Preview Round 16, 2023: West Coast v St.Kilda - Optus Stadium, Sunday 2nd July, 4:40PM AEST *WILKIE 100TH*

Who Wins?

• Eagles

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • Saints

Votes: 38 70.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like Peris is in, so it'll be interesting to see who gets dropped. Maybe Phillipou as sub? Either him or Higgins you'd think.

Training report:

Stoppage clearance work team v team, focus on delivering i50 to leading fwd.
Nas, sincs, wood, kicking at King, ro, owens, pou.

HB and HF one on one vs each other with high ball coming in. Mark, quick release back out of d50. Owens, stocker, Higgins strong.

Fwds/Mids working on delivery i50. 3 fwds take different leads drawing their opponent with them. One at the footy, two wide or one stays deep. Kicker in goes over fwd leading at them to player deep. Less obvious and predictable i50 kicks. Multiple times I predicted where it was going to go incorrectly (probably says more about my footy nous than anything)

Small match sim style.
Boris kicked chaos ball to one sides half back to start each time.
Wilkie on hayes
Coff on owens did well, halved 2 good contests where was out of position due to quick turn over.
Hunter in a lot. Kept busy and ran well, mostly seemed on ball.

Campbell, Connoly, Paton, Highmore, Van Es, Adams, Hotton all came in after this, did light kicking drills, jogged the outside. Then joined team v team.

Keeler separate. Ran laps at very good pace.

Full field team v team, looked like focused on faster ball movement from def to fwd. Kicks i50 less predictable but not very accurate. Several missed targets.

Coff and Clarke finished early. Clarke heavy strapping on knee, but seemed okay.

Ross Lyon quiet early, later in the match sim him and BJ vocal out in the middle.

Steele seemed to be running really well.
Chased hard, didn't look hampered anywhere near as much as what I'd seen previously. No strapping.

Butler several missed handballs but fwd pressure was easily best on field. Multiple intercepts fwd, and caught defender multiple times.

Didnt see JB out there at all.
Did see him walking his dog at about 9.30 though so there's that...

Ask about any players, I'll see if I can remember much else.

Cheers.
Thanks for the report. Great to hear Coff and Hayes training.

Ps 3 other minor things:

Higgins knee was strapped up but he seemed to move ok

Pou left the track just before the end (had either a sore ankle or Achilles) - pretty sure just a small niggle

Steele - no strapping on his knee & seemed to move well

Enjoyed Ross' press conference today. The most reflective and transparent he has been about our form over the past 6 weeks. I'm sure he was well aware of that already, and was deliberately spinning a different message publicly, but it's still reassuring to hear his clarity about our drop off in form.

Awwww crap knuckles. I go to buy one of those black rugby tops and only size left is small and extra small. Serves me right for trying to con my daughter into buying it for me and missing out.

Enjoyed Ross' press conference today. The most reflective and transparent he has been about our form over the past 6 weeks. I'm sure he was well aware of that already, and was deliberately spinning a different message publicly, but it's still reassuring to hear his clarity about our drop off in form.

Same.

I wish more people on the forum would watch these.

A lot of the concerns that posters here mention are directly addressed.

Noteable

• He didn't like the way we played on the weekend, he thought we lost our boldness and aggressiveness in attack and in defense and we were folding back rather than pushing up to the contest aggressively
  • Acknowledged our clearance and contest work has been sub-par and needs to improve
  • Said they were going over vision from early in the year and training drills that they used in the offseason which had us playing the way they wanted early in the year.

Last edited:
Thanks heaps for the training reports

How was Bytel looking?

Great to hear Steele is moving well!!
No problems!

If I'm honest, he didn't stand out to me.
Came in late with that second group, but I didn't notice him in any training play.

Yep, Steeley looked good. Was good to see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the Swans Eagles game and the Swans were simply scintillating. It seemed the longer the game went the faster their scoring rate became. But it was also just like a training run against witch's hats. It would be foolish to think the Eagles won't play with far more effort on their home deck. They pushed the Pies hard not so long ago until late in the last quarter.

That being said I expect a hard game but if we don't win, even ugly, we're doomed. I think our coaches are too switched on to tolerate that.

pretty sure he only started reading Bigfooty in the last week and now he knows what’s going on.

I’m guessing we would know now if Peris was debuting, the track watchers would have noticed something at training if it were the case.

At best he could be sub though.

That's what I was thinking, he might be the sub but it would be a shame for him to make his debut that way rather than getting a full game.

Although a debut as the sub is better than no debut at all.

Billings was actually walking RTBs dog I believe. The club is 'exploring' a new role for him.

He would be an expensive dog walker, I'm sure RTB could find one cheaper than him.

Put a number on it for hindsight people, what will we be happy with and what will we call a disappointment type of win?

1-20 point win - burn it all down
21-40 point win - not good enough
41-60 point win - eh disappointing but fine
61-80 point win - good but missed out
81-100 point win - good we’ve done what we needed to to keep up with everyone else who’s smashed them
It’s a banana skin game. I just want a win, I don’t care by how much. We need to get back on the winners list because next week will be a real challenge.

Sounds like Peris is in, so it'll be interesting to see who gets dropped. Maybe Phillipou as sub? Either him or Higgins you'd think.
There is no way that Higgins get dropped. Our most reliable goal kicker this year. Byrnes, if anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back