Autopsy Round 16, 2023: West Coast v St.Kilda *WILKIE 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Crouch is not playing like a B grader, he is thoroughly underrated.

Averaging 28 disposals a game this season, 13 of which are contested. Had 17 tackles last week. Definitely A grade player. Just not elite. Suppose it’s up to interpretation!
Crouch is the only mid we have who performs every week , we get Sinclair as a full time mid and he could be that point of difference to really get us looking like a finals team - the only thing is they need help.

Brad Crouch zero votes from the coaches, 17 tackles, smothered West Coasts last set shot on goal when they were about 8 points down, busted his gut all day. “Hmmmm nah, not in the top 5”, cop that champ lol.

Brad Crouch zero votes from the coaches, 17 tackles, smothered West Coasts last set shot on goal when they were about 8 points down, busted his gut all day. “Hmmmm nah, not in the top 5”, cop that champ lol.
Dude gets my votes most games. Only bloke in the middle who pushes himself to the limit.

We just don't have many mids left to try. Bytel and Connolly and hopefully a fit Jones looks like the extent of it. List management hasn't been particularly strong in the last few years.
Yes, I agree.only those 3 left as a mid. And we might get rid of all 3 at the end of this season.

Seen that, Amazing

This is probably not the right thread for this post but I need to say something about the Tassie team as it seems to crop up regarding future draft picks. I'm an old Tassie bloke with a fair grasp of our history and politics. We have a very long history of our politicians, some even otherwise relatively competent, doing completely crazy, loopy deals. We've done it again as I doubt the Tassie team will ever happen. The reason is very simple.

The deal our government, well, not the "government" as most of the governing MP's and probably most of the Cabinet don't seem to have seen it before the Premier signed it, is a dud. The AFL insisted that to have a team based in Tas we had to have a stadium with a roof, and it has to be at Macquarie Point. Both those conditions must be satisfied otherwise the license is null and void.

Mac Pt is prime real estate, in part being reclaimed land, that is used as a port, to store saw logs prior to shipment (true!!), host a major sewerage treatment plant and then has historic buildings with a variety of uses, such as top quality accommodation, university arts studios, tourist outlets, restaurants, etc. I've forgotten how many decades we've had very highly paid bureaucrats trying to develop a plan for the community use of the site. Many great ideas, lots of stupid ones and nada, zilch, nought. It is ideal for the right idea. But a stadium can't fit there unless some of the historic buildings go, the hill for the ANZAC cenotaph is dug into, or both and none of the essential community requirements are met. Plus the sewerage relocation hasn't happened for at least a decade because its many hundreds of millions and who pays for that?

And then how do the people come and go, how is any traffic movement possible other than ferries to the eastern shore? It would be so clogged up that there is absolutely no room for easy access other than walking. To and from where?

All developers claim its a 7-8 year process to design and build and it can't happen before 2030-31. But the AFL want 2028. Our Premier has agreed to it for $720M when it will cost at least $1.5B to do it properly.

Now I'm strongly in favour of a Tassie team and for a roofed stadium, but not a white elephant that will cripple our economy. (Even if it is highly successful it will probably cripple our economy for a decade until the benefits are realised.) I have no idea where the stadium should be built but there are alternative sites that would require different transport solutions. However, the AFL insists on these terms, our Premier has signed it and there it is.

If I was a conspiracy theorist I would suggest the AFL has insisted on such impossibly difficult terms that the dream team can't happen. But they can say it's our fault not theirs. Of course, if they put the kind of money into it as they've done for GWS or the Gold Coast and had realistic time frames and an appropriate site none of this would evident. But I'm not a conspiracy theorist so I'm buggered if I know why they've done it this way. AFL arrogance on one hand and Tasmanian political stupidity/desperation on the other?

And, I'm in the majority of Tasmanians about the stadium, not the team, which is really sad. So, don't worry about draft picks going to the Tassie Devils because it won't happen.
Very interesting, thank you for posting mate.

This is probably not the right thread for this post but I need to say something about the Tassie team as it seems to crop up regarding future draft picks. I'm an old Tassie bloke with a fair grasp of our history and politics. We have a very long history of our politicians, some even otherwise relatively competent, doing completely crazy, loopy deals. We've done it again as I doubt the Tassie team will ever happen. The reason is very simple.

The deal our government, well, not the "government" as most of the governing MP's and probably most of the Cabinet don't seem to have seen it before the Premier signed it, is a dud. The AFL insisted that to have a team based in Tas we had to have a stadium with a roof, and it has to be at Macquarie Point. Both those conditions must be satisfied otherwise the license is null and void.

Mac Pt is prime real estate, in part being reclaimed land, that is used as a port, to store saw logs prior to shipment (true!!), host a major sewerage treatment plant and then has historic buildings with a variety of uses, such as top quality accommodation, university arts studios, tourist outlets, restaurants, etc. I've forgotten how many decades we've had very highly paid bureaucrats trying to develop a plan for the community use of the site. Many great ideas, lots of stupid ones and nada, zilch, nought. It is ideal for the right idea. But a stadium can't fit there unless some of the historic buildings go, the hill for the ANZAC cenotaph is dug into, or both and none of the essential community requirements are met. Plus the sewerage relocation hasn't happened for at least a decade because its many hundreds of millions and who pays for that?

And then how do the people come and go, how is any traffic movement possible other than ferries to the eastern shore? It would be so clogged up that there is absolutely no room for easy access other than walking. To and from where?

All developers claim its a 7-8 year process to design and build and it can't happen before 2030-31. But the AFL want 2028. Our Premier has agreed to it for $720M when it will cost at least $1.5B to do it properly.

Now I'm strongly in favour of a Tassie team and for a roofed stadium, but not a white elephant that will cripple our economy. (Even if it is highly successful it will probably cripple our economy for a decade until the benefits are realised.) I have no idea where the stadium should be built but there are alternative sites that would require different transport solutions. However, the AFL insists on these terms, our Premier has signed it and there it is.

If I was a conspiracy theorist I would suggest the AFL has insisted on such impossibly difficult terms that the dream team can't happen. But they can say it's our fault not theirs. Of course, if they put the kind of money into it as they've done for GWS or the Gold Coast and had realistic time frames and an appropriate site none of this would evident. But I'm not a conspiracy theorist so I'm buggered if I know why they've done it this way. AFL arrogance on one hand and Tasmanian political stupidity/desperation on the other?

And, I'm in the majority of Tasmanians about the stadium, not the team, which is really sad. So, don't worry about draft picks going to the Tassie Devils because it won't happen.
Great info Circus , thks for your view.

I feel like most of our players are conditioned to play panic football, which we revert to as soon as we're under pressure or low on confidence.

This was terrible footy, but thank f#$k we won!!

Outside of the expansion clubs formative years, no team has a worse percentage in a single season since 1955.

Not recency bias, just facts.
Right, so you just randomly excluded facts that didn't support your narrative (expansion teams) and based the criteria of "worst" on one measure - percentage! I would argue that the Saints team for most of the 80's were close to the worst on record in the history of the game, and I reckon there would be a few on here that endured that decade on the terraces at Moorabbin, and I suspect they would probably support my position.
We were wooden spooners from every year from 1983 to 1988 excluding just 1987 !! We were bottom 3 for 8 straight years. We started 1985 with three consecutive 100+ point losses !! I don't know if the record still stands, but in 1982 we set the record for the most points conceded in a home and away season (3052 at an average of 139 per game).

Posted without comment ( official St.Kilda Twitter account)

Dougal Howard led the team last night in:

👉 Marks (11)
👉 Contested marks (3)
👉 Intercept marks (4)
👉 Spoils (5)
👉 One percenters (6)

Gws seem about as reliable as us week to week.

In the last two weeks they’ve beaten a woefully inaccurate Melbourne and flogged a Freo who didn’t get out of the bus, prior to that solid win against a poor north, just got pipped by the Tigers, beat another woefully inaccurate Geelong, got done by us, got flogged by the pies and got beaten by the dogs.
They have been as good as anyone bar the top 3 in the comp over the last little while. I’m pretty sure if we beat Geelong in Geelong we would be over the moon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

👉 Marks (11)
👉 Contested marks (3)
👉 Intercept marks (4)
👉 Spoils (5)
👉 One percenters (6)
Was good to see him mark the ball instead of punching it every time

It’s often those doing the in and under hard stufff that doesn’t get noticed.
Without Crouch yesterday will lose by 5 goals.

A mid has to be very high impact to get votes these days. Guys that rack up touches that don't hurt as much get marked down. Crouch was great compared to our other mids but he was more workhorse than match winner. We'd have been majorly ****ed without him this year though. He's like a Toyota Hilux, just an absolutely reliable tank. I thought Lyon would have chucked him a vote though, he loves a workhorse.

Right, so you just randomly excluded facts that didn't support your narrative (expansion teams) and based the criteria of "worst" on one measure - percentage! I would argue that the Saints team for most of the 80's were close to the worst on record in the history of the game, and I reckon there would be a few on here that endured that decade on the terraces at Moorabbin, and I suspect they would probably support my position.
We were wooden spooners from every year from 1983 to 1988 excluding just 1987 !! We were bottom 3 for 8 straight years. We started 1985 with three consecutive 100+ point losses !! I don't know if the record still stands, but in 1982 we set the record for the most points conceded in a home and away season (3052 at an average of 139 per game).
Weird hill to die on but anyway haha what's random about it? 1955 is the last time a team had a worse percentage than this Eagles side. GWS in 2012 was worse but if you want to say that a bunch of teenagers is comparative in any way to a bunch of grown men then I don't think that's very fair. If we exclude them, like I openly admitted, then 1955 was worse. I didn't hide anything lol.

And of course I'm going to use examples that support my argument, that's what happens in a discussion 😂 look, you're even doing it yourself. Accusing me of shifting goal posts but then here you are rattling off an entire decade of results when from the start my comment was about the worst performance in a single season.

Defending our shithouse performance because the 2023 Eagles are the 2nd worst side since 1955 instead of the worst side isn't something for us to be happy about lol. It's atrocious.

👉 Marks (11)
👉 Contested marks (3)
👉 Intercept marks (4)
👉 Spoils (5)
👉 One percenters (6)

He was good after doing a few dumb things early while the game was looking like going off the rails. Same with Gresham, started looking like he was going to lose us the game and in the end both were going well when the game needed to be turned around. When you've decided that a player is a spud it's hard to see beyond that no matter what they do.

He was good after doing a few dumb things early while the game was looking like going off the rails. Same with Gresham, started looking like he was going to lose us the game and in the end both were going well when the game needed to be turned around. When you've decided that a player is a spud it's hard to see beyond that no matter what they do.
Similar analogy to a broken clock is right twice a day. Yeah he'll have some decent games but he has a lot of work to do to repair the damage he has caused this year. Costs us multiple goals every week and we need to look to move him on as soon as we can.

He’s got to learn to get the ball and kick it - and just realise he’s not Pendlebury who can weave and sell candy - even Hill tried it once too often.

When you've decided that a player is a spud it's hard to see beyond that no matter what they do.

KOYAkgJ.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back