kept away from this thread as I thought it was about thrashing and savaging bottoms which really isn't "how you make porridge" as they say in the classics.

But if it was good enough for HMC I guess it was worth a look.

We lost Seany D in the first few minutes of the game, and the farewell guys (Rama, JJ, Peverill and Big Mal) were all serviceable.

If you had of presented this scenario and offered a 10 goal win I would have taken it.

100 point wins do not happen regularly, unless you were playing the Saints in the mid-80s. You take them with relish against anyone.

Even though we missed about 10 fairly gettable shots at goal, at some stage you'd have to say we couldn't do much more on the day.

The game allowed us to break the shackles of a previously defensive game plan, and yet we again tackled and harrassed with purpose - something we did not do against Geelong last time.

Geelong are obviously the benchmark and no-one has really cracked the code of stopping Ablett, Bartel & Scarlett.

This is what Ross is paid for, so we'll see whether he comes up with anything funky on the day. We'll get a fair idea with the selection decisions.

I kept away from this thread as I thought it was about thrashing and savaging bottoms which really isn't "how you make porridge" as they say in the classics.

See what happens when you're not clear with thread titles? Poor Joey's got confused (although strangely Harvs doesn't seem to mind).

Sheahan.JPG

Dons have been riddled with injuries for weeks.

Last week, 8 goal loss to Dogs.
2 weeks ago, 9 goal loss to Crows
3 weeks ago, 10 point loss to the Eagles.

Yesterday, 18 goal loss to the saints.

We did a hell of a lot more than the last few sides did. It's all reative.

Look, fact is, this week Geelong ("the bench-mark team", as Ross Lyon said, and we'd all agree on) beat a team even lower on the ladder, the Water Closets, by 99 points. So yes, beating the Bombers was always going to be a high possibility, but it takes something special to beat a team - any team - by 108 points.

Having said that, NH, you are spot on about the 13 wins. The fact is, usually if a team got 13 wins they'd be in 7th or 8th, possibly even only getting into 8th on percentage. So on that level, I'm not massively excited - we aren't Geelong with 21-1, or Hawks with all their wins either. We shouldn't really be in this position, but for a few miraculous losses by others.

But, again, having said that, when we lost against WC at Subi, the vitriol (from you included, lest we forget, NH) that was barraged down upon the Saints was horrific, and I haven't heard stuff-all of that about the Kangas or Pies. They lose, it's a blip on the windscreen, or the result of a tiring month - we lose, and we're an abomination who won't have anything to contribute. But at the end of the day, we are the fourth best side in the 2008 season. That's what the ladder indicates. We're better than those "brave Shinboners", we're better than those "silky Magpies", we're better than those "determined Swans", and we're better than those "talented Crows." Nobody will admit that out there, no matter what the facts (ie, the ladder) says. But, like that's ever mattered to Ross Lyon, or I suspect to the players that he's come to lead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now before you all go jumping up and down I admit the Saints have done a lot better than I thought. I predicted that they would win a maximum of 10 games. They won 13, so I was wrong.

I was rapt with yesterday's results and for the first time in 2 years, genuinely excited. But in the cold light of day, all we did was thrash a bottom 4 team savaged by injuries!! As far as fourth spot is concerned, can someone please tell me when the last time a team with 13 wins finished 4th.

Anyway, it's about time we had some luck after all the injuries we have had over the last 5 years. I just hope the Saints Attack, Attack, Attack and give the flag an almighty shake.

Were you there?

all we know is that nexus got on the sauce very early today and is well and truly gone now.

That said, s/he is an almighty fisherman (or fisherwoman?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back