Toast Wilkie & Sinclair named All-Australian, Marshall makes squad of 44

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints conceded the least points against of any team this year, 13 less than Melbourne, 40 less than Collingwood, 50 less than Carlton. Makes sense that the fullback from the best defensive team, an undersized fullback who regularly concedes 5-10cm on his direct opponent and yet has taken the most marks in the competition, is the AA fullback?
On top of that, you would expect that a defensive player from that defensive outfit would make AA.
Given that Sincs isn't really there for his lockdown roles, it makes sense that Wilkie would be selected.
But you know...he's AA, and will always be remembered as such - as opposed to Whately and King's comments which will be quickly forgotten.

Great outcome. Well deserved. Commentators are about as knowledgeable as wet wipes...Wilkie has been massive this year, and Sinc's has gone to yet another level.
We've had representation for the last 4 years now, however it's nice to have it doubled with two of our guys in the AA team
Next year hopefully it's doubled again...Marshall will be thereabouts, King if he can stay on the park, and NAS looking likely, and possibly Owens if he keeps tracking well

Wow went back and watched it after the comments on here. The tone of that was absolutely disgraceful. Talking like it was some grave error that he made the team whilst he was on stage enjoying the crowning moment of a remarkable story to date. Not once actually acknowledging his strengths and what he has done as a player. Im sure his family were watching and were shattered to hear that. It’s true Andrews and Weitering are stiff to miss out but if there was a controversial selection it’s Stewart, picked entirely on reputation this year. If I was the club I would contact Fox to complain, such a weird way to present the night.

Wow went back and watched it after the comments on here. The tone of that was absolutely disgraceful. Talking like it was some grave error that he made the team whilst he was on stage enjoying the crowning moment of a remarkable story to date. Not once actually acknowledging his strengths and what he has done as a player. Im sure his family were watching and were shattered to hear that. It’s true Andrews and Weitering are stiff to miss out but if there was a controversial selection it’s Stewart, picked entirely on reputation this year. If I was the club I would contact Fox to complain, such a weird way to present the night.
Couldn't agree more. To my mind Stewart was the lucky one, clearly picked on his reputation.

Off topic but I noticed that Nathan Buckley was the only judge to vote for Mitch Owens to win the Rising Star. Never liked Buckley as a player or coach but reckon he's a decent analyst. He also seems to have a bit of a soft spot for the Saints.

Same I used to hate the guy but he is unironically one of the best media commentators out there imo and one of the few that seems to like us.

So is Gringo finally going to admit we have A graders in our squad

I think we have a few A graders, absolute elite talent is probably still missing. Sinclair is pushing elite on his 2023 form. We still lack top end and need to keep developing the youth and hope they push up.

I think we have a few A graders, absolute elite talent is probably still missing. Sinclair is pushing elite on his 2023 form. We still lack top end and need to keep developing the youth and hope they push up.
Correct, a very even base, but we need a Bont or Cripps or a Dusty to compliment Sinc's and top graders Steele, Crouch etc

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Surely Sincs is elite?
What more do you want him to do?
And Wilkie for that matter? Which forwards have given him a bath?
And they’ve both had a few very consistent years in a row.
Marshall an A grader.

Think you’re a harsh judge of your own team.

Surely Sincs is elite?
What more do you want him to do?
And Wilkie for that matter? Which forwards have given him a bath?
And they’ve both had a few very consistent years in a row.
Marshall an A grader.

Think you’re a harsh judge of your own team.

A against the Cats he definitely looked elite. To me the guys that are the absolute elite are match winners and game changers. Bont, Danger, Fyfe, Dusty etc all find an extra gear and strap their sides on their backs. If he has a big finals series I'll give him elite. He's got a fingernail on it now. Reputations are forged in September.

Even Wilkie is pretty close to elite but he's blue collar elite in being the top of the tall defender pile. 100% guts, determination and work ethic. There are flasher players but he gets the business done.

Marshall has had a huge year too. All three have been massive and Crouch is probably another having close to an A grade season when we needed to have someone step up to cover others.

Nas and Wood straddling the line of A grade too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A against the Cats he definitely looked elite. To me the guys that are the absolute elite are match winners and game changers. Bont, Danger, Fyfe, Dusty etc all find an extra gear and strap their sides on their backs. If he has a big finals series I'll give him elite. He's got a fingernail on it now. Reputations are forged in September.

Even Wilkie is pretty close to elite but he's blue collar elite in being the top of the tall defender pile. 100% guts, determination and work ethic. There are flasher players but he gets the business done.

Marshall has had a huge year too. All three have been massive and Crouch is probably another having close to an A grade season when we needed to have someone step up to cover others.

Nas and Wood straddling the line of A grade too.
I think Sincs has won matches for us.
And in defence, Wilkie has too. You don’t need to be a flashy Darcy Moore type.

I think Sincs has won matches for us.
And in defence, Wilkie has too. You don’t need to be a flashy Darcy Moore type

Can be fixed.

How say you Callum?

Au03cBt.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maaattee seriously Sinclair is one of the best 5 players in the league. There’s no better kicker in the league. No cleaner player and no more damaging player. Wilkie is the best defender in the league. Chito/Pou will get to the levels of the elite mids. Oh and there’s max.

Maaattee seriously Sinclair is one of the best 5 players in the league. There’s no better kicker in the league. No cleaner player and no more damaging player. Wilkie is the best defender in the league. Chito/Pou will get to the levels of the elite mids. Oh and there’s max.
Agree with this. Sincs is so good, probably still underrated. He breaks lines, gets heaps of the footy and cuts teams up with his ball use. That game the other day, 38 disposals at 82% efficiency for a guy who is aggressive with his ball use is unbelievable

If he stands up in finals like he did against Geelong I'll give you elite. I think he's close but we've been doing this for the last decade with people calling our GOPs elite. Sinclair isn't in company with Bont, Danger, Dusty types yet but he could definitely get himself close with a huge September.

At the moment he's a very good very consistent A grade player. Elite is beyond that Olly Wines type of level, Oliver is probably elite, Petracca etc.

If he stands up in finals like he did against Geelong I'll give you elite. I think he's close but we've been doing this for the last decade with people calling our GOPs elite. Sinclair isn't in company with Bont, Danger, Dusty types yet but he could definitely get himself close with a huge September.

At the moment he's a very good very consistent A grade player. Elite is beyond that Olly Wines type of level, Oliver is probably elite, Petracca etc.
Can elite players only be Midfielders in your eyes ? Sinclair is the best half back in the league. There is not one player I’d have kicking the ball over him. Wilkie is one of the top full backs in the game. Find me someone who can go from playing on Jeremy Cameron to acharlir Curnow to Toby Green.

If Oliver is elite then Sinclair is. You want 40 Oliver touches or 30 of Sincs.

Yep, I think that’s what the average fan seems to underestimate.

Wilkie has been consistent all year. Blokes like Andrews had some amazing patches but also had an average patch as well. I literally cannot recall Wilkie playing a bad game at all this year.

Incredibly reliable

Versatile as well, arguably the most versatile defender in the comp. Can keep the Jezzas and Curnows quiet, can effectively play on a Dusty or Fyfe type when they drift forward as well. Can be accountable but can drift off his man to intercept when the situation warrants. Great blend of strength, agility and footy smarts. One of the safest exit kicks from defence going around.

I haven't listened to any of the commentary around AA selection (because honestly why would you) but it seems like this year the selectors went for an actual team (that could match up on their own mirror) with actual wings and a forwad / defensive unit that could work cohesively.

Edit: Didn't read Ads734's post before I replied, got sandra'ed a bit there.

Can elite players only be Midfielders in your eyes ? Sinclair is the best half back in the league. There is not one player I’d have kicking the ball over him. Wilkie is one of the top full backs in the game. Find me someone who can go from playing on Jeremy Cameron to acharlir Curnow to Toby Green.
Sincs has played his fair share of mid as well this year. The game against Geelong was almost like watching Harvs

If Oliver is elite then Sinclair is. You want 40 Oliver touches or 30 of Sincs.

Oliver is a prime mover midfielder who takes hold of matches. He might sit just below too. If Sinclair does it in finals he probably starts to get close. Playing off HBF is a fair bit easier than winning first use and moving it too. Sinclair is by far our best player and already in that top 20 AFL player sort of range but he's not up with the absolute cream of the comp yet. I'd say there aren't that many true elites in the AFL at the moment. Danger, Dusty, Bont, Petracca, Jeremy Cameron. I reckon Toby Greene sits in-between them and the next down like Cripps, Sincs, Daicos types. There are a few good kids coming through who might get there like Noah Anderson, Rozee and Butters.

No Dusty was elite, Cameron is elite probably, maybe peak Buddy too. Fyfe was a hybrid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back